Cheap 500mm lens??

So it was wrong for cnet to compare to a canon lens? Time to wiki the difference in a mirror lens and a 'normal' lens

Last edited:
Ghost Kelevra said:
So it was wrong for cnet to compare to a canon lens? Time to wiki the difference in a mirror lens and a 'normal' lens

CNET is not a reliable source for lens review

It's like buying a burger without the meat :think:

1) Donut bokeh - can be very distracting

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2336/2383620354_6d102ff775.jpg

2) Very low contrast - not so much of a problem as this can be remedied somewhat with good post processing (but still needs more work)

3) Cannot control aperture

4) Mediocre sharpness

Of course they're light and cheap, but you do pay for what you get.

I believe not ALL mirror lenses are that bad, as our expert CSer (in bird photography) OLDTIMER will show you that mirror lens, other than the donut bokeh, IQ can be decent if not good. I think the old Sigma or Nikkor mirror lenses should be decent. But comparing against the usual lens of course it is like comparing ikan billis to top grade sashimi. If not why people would spend 10k + buying 500mm prime lens?

I believe the best mirror lenses are the Vivitar Series one 'Solid Cat' lenses which were manufactured all in one piece with v tight tolerances. you still get the funny bokeh tho

I believe not ALL mirror lenses are that bad, as our expert CSer (in bird photography) OLDTIMER will show you that mirror lens, other than the donut bokeh, IQ can be decent if not good. I think the old Sigma or Nikkor mirror lenses should be decent. But comparing against the usual lens of course it is like comparing ikan billis to top grade sashimi. If not why people would spend 10k + buying 500mm prime lens?

Guess it depends on what your priorities are. If weight (and cost) is most important then the mirror lens is not a bad choice.

But there are too many limitations... you'll soon wish for a "normal" lens. The Tamron 200-400mm is a not bad alternative. It often pays to mount long teles on a tripod, and the AF will be useful...

Also, unless it's the Sony/Minolta 500mm, it's manual focus.

Isan't a donut without the hole a good thing? You get more dough for the buck :)

Kinda what I was thinking too.... Becomes a danish or a bavarian cream-filled doughnut..... yummm