Canon vs Nikon (in term of price and photo style)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you should consider at what level are you going to be using the purchased equipment. i.e. are you a professional-wannabe or just someone who's going into this as a hobby? If the latter, then either of the two systems you've listed and also including the other ones e.g. Sony Alpha, Pentax, Olympus, will meet your needs fine.

As someone's pointed out - unless you're intending to buy the expensive lenses, the cost difference between systems for the consumer grade lenses that are adequate for many hobbyists aren't significant... and that's not even considering third party lenses yet.

And as for color rendition, you can handle in post-processing later.

IMO - other considerations you could be having can be trying the various bodies at shops to see what works for you (this is a personal thing that varies from user to user), and checking around your work place / office / school to see if there are other persons using similar systems (I have 4 colleagues within 20 metres who're all Nikon DSLR users) so you can share information, yak, chat, 'loan'.

Hi,

Getting more confuse after i did more on my research in between Canon and Nikon..

1. Thinking to get Nikon latest model D3000, although body should be quite cheap, but Nikkor lens generally more expensive than Canon's one. (comparing Canon's 50mm f1.8 with Nikkor 35mm f1.8) Overall Nikkor lens will be more expensive than Canon's.

2. Canon produces warmer pictures, as compared to Nikon, more natural color tone.

3. Canon having buy back program now, even Canon 500D kit is cheaper than Nikon D5000. For long term, Canon's lens also cheaper and more variety.

1. aiyo, very easy, pentax lenses are cheap

2. pentax can produce warm pictures

3. pentax without buy back program also very cheap

cheap cheap cheap buy pentax ho ho ho

1. Thinking to get Nikon latest model D3000, although body should be quite cheap, but Nikkor lens generally more expensive than Canon's one. (comparing Canon's 50mm f1.8 with Nikkor 35mm f1.8) Overall Nikkor lens will be more expensive than Canon's.

How can you compare a 35mm to a 50mm? For your info:
Canon EF 35mm f2 is more expensive than the Nikkor AFS 35mm f1.8G
Canon's 50mm f1.8 II is cheaper than the Nikkor AF 50mm f1.8D

Each brand has some cheaper and some better lenses. Canon decided to differentiate pricing using the L lens range. Nikon has ED, but their pricing is not scaled the series they offer - you can find ED in kit lenses e.r. 18-55mm EDII. Overall, each brand's lenses have their strengths and weakness. You can even buy adapters to use one brand's lenses to another brand's body. Nikon lenses do offer a lot more in backward compatibility. You just have to know which body model support which functions on which lens. Ken Rockwell's site has a compatibility chart if you are interested.

2. Canon produces warmer pictures, as compared to Nikon, more natural color tone.
You can adjust anything in PP. And most people do PP their pictures to get the most out of it. The cameras do PP too, in-body, unknown to quite a number of people.

3. Canon having buy back program now, even Canon 500D kit is cheaper than Nikon D5000. For long term, Canon's lens also cheaper and more variety.

This is one thing I wish Nikon had. But will this buy-back at Canon last forever?

Thing is, there is no clear winner between C and N. Some models or lenses may be stronger than others, but overall these 2 systems have no clear winner. Just to mix it up a bit :devil:, did you look at Sony, Pentax and Olympus too? They are all pretty good too. Sony is a rebranded K-minolta and can use legendary minolta lenses. Pentax is also kickbutt in pricing and have good IQ. Olympus is hella good with anti-dust, and is much smaller and lighter with 4/3 system.

Since you mentioned you are a big fan of Canon, you should just get Canon. Moreover, you are familiar with Canon's interface. I would think that being familiar to an interface is a lot more important than 'playing' with a whole new interface. Since the joy should be in taking pictures, and the more you know your camera, the better you are equipped to take good pictures.

Getting more confuse after i did more on my research in between Canon and Nikon..

Hi! Just to share my experience, i've been in this situation before.

I've also done a lot of reading before buying my first DSLR.

All my friends are using Canon, so at first i'm leaning towards Canon, because at that time, i tried Canon 400D and i think its great. But later on, Canon 50D and Nikon D90 came in.

I want to get the Canon 50D because of the good reviews i read, but then D90 is also getting good feedback. So the battle goes on...

What i did is, i stop reading and think of what i really need, after that, i went to some shops and tried both of them. In the end... i bought Nikon D90 because it feels great in my hands and i think the buttons are in the right places, Canon 50D is a bit heavier for me. Since i'm a newbie, i realized that i will not be able to utilize the capabilities of Canon 50D because the kit lens is not enough to utilize its full-potential (based from reviews). As for Nikon D90+18-105 kit lens, i think this is good enough for me for the meantime...

I think you will not make any mistakes whether you go for Canon or Nikon or other brands... You can read some more reviews and ask for some more advise but i think sometimes it will add more confusion, its a never ending argument...

Buy the one the you feel what is right for you (budget and specs wise), only you knows what you want and what you're gonna shoot. :dunno:

Chipping in since I was in the same position just a month or so back. My friends were primarily Canon users and were strongly advocating that I get a Canon 500D. Price-wise the Canon 500D with the kit-lens was also very attractive compared to the Nikon D90 with kit-lens.

