Cheap Canon Lens but Official Warranty Expired

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKpicture

Jul 5, 2006
Singapore
AThere is a shop in Sim Lim Square selling Canon lens imported from Hong Kong.

The warranty from Canon is expired, but the shop gives 1 yr in house warranty. The owner stated that 99% of Canon lens is good within the warranty period and for the 1% lense, most of the problem is caused by user, and this is not covered by Canon. (is it true?)

E.g.

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - S$1,200 (average market price)

EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - 1 yr in house warranty - about S$950

The price is attractiveAny advice? Are you dare to take the risk?

The warranty from Canon is expired, but the shop gives 1 yr in house warranty. The owner stated that 99% of Canon lens is good within the warranty period and for the 1% lense, most of the problem is caused by user, and this is not covered by Canon. (is it true?)

E.g.

1. We've never even heard of this company. It isn't among the "reputable" dealers here.

2. So what if they give an in-house warranty? If your USM decides to die on you, are they going to fix it?

3. You say the warranty is expired. Does that mean that these are used copies?

by any chance are you talking about orient photo?

1. We've never even heard of this company. It isn't among the "reputable" dealers here. Oriental Photo

2. So what if they give an in-house warranty? If your USM decides to die on you, are they going to fix it? Good point

3. You say the warranty is expired. Does that mean that these are used copies? They are new, but could be old stock - unsold after one year from manufacture date

Thanks!

E.g.

i think you mean 70-300mm... the 75-300 IS has been discontinued for a while....

if it is the 70-300mm then :thumbsup: price

if it is the 75-300mm :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

950 is what someone is trying to sell the 70-300 (warranty expired) for in buy n sell... this 1 comes with 1 year warranty + friendly service.... good deal....

Is the lens a parallel imported set at a much cheaper price?

i think you mean 70-300mm... the 75-300 IS has been discontinued for a while....

if it is the 70-300mm then :thumbsup: price

if it is the 75-300mm :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

950 is what someone is trying to sell the 70-300 (warranty expired) for in buy n sell... this 1 comes with 1 year warranty + friendly service.... good deal....

Sorry, you are right, it should be 70-300mm

What do they mean by Canon warranty EXPIRED?

This sounds like the lens is over 1 year old, or did you mean that the warranty is invalid in Singapore?

Earlier batches of the lens had some problem but the later batches should work fine.

What do they mean by Canon warranty EXPIRED?

This sounds like the lens is over 1 year old, or did you mean that the warranty is invalid in Singapore?

Earlier batches of the lens had some problem but the later batches should work fine.

yes, the warranty given by Canon is expired... and i think the lens is over 1 year old, but is in New(unused) condition.

Would you give a try coz it is about 25% cheaper

yes, the warranty given by Canon is expired... and i think the lens is over 1 year old, but is in New(unused) condition.

the warranty by canon cannot be expired if the lens is new. canon's warrranty starts one year from the purchase date of the lens. thus, if like you said it is new, then the warranty cannot be expired.

however, if it is a gray set, and i believe it is, then the local canon does not recognize the warranty as it has not passed through the local distributor. thus, there is no warranty in singapore.

and to your question, there's NO POINT asking everyone. you have to make up your own mind. you weigh the pros and cons yourself and see if you're willing to take the risk. just because i am willing doesn't mean that you will be. so stop asking others already!

Warranty period starts from date of purchase, not date of manufacture...

Status
Not open for further replies.