CanonSG: To launch EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x

Been playing with this lens for 3 days.. definitely awesome.. but 16k.. not easy to get ah..

Was at the event this afternoon and test fired the 200-400. It is a very heavy and huge lens although did not have a chance to hand held. The focussing is very fast, even with the 1.4TC in action and the zooming is smooth. From the test shots and from reviewing the pics thru the viewfinder, seems to be quite sharp. Was told by one of the Canon guys that estimated RRP is probably around S$16k and Canon will only start production in the 2nd quarter. Maybe someone from Canon can confirm this. IMO, it is quite a versatile lens and if it is around 10K-12K street price, maybe can consider :)
For the price and weight you may as well get a 600 IS II! The 200-400's only useful if you want the built-in extender and have lots of light.

For the price and weight you may as well get a 600 IS II! The 200-400's only useful if you want the built-in extender and have lots of light.

Actually the 200-400/4L has its place in the sports arena. In fact pre-production prototypes were sighted during the recent Olympics. Anyway with the crazy performance of the today's high ISO, f4 is not really an issue anymore.

Its a shame that this is priced so much higher than the Nikkor 200-400/4. Perhaps time will tell.

PS: Btw u still shooting soccer? Haven't been seeing your images posted in awhile.

I agree, but when it comes to sports and even wildlife f/4 is only acceptable during full sun or if the stadium has Olympics or World Cup-standard lighting. I've been to many venues for which you will need a f/1.4 on a 1DX at a stop before H to be able to shoot at 1/1000. Life in a developing country. ;)

I've been busy working. I'll go back to shooting futbol when time permits. I haven't been shooting birds either. :bsmilie:

The 200-400 to me is: If you need one super tele, need a zoom or need a built-in extender then this is the lens. But if you are shooting in extremely challenging environments with bad light this isn't the lens for you.

I always thought this would weigh no more and cost no more than a 500 IS II and not as much as a 600 IS II! Most photogs go with the 400/2.8 and slap on a 1.4x (560/4) and 2.0x (800/5.6) for length. Cheaper than the SGD16,00 being proposed and much lighter than the 600 IS II's weight. Not to mention more compact for when transporting.

I hope my forex improves from 40.xx to 35.xx to US$ within 12 months so I can easily get a 600 IS II! :bsmilie: I also hope demand weakens so it will be repriced to US$10,000+.

I hope the next L announced by today is an update to the 135.

Actually the 200-400/4L has its place in the sports arena. In fact pre-production prototypes were sighted during the recent Olympics. Anyway with the crazy performance of the today's high ISO, f4 is not really an issue anymore.

Its a shame that this is priced so much higher than the Nikkor 200-400/4. Perhaps time will tell.

PS: Btw u still shooting soccer? Haven't been seeing your images posted in awhile.