Cavenagh Bridge Panorama

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteloud

Oct 1, 2006
Hi Guys,

After my "Another Boat Quay Panorama" thread was closed without any explanation, and as I've not had a reply to my email I'll give you another Singapore panorama.

http://www.peteloud.co.uk/photos/SEAsia_07-08/Cavenagh_Bridge.html

This was a test shot with an 8mm lens that I'd bought a few hours earlier from Orient Photo. I should have taken the pano a little earlier in the evening when there was still a bit light in the sky, but it was raining then :-(

Cheers,

Pete

This is beautiful !

I realised you also took the sky and floor as well, really nice.

Hi,

Apart from my earlier problem with my "Thread Closed" there seems to a problem with the number of "Views".

In the past hour my Cavenagh Bridge Panorama has had 17 separate views from Singapore. The actual number of hits is higher but some viewers must have viewed more than once. I have my hits recorded by a webstats system. In Clubsnap it shows on 2 "Views".

This pano webpage can only be accessed from this posting, or by people who take the URL from this posting. The only people who know this URL are people who got it from here.

Why is there a difference between the Clubsnap "Views" counter and my webstats?

Cheers,

Pete

Magic ! Since sending this posting my "views" jumped up to 25.

not sure why but i cant see the photos.:dunno:

btw, thanks for sharing the diy version of pano bracket.

Hi denniskee,

The panorama is QT movie file and needs a QT viewer. Do you have QuickTime or an equivalent .mov viewer?

I prefer DevalVR, a free viewer which is great for panos. It is smoother and faster but it is not fully Quicktime compatible, it can not handle sound.

Cheers,

Pete

Nice 360!

What lens was it that you got ?

I was using a Sigma 8mm on a Canon 350D. I had just bought the lens and was fumbling around a bit. I didn't have it set up correctly on my home-made panohead bracket, www.nodalsamurai.co.uk so I should be able to do better next time.

This sort of situation, night time, dark with high contrast levels of illumination and moving subjects is not the best way to test a new lens :-(

I was using a Sigma 8mm on a Canon 350D. I had just bought the lens and was fumbling around a bit. I didn't have it set up correctly on my home-made panohead bracket, www.nodalsamurai.co.uk so I should be able to do better next time.

This sort of situation, night time, dark with high contrast levels of illumination and moving subjects is not the best way to test a new lens :-(

hi pete! how many shots for this pano? 3 shots will do for a full 360? with the 8mm, moving subject will not be much of a problem right? since you only need so few shots?

Hi denniskee,

The panorama is QT movie file and needs a QT viewer. Do you have QuickTime or an equivalent .mov viewer?

I prefer DevalVR, a free viewer which is great for panos. It is smoother and faster but it is not fully Quicktime compatible, it can not handle sound.

Cheers,

Pete

You tried SPI-V? DevalVR isn't Mac friendly and i only found out recently.

Dunnno if it's appropriate (will edit and remove the link if not), my Cavenagh Bridge attempt last year April http://moonshine.homedns.org:2655/p...BridgeGreateastern/bridge/CavenaghBridge.html

On the webstat stuffs, i use Google Analytics to track. The results is very comprehensive and can be too overwhelming at first but breaking the stats down and concentrate on just what you need will be easier. I filter down to mostly Asia as i am only interested in Asia visitors mostly, how many articles are actually read and time spent on the articles. Try it http://www.google.com/analytics/indexu.html

Hi Wee,

I like your pano from the bridge.

We both made the same mistake. We have a black sky. We should have taken the shot about 25 minutes after sunset.

I took 7 pics for the pano but only used 5 of them. I realise I could do it with fewer shots but as I said it was a test pano. It was my first pano with the lens so I wanted a bit room for manoeuvre.

I apologise for getting worked up and complaining about my other thread being locked. I thought that it was something done by ClubSnap. It wasn't. It was probably a side-effect of my computer hanging while installing a game at the same time as I was working with Clubsnap.

SPi-V - I've not come across this, until 2 minutes ago. I like Deval because it gives a smooth fast rotation of the pano, much better than QuickTime. I also like it because it's free :) Unfortunately DevalVR is not fully QT compatible, it can not handle sound. SPi-V would be a major addition to my system.

Hi Haydenhuang
The lens, Sigma 8mm for Canon cost S$1,000 from Orient Photo, 6th floor Sim Lim.

Hi Wee,

I like your pano from the bridge.

We both made the same mistake. We have a black sky. We should have taken the shot about 25 minutes after sunset.

I took 7 pics for the pano but only used 5 of them. I realise I could do it with fewer shots but as I said it was a test pano. It was my first pano with the lens so I wanted a bit room for manoeuvre.

I apologise for getting worked up and complaining about my other thread being locked. I thought that it was something done by ClubSnap. It wasn't. It was probably a side-effect of my computer hanging while installing a game at the same time as I was working with Clubsnap.

SPi-V - I've not come across this, until 2 minutes ago. I like Deval because it gives a smooth fast rotation of the pano, much better than QuickTime. I also like it because it's free :) Unfortunately DevalVR is not fully QT compatible, it can not handle sound. SPi-V would be a major addition to my system.

Hi Haydenhuang
The lens, Sigma 8mm for Canon cost S$1,000 from Orient Photo, 6th floor Sim Lim.

yeah, in singapore, the blue evening skies generally happen from 7pm to 7.15pm. Yes, i know, quite a small windows but well...

SPI-V or spiffy as some call it works well but the output is kinda different where you create a awkard tiled image for it to do the wrapping to form a 360 pano. I love DevalVR too for the smooth rotation as it makes use of some function and call the graphic card to do some processing thus the smoothness and unlike pure quicktime panos, where when you stop rotating, the pano like halt to a stop aruptly.

Status
Not open for further replies.