I rented the Nikon D90 with kit lens for a week to try out, and then borrowed a really nice friend's Canon 500D for a week for the same. In the end I decided to go with the Nikon D90 because I really much prefer the Nikon in terms of handling. Also prefer how it feels in my hands (though the Canon is much lighter). No real difference in terms of photo quality etc etc. At least not visible to my newbie eyes.

So summary - it is a very personal decision, and you may wish to try out both for a week (rent or borrow) to make sure. Not sure about the other CS-forummers here, but S$1,000 ++ for a camera is a lot of money for me, and I definitely do not wish to change cameras or systems because I have bought the "wrong" camera.

I feel Nikon has better built compared to Canon. Canon colors are more dull, Nikon warmer, saturated. Maybe it's just me but Nikons tend to makes the skin looks kinda silky, gals would love it, while Canons are more unforgiving. Both are good since you're going for cheaper lens to start, might as well go with Canon.

Maybe it's just me but Nikons tend to makes the skin looks kinda silky, gals would love it, while Canons are more unforgiving.

i think it's just you.

since, if the skin is "kinda silky" it means that nikon cameras aren't capturing the details. :bsmilie:

go to a cam shop.. ask to try all e cam u wanna gt (50D, D90, e list goes on) try which has e grip, position of e dial n other function's buttons acess is comfortable n convinent for u..
if u wanna share lens? u no choice stick to cannot cos ur friends all canon user rite??

1. aiyo, very easy, pentax lenses are cheap

2. pentax can produce warm pictures

3. pentax without buy back program also very cheap

cheap cheap cheap buy pentax ho ho ho

2nd this. :)

Pentax no need to familiarize. Pick up, fiddle few mins, know how to operate already :D

2nd this. :)

Pentax no need to familiarize. Pick up, fiddle few mins, know how to operate already :D

Actually, all CAMERAs are the same. You'd just need to fiddle and learn.

Maybe it's just me but Nikons tend to makes the skin looks kinda silky, gals would love it, while Canons are more unforgiving.

I actually see the opposite... Canon tends to lose details and "go soft", especially at higher ISO.

you know what TS ? go to the shops and test it out .

and then decide. if you still cant decide ? put aside $100 and go http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54 and then check out the threads and RENT the camera .

sometimes it takes time to decide. this is not a cheap hobby/item . its an investment to some like me. so decide properly. if you really ask me to choos between nikon and canon, I'd get both if i have the money though I am using a nikon.

how you feel when you use the body. how you feel when you are using/have the lens . dont let people push you around, dont let marketing win your heart. What you feel is good go for it . 500d ? d60? D5000 ? D90 ? 50d ? So what ?!

Why not pentax ? Why not Olympus ? the choices are endless. the interfaces are endless. Its just like using a computer OS. Win 95,98,2000,ME, Win XP ,Win Vista , Win 7, Mac Os X , Linux ubuntu, linux redhat ... etc

it seems strange at first to use it.. but in the end after sometime using it you will get used.

go out and try it first. you want my most honest opinion , i believe every brand of DSLRs and cameras out there are good. its just how you see it and let media and people influence you that makes it bad

Bottom of your heart...... canon fan
Buddies.... canon user
;)

I 3rd this

The Pentax K7 can really kick the butt of many competitors.

4th this.

At the end of the day, will you spend your hard earned cash just to buy the brand name, or get something that is really useful for photography? *cough* In-body IS *cough*

Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus all make good cameras. There is no bad cameras now. Only lots of marketing gimmicks. Why do you want to spend time trying to figure out how to use a Nikon when you are familiar with Canon system? If you think Canon colour suits you better,pricing is more affordable for you,holds better in your hand. Get it.

:thumbsup: I reckon what alfred had said.

I guess most new DSLR owners will do the same, comparing prices, specs. It's perfectly normal and nothing wrong with that. But sometimes too much thinking can complicate your decision. Firstly stick to your budget. Secondly check for sample images produced by the various shortlisted cameras. Some brands produce cooler images while some are warmer. Thirdly, head down to the shop and have a hands-on session with the cameras. Dont be surprised that things like button layouts, menus, etc can influence your decision.

Forget about comparing the lens prices of the various brands. Prices do fluctuate. Today you may buy Canon camera becos their lenses are cheaper. Tomorrow Canon may say they wanna increase their lens prices. So what will you do then? If you are deciding between Canon or Nikon, then I can safely tell you this. Whatever cameras you buy will be a good camera (but of cos you get what you pay).

Just remember.. It's the photographer who takes the pictures, not the camera. Hope my 2cents worth of opinion helps. :bsmilie:

1. It's called sponsorship.

2. Do you think you can afford/need one of those lenses?

i think affording isn't the problem

but more of the need, is there a need for a 70-200 f/2.8 IS L?

i think affording isn't the problem

but more of the need, is there a need for a 70-200 f/2.8 IS L?

70-200 is a common range, and is very handy for all brands.

The sports photogs normally use 300, 400, 600mm lenses...

Status
Not open for further replies.