Carrying tripods when you fly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just put it in check in luggage... why worrying too much? just make sure don't put the head or else some will take interest on it (happened to my friend)... for peace of mind, put tag on it separately..:)

normally most airlines will allow your tripod to be hand carried since it is within the specs of the cabin baggage.....but if you have a big luggage bag and spacious enough then check it in! :)

their luggage bag small?

Yeah I do have that problem, the tripod is bigger than the bag (by just a bit). But no offence taken. I don't intend to hand-carry it on as cabin baggage, but I was wondering if anybody here recommends putting it in a tripod case of its own (the small bag just meant for the tripod) and checking it in by itself.

Say, something like this (not the exact model but just an example):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247949-REG/Sunpak_620765_620_765_Tripod_Case.html

Last edited:
Yeah I do have that problem, the tripod is bigger than the bag (by just a bit). But no offence taken. I don't intend to hand-carry it on as cabin baggage, but I was wondering if anybody here recommends putting it in a tripod case of its own (the small bag just meant for the tripod) and checking it in by itself.

Say, something like this (not the exact model but just an example):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247949-REG/Sunpak_620765_620_765_Tripod_Case.html

If you are planning to check in the tripod just by itself, then I would recommend you to get those padded tripod bag. It will offer a somewhat better protection for your equipment.
And dont forget to ask for "fragile" when checking in.

But still, the best way would be to put it inside your checked in baggage.

Thanks. I think it's time to buy bigger luggage :p

Somehow though, buy luggage not as fun as buy tripod, haha :D

Hi guys,

Would i be able to "smuggle" a 190xprob + 496rc2 ballhead into the cabin? Anyone here with experience?

Im only going on a quick getaway to our neighbouring country, flying by silkair. So my lugguage would just be a small one

2nd that, thats why i did ;)

Cool, thanks to all for the suggestions. I might check out how expensive luggage is, and then consider checking the tripod in with one of these small bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.