Changi Jetty

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegank

Jan 6, 2009
Singapore
Hi All,

I just purchase my first DSLR and have been reading the manuals and trying it out, I'm new to digital photography and have been lurking on this forum to learn and pick up skills from the gurus here. Here is my first photo to this forum, this was taken at changi jetty, please give comments and feedback as I intent to learn as much as I can with my new hobby.

dsc00962q.jpg

Composition wise in this image is good, but here's a couple of pointers for improvement:

• 1. Observe and take note of the lighting in that environment and try to take the correct light reading via TTL metering. If the lighting is too strong, you might wanna under-expose by half or 1-stop, which depends on what camera settings u use. Not to mention the White Balance setting u set.
  • 2. Take note of the horizon out in the distance of the sea. Make sure it's horizontally straight. U might consider getting a sturdy tripod with bubble level to keep yr camera and yr images more perpendicularly upright. By using a tripod, you can use a cable release so as to prevent camera shake when the mirror flips up as you release the shutter button.

Hope these pointers help. Shoot more and have fun! Cheers! :)

did u PP the color saturation??? colors look abit "fake"

I think the pic is abit overexposed... my eyes hurt when i stare long at it...
i think if possible u can try to go nearer to the blue boat, like not enuff emphasis.. going nearer, can throw the background boats further away so that they will look smaller and the foreground boat bigger...

just my 2 cents :)

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips and comments, yes the photo was pp'ed, sharpened, reduce noise and trying to reduce the over exposure, I'm still learning. Must remember to look at my exposure, horizon, need to purchase a good tripod, etc. Didn't expect to have quick comments and feedback, love this forum. Thanks!

Hi thegank,

I also have bought a DSLR recently and happily go to Changi Village for some shooting. Can see it is a good pic from u. Good Job...;)

Hi All,

Another photo, no post processing done, except to reduce noise in pp. Please comment and give your frank feedback.

dsc0102.jpg

Another photo from a different angle.

dsc0086org.jpg

Please feedback and comment, hope to learn as much as I can from the gurus here.

Please feedback and comment, hope to learn as much as I can from the gurus here.

What is your own opinion? What do you wanted to show? Have you achieved it? What went wrong? What turned out nice? Why "no post-processing"? Process to the result that you want to achieve. Post-processing is part of photography since the days of silver iodide plates. Be your first and harshest critic. Post pictures where you have the feeling "Yeah, that's it!" - or where you can't really say what went wrong and you need pointers.

Dear Octarine,

That is one of the best advice I've got! Thanks! Currently practicing my composition and lighting. Will do as advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.