Cheated in Yahoo Auctions !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by hongsien
Has your sister asked the seller how he is going to send it? Since it is a high value item it is likely to go by Insured Airmail OR Courier......

Another thing: KEEP ALL emails that you have sent AND received regarding this transaction!! Just in case. If the seller is not in the US, try to find some police contact in that country. Internet fraud is so high these days that many countries have setup their own police dept. investigating these kinds of criminality.

Cyril: I am not sure if one can retract money that was wired directly to a persons account. It is not like using a CC where you can do a 'chargeback' within 60 days or so.

PAYPAL is not so safe as many would think: buyer pays by CC through Paypal, seller sends item, buyer then does a chargeback (OR CC is fake or stolen), seller says goodbey to his item AND money! To prevent Paypal doing a chargeback due to stolen CC's, you may wait three days before sending the item. usually, Paypal wil contact you within three days in case the CC is stolen and not valid.

HS

Well i did mentioned that he didnt let my sis noe cos when my sis had wanted to ask the seller about it, he/she stopped respomding liao. She tot he was merely busy so she waited for a day or two b4 panicking. So till now we still have no idea how the package is gonna be sent if its gonna be sent in the first place.

And Yes, all the mails have been saved. Hope that guy wont hack into my account and erase all the evidence :D :D

Originally posted by alloy
Well i did mentioned that he didnt let my sis noe cos when my sis had wanted to ask the seller about it, he/she stopped respomding liao. She tot he was merely busy so she waited for a day or two b4 panicking. So till now we still have no idea how the package is gonna be sent if its gonna be sent in the first place.

And Yes, all the mails have been saved. Hope that guy wont hack into my account and erase all the evidence :D :D

Print out hardcopies & back up to removeable media.:cool:

Hmmm, backup with harcopy , eg. print out. This one i noe. But how to save it as a document and yet can still prove it as an authentic email i really dunno how.

always buy the seller, meaning, always get from a reputable and trustworthy seller, and not from someone who offers just a fantastic deal. do all the necessary checks on the seller and note how the seller corresponds in the mail. this will let you know how much trust you can place on the seller.

in your sis's case, she'll just have to wait up for the package to arrive. if it doesn't come, even with all the correspondence you have saved, it's hard to see your $$ coming back.

even with the person's name and add, it's hard to hunt him down overseas, and bring him to justice.

whatever the outcome of this auction, hope you'll be more careful with your watch purchase, whether it's local, overseas or online.:)

Yah loh, i guess waiting is the only thing we can do now. And I think when i wanna buy my watch, i wont be buying it anywhere outside Singapore. Most probably will go to either Hour Glass or some other authorised dealer's outlet. I think the money involved then will be much more than the above mentioned.

just another thing to note......even this seller / buyer got some good rating.....check the rating!

cos those con men actually rated themselve!!!!

careful.....if u are seller......received the payment......fully , meaning u got the cash on ur hand ...then send out^^

Officials get 'dead serious' about Net auction fraud
USA TODAY

State and federal officials sued dozens of alleged Internet scam artists Wednesday, saying they fleeced buyers on eBay and other auction sites.

The Federal Trade Commission and 29 attorneys general announced 57 criminal and civil actions against companies and individuals they say bilked people out of money and merchandise.

Auction fraud was the most reported Internet-related offense last year, with 51,000 complaints, the FTC says. And it's growing along with auction activity, says the FBI's Internet Fraud Complaint Center.

''We want consumers to know that we're dead serious about auction fraud,'' says FTC attorney Steve Wernikoff. ''And as their schemes become more sophisticated, we have to intensify our efforts.''

EBay, the largest auction site where much of the fraud occurs, has developed technology the past several months to detect fraud before it affects its 69 million registered users. It also has turned over evidence to state and federal officials, eBay spokesman Kevin Pursglove says.

EBay, which had $5.3 billion in merchandise sales in the first quarter, says 0.01% of its listed items result in confirmed fraud. That's about 42,200 cases.

There were 422 million items listed on eBay last year, and the number of unconfirmed cases could be higher

Wahh good good, if they are really so serious maybe they might wanna look into my case if i ask my older sis to lodge a report in the US.

Originally posted by digi~ET
just another thing to note......even this seller / buyer got some good rating.....check the rating!

cos those con men actually rated themselve!!!!

careful.....if u are seller......received the payment......fully , meaning u got the cash on ur hand ...then send out^^

It's hard to determine as those con men register several ids or nicks and they use the other nicks to rate the current nick as very good and add a wonderful story about how prompt and realiable this seller is.

It has been discovered that some of amazon.com 's book reviews that some of the good reviews for the books are actually given by the author of the book himself!!!!???

The author of the book, wrote a review for his own book under a different registered nick of course and say it is a great book.

I usually don't trust reviews if it is given only by a small pool of reviewers, like below 10 or 20. Unless it was reviewed by 70 or 100 and the average is still rated good.

Another trick in the book is that, sometimes the seller will post the goods at $100 (for example) then he will immediately use another nick to pose as a buyer and up the bid to $110 or higher.

It makes it look as if several people are interested in the item and when a real buyer comes along, he will say that he has "lots of offers" from other buyers and persuade him to match their bids and then sell it higher.

Haiz, all the classic business tricks, except this time its made even easier due to the wonderful thing about anonymity present in the net. Nobody noes who is who and wat is real anymore. Anything can be fabricated.

How do you do a credit card chargeback? Call the bank and request for the transaction to be reverted? Any fees?

Because there was once when I did online shopping and there was an additional transaction when I checked my statement online but I didn't know what I can do on my side even though I noticed it immediately.

Silverelf:

Just notify the credit card company (if your card is a DBS call the DBS bank and they will contact you).

I took a cab once in Melbourne to the airport and the driver took a swap with my CC on one of those older copy machines (I don't know how you call these things), it makes a carbon copy of your CC. Anyway, a month later the same guy charged my CC again and the next month again. I called my CC company (Stand Chart) and I sent them a copy of my passport that I was not in melbourne at the two periods the CC was charged. Then I got my money back quite soon after this and they were investigating the guy. I think he may loose his license to accept CC.

Since you have done only one transaction with the seller you can do a chargeback by calling the CC company. I have not done it myself before, so maybe someone else can add to this?

Hong Sien

BTW: alloy

what does 'haiz' mean? I have seen it in many of your postings :) just curious....

Hong Sien

Originally posted by hongsien
BTW: alloy

what does 'haiz' mean? I have seen it in many of your postings :) just curious....

Hong Sien

'haiz' is a local slang for 'sigh'.... :)

Ah! Ok, foolish me! I have been here 9 years and still don't get all these slang words.....:)

Hong Sien

wah, hongsien not local ah. U from where one?

By the way, i think the money should be gone case liao lah.

Originally posted by alloy
wah, hongsien not local ah. U from where one?

Plant Molecular Biologist :eek:, born in Malang, Indonesia, grew up the Netherlands, since 1994 working in Singapore

what puzzle me is his location....Ghim Moh Rd. Blk 14? where is it?

taken from his profile ;p

Originally posted by Wai
Plant Molecular Biologist :eek:, born in Malang, Indonesia, grew up the Netherlands, since 1994 working in Singapore

what puzzle me is his location....Ghim Moh Rd. Blk 14? where is it?

taken from his profile ;p

:kok:
Gim Moh is the estate next to Holland Village

Status
Not open for further replies.