Chiang Mai, Thailand (part 1/4) - The sacred

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
I have split the presentation of my Chiang Mai trip into a few serieses. Here is the starter: Doi Suthrep (mixed with another one), one of the most sacred temples in Thailand. For this trip, I reduced portraits to the minimum, while seeing more other stuff. Temple was a hard subject to me but now I started "see it". Playing with DOF and composition, am pretty amazed at how interesting to shoot inside a temple, especially for the magnificent Doi Suthrep.

Here we go, more on my site. In case you would ask, my setup is: 1D + 24-70/2.8 + 70-200/2.8IS. 24-70 has formally replaced 16-35 and becomes my most useful walkaround lens. Excellent colors and contrast.

tomshen_chiangmai_001.jpg

tomshen_chiangmai_003.jpg

tomshen_chiangmai_007.jpg

tomshen_chiangmai_008.jpg

tomshen_chiangmai_010.jpg

Tom! You used the wrong url to your photos!!! :D

Newman said:
Tom! You used the wrong url to your photos!!! :D
oooooooooooops... :embrass: thx thx

Tom, as usual fantastic close-up shots.... very artistic.
Of course some ppl prefer the usual tourist-type.
This setup is the ideal choice (1D + 24-70/2.8 + 70-200/2.8IS) but i think too heavy for most ppl. I don't think i will ever bring these 2 lens oversea again almost have a permanent damage to my shoulders. no choice still prefer the lighter 16-35mm.

Thanks coke21 and Canonised for your kind compliment :)

Canonised said:
This setup is the ideal choice (1D + 24-70/2.8 + 70-200/2.8IS) but i think too heavy for most ppl. I don't think i will ever bring these 2 lens oversea again almost have a permanent damage to my shoulders. no choice still prefer the lighter 16-35mm.
You are right about the weight, very discouraging. But the difference between 16-35 and 24-70 is not that much, not as significant as the difference between their perspectives. I found 16-35 is good for street photography but its excess of DOF really kills a lot of creative (if applicable) shots. btw, I had a Sigma 15mm fisheye with me as my super wide. Thank god I didn't sell it!! It's extremely useful when shooting in limited space. My 2nd series is made from the fisheye and will upload them a few days later.

Tom, this is an excellent collection of images. I specially like 1, 9 and 22. Love the colours (I'm a velvia / ebx guy anyway :) )

megaweb said:
Very nice series esp those with shallow DOF ...

Agreed with megaweb.

However some comments on few pics.
Pic 3 focus shd be on the eye? Esp since the ear don't have much details.
Pic 8 should probably be tighter and shallow DOF so that the second statue becomes more blur.
Pic 13 the details not interesting enough.
Pic 23 will probably benefit from a tighter crop of the feet.

Just what i feel...

After going through the photos I can only say :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Excellent!!! :thumbsup:
like the composition and DOF esp pic #9
reminds me of an old thread that also showcased buddhist temple pics.

hey thx all for your positive comments :D

nemesis32: thx for your valuable input, will take note...

Whole series has a nice brightness and contrast control but just Photo no.8 contrast can be up a little more to clean up the muddy feel.

As usual, good series of travel photography to showcase Thailand is an interesting place to visit and an excellent place to do some photography.

Pro Image said:
Whole series has a nice brightness and contrast control but just Photo no.8 contrast can be up a little more to clean up the muddy feel.
That one was under the shadow. Anyway since I shot in RAW, will go back and reprocess it. thx for your suggestion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.