Cheap White backgrounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necroist

Jan 27, 2002
www.ragingbox.com
Hello :)

Anybody got any idea where to get cheap white backgrounds for product\still life shots? It need not be very big, more for a "on-a-budget-but-want-to-do-shots" student thingy.

Originally posted by Necroist

EH ya hor! Where to get and for what price?

Gonna need something to stand the paper too.

Popular got ...............

can try to stick one of itz edgez onto the wall ...............

but remember let it "gently curve" down onto the ground ...........

:D

Originally posted by Necroist

EH ya hor! Where to get and for what price?

Gonna need something to stand the paper too.

Not very sure where to get.. I don't play mahjong.. but I think that would be the cheapest solution. :)

You can get at Popular Bookshop at $2.06. One pack consists of Size: 34" x 34", 5 Sheets.

I use opaque white acrylic sheets, the thin ones. They stock it at Art Friend in many different sizes and thickness. I got the A3 one that is about 1mm thick, and it cost around $3. A3 is big enough for most small product or macro shots.

I prefer this to the paper, or card I used to use previously, because you can use it over and over again. For card or paper, once you stain it, very hard to use. But for acrylic sheets, you can wipe off.

There are a few problems that you have to be aware of. Firstly, the acrylic tends to spring back when you bend it, so it's quite hard to maintain a nice curve if you're using A3 size, but for bigger sheets of the same thickness, I think it shouldn't be a problem. Secondly, the acrylic scratches quite easily, but I find that those fine scratches usually don't turn up in the photograph. Thirdly, when you just get the acrylic sheet and peel off the protective paper backing, it tends to attract a lot of dust because of static.

Oh yea, don't know if you will find this good or bad, but acrylic sheets are reflective. For me, I like the effect, because I get a nice reflection of the product.

Also, they come in a lot of colors. I bought a black one to use, and it's fantastic. Photo below was taken on the black acrylic, but the curve was not gentle enough, so the reflection curves a lot.

http://photography.byvoid.com/details.php?image_id=145

Hope this helps,

Justin

Forgot to add, with the acrylic sheets, you don't get the grain or texture of the paper. I think you can solve the dust problem easily by wiping the sheet with the anti-static cleaner.

Also, don't forget, you can use both sides, so if you take care of the sheet, I think it will last you a really long time. LOL.

Don't be like me and be stingy. Get a larger sheet, like A2 size, but get the thin ones, like 1mm thickness. Anything thicker is too hard to flex. BTW, Art Friend is at Bras Basah complex, I think third or fourth floor. Hehe. :D

I think the infinity tables we use at school also use huge acrylic sheets...

I used to use white ivory card, or vanguard sheets, also very successful, but for some of the stuff I take, it tends to stain the card. I guess the same would apply for paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.