Canon VS Nikon

Yes, if you use manual focus more, you can always try to go for the AI/AIS lens since they are cheaper, but you can't get D90 as it cannot use AI/AIS lens.
Correct me if i'm wrong. :)

Yes, if you use manual focus more, you can always try to go for the AI/AIS lens since they are cheaper, but you can't get D90 as it cannot use AI/AIS lens.

wtf? than which model can use this AI/AIS lenses?

from what i know. D300s can use. Lol. :D

somehow i got the feeling u're trying to brainwash me to buy D300 =.=

hahaha. no bro, i'm a d90 happy user. but i'm quite sure d90 cant use AI/AIS lens. Of course, if your budget allows, most of us will ask you to get your best. :)

hahaha. no bro, i'm a d90 happy user. but i'm quite sure d90 cant use AI/AIS lens. Of course, if your budget allows, most of us will ask you to get your best. :)

When you say the D90 cant use AI/AIS lens you mean metering or? Nikkor legacy glasses cannot meter with the D90 but you can definitely use it but on full manual mode, results are quite good tho.

D300 and above will allow metering with AI/AIS lenses. Hope this small bit will help you TS.

To the TS,

to be honest, no amount of reading is going to help you make up your mind unless you couple that with actual trying out of the cameras. Everyone is going to give you their opinion and it's going to vary from person to person because, like you, different people started out with different needs and wants and now have established themselves in a system they are comfortable with.

With a budget of $3k, that plenty for you start out with. Go have a feel of the bodies offered by the various brands before making your decision. In my opinion, the glass you're going to accumulate over the years is a greater concern than the camera body you start off with but eventually, it's still the man behind the camera.

When you say the D90 cant use AI/AIS lens you mean metering or? Nikkor legacy glasses cannot meter with the D90 but you can definitely use it but on full manual mode, results are quite good tho.

D300 and above will allow metering with AI/AIS lenses. Hope this small bit will help you
TS.

Yeah, i'm talking about the metering. And TS has mentioned he just started and wish to buy a dslr, so i assume he's just like me, who's a newbie and i don't know when to use metering nor how to meter. :embrass:
all i do, is set it auto. lol

To the TS,

to be honest, no amount of reading is going to help you make up your mind unless you couple that with actual trying out of the cameras. Everyone is going to give you their opinion and it's going to vary from person to person because, like you, different people started out with different needs and wants and now have established themselves in a system they are comfortable with.

With a budget of $3k, that plenty for you start out with. Go have a feel of the bodies offered by the various brands before making your decision. In my opinion, the glass you're going to accumulate over the years is a greater concern than the camera body you start off with but eventually, it's still the man behind the camera.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

To me basically, it's up to your own comfort level..
I used to be in your position whereby I'm not sure of which brand to go to for my first DSLR.
As the others have said, test it out and see which one you're more comfortable and familiar with. 2nd thing is, if your friends are using a certain brand, you may want to lean on the same side too. So that in the future you guys can exchange and borrow each other's lenses.. lol! ;)

Yeah, i'm talking about the metering. And TS has mentioned he just started and wish to buy a dslr, so i assume he's just like me, who's a newbie and i don't know when to use metering nor how to meter. :embrass:
all i do, is set it auto. lol

:mad2: wah lau eh....

Cannot meter is totally different from cannot use... please don't spread wrong info.
Next we'll be having people say that non-AFS lenses cannot be used with entry-level Nikon bodies like D40, D60, etc

pentax ftwv(winning value)?
well, do play around with some reviews website, http://www.photozone.de/Technique i was well-informed with this.

btw does D200 beat D90?

There is no such thing as which camera beats which camera.

Different camera model line has different feature set. DXXX offers a lot more features than the DXX line.

So if you talk about high ISO performance, the D90 will have an edge. but the older D200 still offers a lot of features that the D90 doesn't. However a more accurate comparison should be between camera models in the same generation. So you should be comparing the D200 with D80, and the D300 with D90.

In the end, the camera cannot shoot a picture by itself. So a very good photographer will still take better pictures consistently with a D70/D40 than a mediocre one with a D300.

pentax ftwv(winning value)?
well, do play around with some reviews website, http://www.photozone.de/Technique i was well-informed with this.

btw does D200 beat D90?
if you use it to hit the D90, then of course you can use the D200 to 'beat' the D90 :bsmilie:

kinda hard to give an absolute answer. In terms of battery life, LCD screen resolution, high ISO performance and some other things, I think D90 beats the D200. But D200 is super-solid and may offer the features that someone wants.

D300 and above will allow metering with AI/AIS lenses. Hope this small bit will help you TS.

Actually all Dxxx and Dx bodies can meter with Ai/Ais lenses. By default it will work in A mode (using center weighted and spot metering). But if you spend time to enter in the "non-cpu lens" info, you will be see the aperture setting in the info lcd and able to use Color matrix metering (Not 3D matrix metering). In all current nikon dslr bodies, you will be able to mount and use M mode for all Ai/Ais lenses (exposure guide will be turned off and aperture value not showing for all Dxx and Dxxxx bodies).

Last edited:
Actually all Dxxx and Dx bodies can meter with Ai/Ais lenses. By default it will work in A mode (using center weighted and spot metering). But if you spend time to enter in the "non-cpu lens" info, you will be see the aperture setting in the info lcd and able to use Color matrix metering (Not 3D matrix metering). In all current nikon dslr bodies, you will be able to mount and use M mode for all Ai/Ais lenses (exposure guide will be turned off and aperture value not showing for all Dxx and Dxxxx bodies).
something new i learnt. tks bro :thumbsup:

With the histogram, you don't need a few days to know if you have metered correctly. Just do manual exposure + focus. you don't even need an external light meter.:cool:

Buy Canon because it's made in Japan. That's one of the reasons why I have switched from Nikon to Canon and no regrets at all.

And I am not going to elaborate the rest of my reasons cos they are quite standard and you can find them in other threads.

:mad2: wah lau eh....

Cannot meter is totally different from cannot use... please don't spread wrong info.
Next we'll be having people say that non-AFS lenses cannot be used with entry-level Nikon bodies like D40, D60, etc

Sorry bro. :embrass::sweat::sweat:

Buy Canon because it's made in Japan. That's one of the reasons why I have switched from Nikon to Canon and no regrets at all.

And I am not going to elaborate the rest of my reasons cos they are quite standard and you can find them in other threads.

Made in where doesn't really matter, what you do with your tools are more important.

If you think that things made in Japan are somehow higher quality than those made in China, it's only psychological. China is no longer the backward communist country with crap tech.

Labour costs in Japan are higher, end up you pay higher prices for similar quality stuff.