CCD Self clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Anyone do this often or on a regular basis?

Found this site which has pretty useful information on how to clean the CCD:

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

Already got the PecPad and a suitable "spatula" for making the actual sensor swibe, however have not bought the Eclipse solution yet (also available from CP). Since Eclipse is mainly methanol, I was wondering if using pure methanol (which I can get readily from my workplace) would work as well? Any thoughts on this guys?

GYR

I clean mine approximately once every three weeks but will always try a few blasts of air with the Giottos bulb blower first. If it's stuck fast, than it's Pacpads and Eclipse.

Eclipse is suppose to be pure methanol so I suppose that if you're sure that the ones you get in the office are pure than it should be ok.

I really appreciate it...thanks for the info

Already done my CCD, very easy with the right tools :)

Gymrat76 said:
Already done my CCD, very easy with the right tools :)

May I know which spatula you using? I need to DIY too, but can't seem to find a right one to use... :think:

hansia said:
May I know which spatula you using? I need to DIY too, but can't seem to find a right one to use... :think:

Actually the 'spatula' I'm using can't be bought commercially. Its a cell scraper, used to dislodge cell cultures that I use in my lab.

29575280.jpg

29575281.jpg

I was thinking about it, and an ice cream stick when cut carefully on one end and filed to make sure there are no sharp splinters sticking out might just do the trick.. or you can go buy the SensorSwab from CP (but damned expensive, think $80 for a box of 12, but can reuse). Maybe can get 12 people to share, since if you're using the PecPad method you'd only need 1, so can reuse the stick?

Dudes, it only costs $45 to get it done at the service centre, and best, you can make them clean until you're satisfied. (NPS members get 15% off right?)

Best of all you don't have to worry about damaging the AA filter and/or CCD.

espn said:
Dudes, it only costs $45 to get it done at the service centre, and best, you can make them clean until you're satisfied. (NPS members get 15% off right?)

Best of all you don't have to worry about damaging the AA filter and/or CCD.

You rich mah.. apart from the cost of getting Nikon to do it (and it'll just get dirty again in a few weeks/months), its also not convenient to go down to Nikon all the time. There is no risk, unless you're a really clumsy oaf with shaky hands and use a chisel as a spatula (in that case, you'd be better off paying the $45 everytime you wanna clean the CCD).. :bsmilie:

just follow the instructions I poster earlier, its a breeze to clean the CCD :)

$45 is a rip-off if you ask me. Suppose I need to clean the CCD every month, that's $45 x 12 = $540! :sweat:

Gymrat76 said:
just follow the instructions I poster earlier, its a breeze to clean the CCD :)

Nice. I also did a DIY CCD cleaning article some time back. Check it out on ClubSNAP front page.

sfhuang said:
Nice. I also did a DIY CCD cleaning article some time back. Check it out on ClubSNAP front page.

Thanks, but it wasn't written by me :bsmilie:

Thanks for pointing the CS one out, will check it out later

Have looked at it.. nice idea with the cake knife :)

Anyway, some things you may want to consider:

1. Sometimes for stubborn dust stains, you'll need to use a 'wet' method. The best solution would be pure methanol, which you can buy from CP or some other photo shops that carry it. The most widely used one is Eclipse, and its $18 for a bottle (which should last you a long, long time). The methanol will pick up any dust on the CCD surface, as well as evaporate very quickly to prevent streaks and such

2. The site I pointed out earlier mentioned this, and I agree: You should NOT cut the PecPads as it would then generate fibers, thus negating the 'lint-free' property of the pads. I use the whole piece (as recommended) and was able to clean 99% of the dust specks with one wipe (with methanol).

Hope this helps

Cheers
GYR

Any idea where to get PecPad in Singapore? Can I use other material, like those clean room wiper/tissue used in the wafer fab (which supposed to be a very clean environment)?

Antohalim said:
Any idea where to get PecPad in Singapore? Can I use other material, like those clean room wiper/tissue used in the wafer fab (which supposed to be a very clean environment)?

You can get PecPads at CP for $15 (pack of 100). Whatever you use has to be 100% lint-free, as well as free of contaminants so that you don't leave more residues on the CCD. I think anything used for wafer fabs should exceed the requirements for cleaning a CCD :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.