CanonScan 4400F users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrust

Sep 25, 2004
hi guys,

thinking of purchasing this scanner to digitise my slides (unmounted), b&w and normal colour negs.

how's the performance for scanning slides? good?

thinking of using this to scan my gf's 35mm pano taken with the holga, similar to the xpan format which uses 2 frames for a single shot. so is it able to select the areas for the two frames to scan into one image? :)

hi guys,

thinking of using this to scan my gf's 35mm pano taken with the holga, similar to the xpan format which uses 2 frames for a single shot. so is it able to select the areas for the two frames to scan into one image? :)

I use 4200F, which is almost similar but older than 4400F and to answer your question, it has the ability to scan panoramic in 135 bu using Scan Gear CS in advance mode.
there is a toolbar on top-left and click the thumbnail button

Thumbnail Button

Switches the display mode between the thumbnail view that is cropped to the frame size or the uncropped entire image view when a film is scanned

(4200F is used as reference)

hmm, if thats all it takes, i might just give it a shot. I really need a cheap/budget med format scanner.

hmm, if thats all it takes, i might just give it a shot. I really need a cheap/budget med format scanner.

Get The CanonScan 8600F. It takes not only 35mm slides or neg but also 6X6 slides.
Bought in Sim Lim for S$380..

Good buy...

Urahman

Get The CanonScan 8600F. It takes not only 35mm slides or neg but also 6X6 slides.
Bought in Sim Lim for S$380..

Good buy...

Urahman

hi urahman, i might be wrong, but i actually saw the list price at canon to be $329. also, best denki has the same price.

heh, i'm abroad at the moment, where the 4400 is going for about $150 and the 8600F a lot more than that so its a bit harder.....

Hi, I'm really new to this. But what's the output from the 4400 for 135 scanning ... like in terms of number of pixels? It really blows to not be able to find anywhere that does scans with a decent resolution here. The best there is 4-base scanning which produces a measly 1500+ by 1000+ pixel image which isnt' sufficient for my purposes.

So I am considering purchasing a scanner on my next trip back to SG and bringing it over. heh.

Hi, I'm really new to this. But what's the output from the 4400 for 135 scanning ... like in terms of number of pixels? It really blows to not be able to find anywhere that does scans with a decent resolution here. The best there is 4-base scanning which produces a measly 1500+ by 1000+ pixel image which isnt' sufficient for my purposes.

So I am considering purchasing a scanner on my next trip back to SG and bringing it over. heh.

Please allow me to share my understanding: In general, scanning is done in 3 channels: RGB. I am not sure whether your 4-base referred to CMYK...that s printer color setting. --> Anyone can enlighten us more.?

For the number of pixel: u can roughy calculate based on the spec given: number of effective pixel = 4800dpi x 2.54 in.
Thus, the numner of pixels will depend on what res u used to scan. It will definitely more than 1500px at the basic 2400dpi scanning. ;)

From what I gathered off the net. 4-base and 16-base are scanning modes on a Fuji Frontier machine.

Basically a 4-base scan of the 135 format would produce a 1037 x 1536 file

and a 16-base scan produces 2432 x 3637

Interesting question so I did some searching. After much research, I found that we have an misunderstanding. The confusion is calrified by www.vicgum.asn.au/imageformats.pdf (page 3)

4-base and 16-base are image format. (page 3)
Normally, I saved my image in tiff (lossless). The resolution is selectable in the scanner to meet your desired output.

Status
Not open for further replies.