CARL ZEISS 85MM F/1.4 ZF.2 PLANAR T* or NIKKOR AF-S 85MM F/1.4G N

luckysmurfin

Feb 22, 2012
Hi All Nikoner's

I have a few question regarding Carl Zeiss lens and Nikkor lens:
These lens will be used on Nikon D700

1. If you must choose one of them, which one you will choose?
2. If you compare with the image quality, which one is your choice?
3. If you choose Zeiss, please describe why?
4. If you choose Nikkor, please describe why?
5. If you have a sample picture without post processing, please feel free to put in here, cause it will make easy to compare. (Please put the EXIF Data)

thanks for all your comments.

cheers :),

Last edited:
This will be interesting.

:bsmilie: ZEISS. +1 . LIKE

German Vorsprung durch Technik

:bsmilie::flame::flame::flame:

Hi All Nikoner's

I have a few question regarding Carl Zeiss lens and Nikkor lens:
These lens will be used on Nikon D700

1. If you must choose one of them, which one you will choose?
2. If you compare with the image quality, which one is your choice?
3. If you choose Zeiss, please describe why?
4. If you choose Nikkor, please describe why?
5. If you have a sample picture without post processing, please feel free to put in here, cause it will make easy to compare. (Please put the EXIF Data)

thanks for all your comments.

cheers :),

waaa ask question also so complicated... need to answer 1 to 5... need to post picture, picture cannot be PP also.. and must post EXIF also... power. If I answer all, will get a free kopi or not?

Last edited:
Don't think he is buying.. just ask only... If the buyer do not know what he want, then don't waste money... keep comparing .. save money!!

Try flickr/pixel peeper for samples.

Are you ok with MF? cause the Zeiss is MF.

Are you the type who see what other ppl cannot see? ie. bokeh, contrast, micro contrast, rendering

Do you like quality that extends beyond just optical ability (ie. build quality)?

To me these are the 3 main differentiators.

Errr I read your post and am confused. Who did you say wants to know all this - you or me? Who is thinking of buying either of these lens - you or me. Why are you asking some one else to do you leg work for you ? Did we owe you anything for a past life cos I am sure I do not know you.

Errr I read your post and am confused. Who did you say wants to know all this - you or me? Who is thinking of buying either of these lens - you or me. Why are you asking some one else to do you leg work for you ? Did we owe you anything for a past life cos I am sure I do not know you.

wow this is uncalled for...I also don't get why some guys said he's only asking and not buying and he's not sure of what he wants..cause people ask for opinions before they make a decision? I mean a $2000 lens isn't that cheap. I think it's valid..

Anyway, basically if you're not comfortable with MF, the point is moot, you've got no other choice between the 2. If you want the best of both worlds, get the 85 1.8G and the Zeiss. I prefer the zeiss look, the new 85G is technically perfect but the rendering doesn't stand out. I wouldn't say the Zeiss is imperfect, but it's got more character to me. Go check out pixel peeper or flickr like mentioned above. There are heaps of pictures to view, processed or not, FX, DX, low light or daylight. I'd prefer an AF tele lens though.

Last edited:
waaa ask question also so complicated... need to answer 1 to 5... need to post picture, picture cannot be PP also.. and must post EXIF also... power. If I answer all, will get a free kopi or not?

I buy a coffee if you can give me a good reason :)

Don't think he is buying.. just ask only... If the buyer do not know what he want, then don't waste money... keep comparing .. save money!!

ahahahahaha, you are so funny :D

Buy both. Sell one. Problem solved :D

That's make sense, If I could :)

Try flickr/pixel peeper for samples.

Are you ok with MF? cause the Zeiss is MF.

Are you the type who see what other ppl cannot see? ie. bokeh, contrast, micro contrast, rendering

Do you like quality that extends beyond just optical ability (ie. build quality)?

To me these are the 3 main differentiators.

No problem with the manual focus, I tried to used a manual focus of my nikkor lens, and the feeling is soooo good.
The main thing, I don't want to wasting my money, so I must choose which one is the best.

I like a unique bokeh, 3D view and a good contrast.
I checked on Pixel-peeper and flickr but all the photo looks like to be Post processing, so it's not the actual picture.

Please don't confused of my question, pretending you are in my position, you want gather all the information before you make a decision to buy a lens.

Okay well you replied just after i posted.
I suppose the best thing would be an AF Zeiss, but if you're fine with MF the zeiss is the way to go

I like your answer, that's why I'm asking a question and get an opinion for not a cheap lens.

Thanks for your opinion. :thumbsup:

Okay well you replied just after i posted.
I suppose the best thing would be an AF Zeiss, but if you're fine with MF the zeiss is the way to go

Yeah Zeiss is the best way to get, but I still confused about the image quality in wide open (f1.4), is it quite sharp or not, that's why I need a picture to proof zeiss is a good lens.

Last edited:
Ziess is without a doubt an excellent lens. All lenses are good, just how good and whether will u be able to appreciate its quality. I think since ziess is a mf lens thn how sharp the image is would depend on your MF skills? Correct me if I'm wrong

luckysmurfin said:
that's the last way, I'm still looking for some opinion.

Well others opinions won't matter because you're the person using it. You can have a Nearly $10k Leica rangefinder but you may not be able to appreciate it and perhaps all you need is a Nikon PnS? Same logic here. Others can sing praises about both lenses but it all comes down to you, the user. As pointed out, one has af while the other is only mf. No doubt both can produce excellent pictures but u need to know what you want

Ziess is without a doubt an excellent lens. All lenses are good, just how good and whether will u be able to appreciate its quality. I think since ziess is a mf lens thn how sharp the image is would depend on your MF skills? Correct me if I'm wrong

Well others opinions won't matter because you're the person using it. You can have a Nearly $10k Leica rangefinder but you may not be able to appreciate it and perhaps all you need is a Nikon PnS? Same logic here. Others can sing praises about both lenses but it all comes down to you, the user. As pointed out, one has af while the other is only mf. No doubt both can produce excellent pictures but u need to know what you want

agree for your stand for "ziess is a mf lens thn how sharp the image is would depend on your MF skills"
I know all will come back to me, I will decide which one is better. Thank you for your great opinion, that's +2 point for choose a zeiss lens :).

luckysmurfin said:
agree for your stand for "ziess is a mf lens thn how sharp the image is would depend on your MF skills"
I know all will come back to me, I will decide which one is better. Thank you for your great opinion, that's +2 point for choose a zeiss lens :).

Good luck in your endeavor for The perfect lens :D I'm sure there' review out there in photo zone,dpreview, by thom etc. they can give you a clearer picture of what each lens is like and even sample pictures but by experience, it just makes me more spoilt for choice. Dk bout u tho but u could try it out :)