Canon unveils Fist Camera With Digic 5: the PowerShot S100

kangdi

Dec 18, 2006
Jurong East
Canon unveils Fist Camera With Digic 5: the PowerShot S100
London, UK, 15th September 2011 – Canon today announces the launch of the new PowerShot S100 – a powerful, versatile and highly compact camera offering photographers extensive control and leading image quality. The most advanced PowerShot S-series model to date, the PowerShot S100 surpasses the high standards set by its acclaimed predecessor, featuring a new f/2.0 Canon lens and an enhanced HS System, which combines an elite high-sensitivity sensor with the very latest in Canon processing technology – DIGIC 5.

Packed with upgrades, the PowerShot S100 marks a true step forward for the PowerShot S-series. Its 24mm ultra-wide angle, 5.0x optical zoom genuine Canon lens provides greater power and flexibility, and combines with Canon's Intelligent Image Stabilizer (IS) system to deliver crisp, clear images in stills and movies. GPS functionality records the time and location of every shot, Full HD movie recording captures stunning video, and the powerful DIGIC 5 processor offers fast shooting speeds and even better image quality in all conditions. All of these new features also come in a super-slim body measuring just 26.7mm front-to-back, available in matte black and titanium silver variants.

The HS System with DIGIC 5 – new levels of power

The PowerShot S100 features the most powerful implementation of the HS System yet. Building on the PowerShot S-series' reputation for providing high-quality, low noise images in low light, the enhanced HS System optimally combines DIGIC 5 processing with a high-sensitivity 12.1 Megapixel 1/1.7-type CMOS developed using Canon EOS sensor know-how – providing an even more powerful basis for low light photography. Supporting a maximum ISO of 6400 at full resolution, the camera fully-utilises the high performance of the CMOS sensor and the power of DIGIC 5 to reduce image noise – offering the reassurance of excellent image quality in all conditions.

Designed to achieve new and advanced levels of image quality, DIGIC 5 analyses four times more image information to create each pixel, recording more detail and colour from a scene than ever before. Processing speed is also six times faster compared to the previous processor, efficiently managing the increase in scene information and simultaneously reducing the appearance of image noise by up to 75%1.

Canon PowerShot S100 – key features:

High-sensitivity 12.1 Megapixel Canon CMOS (1/1.7 type)
HS System with powerful DIGIC 5
Ultra-wide 24mm, f/2.0, 5x zoom lens. Intelligent IS
Lens Control Ring, NR Control & RAW
GPS
Full HD, HDMI
Large 7.5 cm (3.0") LCD
High-speed Burst HQ
Smart Auto, Multi-area WB
Optional Waterproof Case
From: http://www.dpreview.com/news/1109/11091530canons100announced.asp

Last edited:
This confirms that the Digic V will be included in all new cameras including the long awaited 5D Mk III.

Cool, can't wait for the s100!

no wonder recently canon starts slashing prices for their compacts

this is really exciting >.<
i almost got my hands on a s95 but i waited!!

hope it will be as cheap as current pricing for S95 or even cheaper than S95 if possible...

LIkely to be launched at $669 or $699, since s95 drop price to $599

Now all I have to do.... wait for 2nd hand S95 to drop price... :bsmilie:

eagerly awaiting to see the OOC jpegs

Focal length (35mm equivalent)
24 28 35 50 85 100 120
S100 2.0 2.2 2.8 4.0 5.0 5.6 5.9
S95 - 2.0 2.5 3.2 4.5 4.9 -

[taken from dpreview]

do note. while it has a maximum aperture of f2, the lens has always been relatively 'poorer' than the competition.

Last edited:
Focal length (35mm equivalent)
24 28 35 50 85 100 120
S100 2.0 2.2 2.8 4.0 5.0 5.6 5.9
S95 - 2.0 2.5 3.2 4.5 4.9* -

[taken from dpreview]

do note. while it has a maximum aperture of f2, the lens has always been relatively 'poorer' than the competition.

f5.9 is bit too dark

better wait for S105... or S110

Don't know how the rest of you feels but for some reason I am more excited about hearing Digic 5 than S100... :bsmilie:

Don't know how the rest of you feels but for some reason I am more excited about hearing Digic 5 than S100... :bsmilie:
same here. no too excited about S100 (& SX40), but Digic 5...

Time to buy the S95 when the S100 releases....

i find the camera n the rubber grip looks a little 'cheap' and ugly though....

Don't worry you're not alone. ;)

And I feel the aperture is disappointing at the long end compared to other offerings in the same category from other competitors.