Canon SX20IS or Lumix FZ35?

ashbeck

Feb 24, 2010
I'm looking for a decent point and shoot camera and I did some research.

I shortlisted Canon SX20IS and Lumix FZ35.

Anybody got any comment(s) on this two cameras?

Both cameras are about $750-$800 which is within my budget.

Welcome to CS :)
Since you have shortlisted your choice, have you ask yourself some of these questions? Which area of photography are you interested in? Any chance of developing this hobby? How deep is your interest in photography? Have you considered a DSLR?

SX20 IS for it's slightly practical size, AA batteries and 0cm macro. :)

Last edited:
I'll choose the Panasonic, but that's me.

what are you using the camera for?

for travel, the SX20 AA batteries is a handy feature. Otherwise the G11 might be more convenient.

I'm looking for a decent point and shoot camera and I did some research.

I shortlisted Canon SX20IS and Lumix FZ35.

Anybody got any comment(s) on this two cameras?

Both cameras are about $750-$800 which is within my budget.

Seems like there's a big difference in weight between the 2 cameras.
A quick search through DPreview showed that the Canon is about 600g and the Lumix is about 400g.
Not a fan of extreme-zoom cameras, as I tend to feel they are compromised optically. Already felt my previous (read: ancient) FZ-10 was overkill at 12x zoom (35-420mm equiv).
The FZ35 also has a larger maximum aperture (f/4.4) at the telephoto end. That might make a difference.

Thanks all for reply. I been wanting to have photography as my hobby since i'm in secondary school. So right now, i'm gonna make it happen.

For a start, i'm looking for something between compact and DSLR therefore i looked into extreme zoom camera and shortlisted these two cameras. For DSLR, maybe when i'm a little more "pro" then i will consider buying one.

Anybody got any shop to intro to look at these two cameras?