Changing the D70 picture format size

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackz

Apr 4, 2004
Eastern Singapore
Hi,

I just got a nikon d70 and it takes shots at 2240 x 1488 for its "medium" size. i open the pic in MS photo editor and when i reduce that to a 1024 on the length, i see that the width doesn't change to the "ideal" 768.

for example: d70 takes the shot at 2240x1488. if i constraint (lock the ratio) the warping and i change width to 1024, the height changes to 680 (which is not the optimum size of 768). if i change the height to 768 the width changes to 1156.

by manually cropping the picture, how does one make sure that the size of the picture are those optimal sizes for printing or for display on our 1024x768 screen? I haven't used photoshop before so if there's such a function, please forgive my ignorance... would be learning to use it soon.

Hope i got my message across properly...

Is there a way to do this without the picture being warped/"twisted"?

thanks!!!

crackz said:
Hi,

I just got a nikon d70 and it takes shots at 2240 x 1488 for its "medium" size. i open the pic in MS photo editor and when i reduce that to a 1024 on the length, i see that the width doesn't change to the "ideal" 768.

for example: d70 takes the shot at 2240x1488. if i constraint (lock the ratio) the warping and i change width to 1024, the height changes to 680 (which is not the optimum size of 768). if i change the height to 768 the width changes to 1156.

by manually cropping the picture, how does one make sure that the size of the picture are those optimal sizes for printing or for display on our 1024x768 screen? I haven't used photoshop before so if there's such a function, please forgive my ignorance... would be learning to use it soon.

Hope i got my message across properly...

Is there a way to do this without the picture being warped/"twisted"?

thanks!!!

The reason behind you not getting 768 for the height when you change the width to 1024 is that the aspect ratios are different. 2240x1488 is a ratio of 3:2. 1024x768 is a ratio of 4:3. You will always get some cropping with different aspect ratios.

Oh I see! Thanks for that insight!

do you know if apple 15" powerbooks aspect ratio is 3:2 or 4:3? I'm getting one soon!

thanks.

erm, most CRT and LCD is 4:3

zodnm said:

Unless they are of the widescreen variety... If they are the widescreen variety, then the ratio is usually 3:2... :)

otnaicus said:
Unless they are of the widescreen variety... If they are the widescreen variety, then the ratio is usually 3:2... :)

ok, so i assume that the apple powerbook 15" is a 3:2 then?

From the specs of the Powerbook, look at the [native] screen resolution and see if it reduces to a 3:2 or 4:3 (or some other weird) ratio. That will answer the question. :)

For example, 1024:768 will reduce to 4:3. That means it's a 4:3 screen.

crackz said:
ok, so i assume that the apple powerbook 15" is a 3:2 then?

zodnm said:

meaning to say unless it's specified as studio display, it's a 4:3 ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.