Cheap film camera for beginner

moon16

Aug 16, 2018
Hi everyone. New to the website. I'm interested in photogeaphy right now but I'm on a strict budget because im only a student. Hence I decided to buy a film camera (which is a lower upfront cost) Vs a digital camera(which can be heart attack inducing).

Can anyone suggest a recommendation for a film SLR (fully manual. For learning purposes and to find out if I do like photography) under 100 bucks. Of course it would be used. Been considering the Pentax k1000 and the Olympus om 1 but can't seem to find them locally for under a hundred. Thanks in advance for the help everyone.

Eh which era you're from? Digital camera expensive? How bout your mobile phone camera? Who use film these days PLUS how can you practice with FILM? By shooting 25rolls each time without being able to review it? Printing cost alone will be more than digital.
Think you've your definition of a 'camera' all messed up.

Overall, cost of ownership for film is higher than digital - film cost, developing and printing etc. You want to learn? Buy a 5 years or older digital camera, e.g. panasonic, olympus (both micro 4/3), or sony apsc. They can cost as little as $100. Get an old manual focus lens for $50-$100, e.g. 50mm f2, and an adapter for $50. Try the second hand shops at Peninsula Shopping Centre and Adelphi. Make sure all of them are working properly, has magnification function to aid manual focus. Set all to manual, and shoot and edit as much as possible. Print some of them in 4R, 6R to see real results. Doing so will give you the best of both worlds, at the lowest possible cost, while you learn.

Either way (film or digital), the budget of $100 for the camera alone is not the full story. On film, you need to factor in the costs for film, processing, printing (or scanning to CD-ROM), On digital, you will need a computer and memory card reader to see the results. So it's never only the camera.
Since you are a beginner, I would strongly recommend a 2nd hand digital camera, kit lens will do. Just shoot and learn.

Ok I get that everyone is angry at me for this post. What I meant by digital cameras being expensive is that buying it has a higher upfront cost while film cameras cost a lot less upfront. Also I said I'm a student so I have a weekly allowance which I can buy a few rolls of film with. This equates to me being able to afford it better. Also can suggest a cheap DSLR camera under 100 for me?

Nobody is angry at you. Don't fall for the common trap of reading moods and emotions into postings. Just take the facts.
I would suggest you save from your weekly allowance to be able to afford the digital camera, instead of spending it on films and processing / printing.
Coming from Canon camp I can't say much about Pentax or Olympus, but I would simply search for their model line up and release dates. Then check the entry level models, released about 5-8 years ago. Check the Classifieds section here or other online sources, check the local 2nd hand shops (Adelphi, Peninsula Plaza and others), have a hands-on feeling what works for you.
You want to learn about photography, so focus on taking pictures. Don't spend too much time on equipment. All cameras work in the same way: capturing light. It's up to you what this light is (= image).

Nobody is angry at you. Don't fall for the common trap of reading moods and emotions into postings. Just take the facts.
I would suggest you save from your weekly allowance to be able to afford the digital camera, instead of spending it on films and processing / printing.
Coming from Canon camp I can't say much about Pentax or Olympus, but I would simply search for their model line up and release dates. Then check the entry level models, released about 5-8 years ago. Check the Classifieds section here or other online sources, check the local 2nd hand shops (Adelphi, Peninsula Plaza and others), have a hands-on feeling what works for you.
You want to learn about photography, so focus on taking pictures. Don't spend too much time on equipment. All cameras work in the same way: capturing light. It's up to you what this light is (= image).
Thanks for the encouragement. Will do

Welcome to Clubsnap! People who reply are generally well intentioned and care enough to click and type out their response, though language used might appear otherwise. So don't take it personally :)

Agree with others that digital photography is really cheaper. Film cameras have not been in mass production for years so supply is low. Those which are still around will be valued more thus hard to find under $100 in Singapore. Factor in cost of buying lens, cost of film, and also finding a store to develop the film which is also getting rarer nowadays, it all adds up.

Budget of $100 is actually quite low to get a camera body and lens, though not impossible. If you can raise it a bit probably can get an entry level, few years old, Olympus body like E-PL5 which still has some manual controls, plus a kit lens for around $200 or a bit less. The camera is still relatively modern so not far off from new micro four third cameras. It is also small and so easier to bring around. I'm not familiar with Pentax cameras, should be similar in price but probably a bit bigger as they are conventional DSLR cameras (so still have a optical viewfinder if that is your requirement).

You can also consider looking out for photography clubs in your school or neighbourhood to loan cameras and join activities to learn.

Welcome to the world of photography :)

Ok I get that everyone is angry at me for this post. What I meant by digital cameras being expensive is that buying it has a higher upfront cost while film cameras cost a lot less upfront. Also I said I'm a student so I have a weekly allowance which I can buy a few rolls of film with. This equates to me being able to afford it better. Also can suggest a cheap DSLR camera under 100 for me?

It's not true that digital's upfront costs is much more than film. Old digital body and lens can be had from about $200 onwards.

For film camera+lens at $100, you will most likely need to buy online. Some of the popular cameras then are Canon AE1, Pentax K1000, Nikkormat FTn, Nikon EM, Olympus OM1, Minolta SRT101 and others. All very well built. Just make sure all their meters are in working condition.

I can attest to film being more expensive than digital. I'm a student too, and 4 rolls in I'm already feeling the pinch. A roll of film is usually 7 dollars locally, and development will cost you another 9.50 (I think that's the cheapest in Singapore). If you are willing to buy film from up north and send it back for development, that still works out to about 4 dollars a roll and another 5 dollars for development (shipping inclusive, assuming you buy and send about 10 rolls at one go). That works out to 16.50 locally and 9 if you do your shopping in Malaysia. Multiply that by 12 months assuming one roll a month and it works out to almost 200 for Singapore and a little over 110 in Malaysia.

While it is true you can get film cameras for next to nothing compared to modern digital cameras (or even free if you have uncles, aunties that are clearing their storerooms), some digital cameras have fallen quite drastically in value in these few years. If you look at the Canon camp, a 400D and a kit lens usually runs about $120-150. If you have a little more money to spend, I'd suggest a 40D which gives you live view (very important for those low and high angle shots) for about $180. If you don't mind going mirrorless, they can be had for even less. Just last week a friend of mine picked up a lumix GF-6 and a kit lens off carousell for a mere $45!

Reactions: ziggy
Agree with the advice given. If budget is a concern, film may not be the way to go. Each roll, including processing (if you don’t develop it yourself. The developing kit and chemicals cost into the $100+. And that’s assuming that you know how to process your own film) can easily set you back about $12-15 dollars. So to shoot like three rolls a week, that cost low about $50 or $200 a month. In six months, you would have spent $1.2k which can get you a good digital camera.

Like what has been advised, look at some of the mirco four-thirds which can cost under $200 plus lens. They may not be the latest models but make good learning cameras. Remember, they may be “old” in terms of technology but they’re as good as when they were released aka they’re still good cameras.

If you like the idea of film, never too late to embrace it after you’ve honed your technique. Film is a slippery slope haha this is coming from someone who shoots almost exclusively on film

hi and welcome.

I've to agree with the sentiments here about cost but I am going to skip that and focus on solely answering your question to help.

For film I guess u may want to start with an entry level AF version, the Olympus MJU I or Canon AF10 etc. There are many many such models to choose from in the $80 to $200 range and its good to just go ahead and start somewhere.

If you insist on a fully manual film SLR, the I have definitely seen the OM10 or OM20 for example going in the range of $100-$200. Include a lens and prob u are in the region of $2xx to $3xx. Carousell, BnS and of course the shops at Peninsula plaza are a good place to start. Do check and check proper coming to light seals, contacts and of course, the condition as these are decades old cameras and I have sadly met unscrupulous pple taking newbies for a run.

If beyond this you are looking for something better, of course then welcome to the world of the Leica M film cameras, Contax T or even the Yashica T4 or T5 where the cameras go from $400 to $4-figures. Main diff is robustness and of course, obviously your images are going to be as good as the optics allow and you are generally paying the extra for this.

Have fun, you will learn a lot if u ask and try :)

To help a bit, here's some samples from the Yashica T4 and the Leica M6 and I am sure I haven't even begun to scratch the limits of what the M6 can do.

Those who shoot with film cameras are not doing so because of budget. I guess the you would already know from the many posts here that if you are on a tight budget, digital cameras is the solution. Those who shoot with films do so for various reasons.

Speaking from personal experience, I learned more about photography techniques after switching to digital as I get immediate feedback of the images I took (composition, exposure, depth of field) and the cost is minimal because I just delete and shoot again on the same memory card. I also learned from post processing how different aspect affects the image by adjusting cropping, exposure, etc. Shooting on film has a very much steeper learning curve, if at all possible.

Welcome to the world of photography. It is a great hobby. It is really not an expensive hobby if you don't get tempted by the latest gadgets (and you don't need the latest gadgets).

I don't think you can get away with $100, perhaps try to make friends with one of the CSers, then save the $100 for 10 cups of starbucks to try to borrow their equipment.

I think the bare minimum can be a Canon EOS 70D, (shoot on i-mode, 1080p 30fps), get a second hand, maybe about 600, then get a 50mm 1.8 for 60. Then get an old MAC or use your school apple which has imovie inside FREE.

I think that probably is the bare minimum i can think of other than your phone.

Sorry, actually thats not the "bare minimum", but i have seen full documentaries produced like this. Also "one-leg-kick" video journalists that have gone out to cover assignments have gone out on this set. and of course many more bare essentials like a 8 dollar lavellier mike and 10 dollar light and 30 dollar tripod.

I think you should consider getting a digital camera vs a film camera. As explained, the total cost of ownership for a film setup is pretty costly, yes; you can afford to buy a few rolls of film per week, but if you are using a few rolls of film per week, don't forget about your washing cost and developing costs. Those cost more than the film. (I tried it out myselt, and i can tell you based on personal exp)

But film is still for you, go ebay.

Like the others have advised, go for a cheap low end model in carousell or the classifieds here, I believe 70D is a good start point, but if cost is still high, go for lower models like 60D, 550D, 600D...these should suffice your needs. As for lens, just get the 18-135 kit lens, and a 50mm lens too boot. Saving for a few months should allow you to get those items.

Lastly, join a photography group for beginners, get a mentor there, and you should be good to go. :) Cheers.