Canon, Sony and Kodak are Global Top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
Kodak Rises to Third in Global Digital-Camera Sales (Update1)

April 14 (Bloomberg) -- Eastman Kodak Co., the world's largest photography company, rose to third place in global digital camera sales last year, surpassing Olympus Corp., according to a report by IDC, a market data company.

Worldwide shipments of digital cameras reached 74 million units in 2004, IDC said today in a report. Rochester, New York- based Kodak, which last year surged past Sony Corp. as the top seller in the U.S., had an 11.8 percent global market share.

Chief Executive Officer Daniel Carp is transforming Kodak into a digital-imaging company as sales of film decline. He announced in September 2003 that Kodak would concentrate on digital imaging for consumers, health-care professionals and commercial printers. Since then, the company has accelerated the introduction of its EasyShare cameras, printers and docks.

``A lot of Kodak's move had to do with how well they did in the U.S. last year,'' said Christopher Chute, senior research analyst at Framingham, Massachusetts-based IDC.

Canon Inc. edged past Sony to take the top global share with 17.1 percent, helped by sales of its digital single-lens reflex cameras, IDC said. Sony dropped to 16.7 percent. SLR cameras see images directly through the camera lens and are favored by professionals and advanced users.

``That whole piece of the market has become much more of a consumer market,'' Chute said. ``Consumer fixed-lens cameras that cost $800 to $1,000 have gone away and SLRs are taking over.''

Nikon, Fuji Photo

Of the 74 million digital cameras shipped last year, 2.5 million were SLR models, IDC said, with 58 percent sold by Tokyo- based Canon, compared with 3.2 percent for Kodak. IDC did not break down SLR sales in its 2003 ranking, when 800,000 such cameras were sold.

Olympus had a 2004 market share of 11.2 percent. Nikon Corp. pulled ahead of Fuji Photo Film Co. for fifth place with 9.3 percent to 9.1 percent for Fuji. All of the companies are based in Tokyo.

Kodak's U.S. market share for digital cameras was 21.9 percent last year, while Sony had 19.4 percent, IDC said in February.

Kodak shares fell 36 cents to $31.48 in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have risen 26 percent in the past year.

1) Canon

2) Sony

3) Kodak

4) Olympus

5) Nikon

6) Fuji Photo

Looks like Nikon is still basking in it's former glory and need to pull up their socks.

I guess Nikon is less agressive in their marketing, they also don't launch as many products. IMO, Olympus is one of the most agressive in marketing.

Daniel Nielson said:
IMO, Olympus is one of the most agressive in marketing.

Olympus aggressive in marketing? At least not in Singapore, IMO. I feel the most aggressive in marketing in our island is Canon, followed by Sony, Panasonic and Nikon.

Branding alone, Canon and Sony are way ahead of the rest. Just ask around your friends and family, most of the time they will think of Canon and Sony. Maybe Nikon. Olympus? I don't think so.

And I believe Nikon has a strong market share in Singapore, ahead of Kodak, Olympus and Fujifilm.

:)

I might be wrong, but it seems that Olympus products (both P&S and dSLR) are priced more aggresively than the rest (of the similar spec.). Also if you notice those small photo printing shop, they are more likely to sell Olympus P&S than Canon or Nikon. But Sony sure has dumped big bucks in advertisement though.

Agree that Nikon still has a large hoard of loyal followerhere is Singapore, but that seems to be in the higher end equipments like SLR/dSLR, the consumer side which is the bulk of the pie unfortunately doesn't fare too well, the general consumer will prefer the shiny gadget style of P&S that Sony (despite the they uses goofy MS, and the even more expensive duo version) and the rest provide. Notice that Nikon does not have ultra slim model like Sony T series and Canon Ixus line?

Unfortunately in this cruel world, making the best equipment is not enough to survive, the large consumer base is the key to survivability. But I think it won't take too long for Nikon to realise respond, or they will go down the path of Contax or may be Leica which they certainly won't let themselves. :)

Daniel Nielson said:
Notice that Nikon does not have ultra slim model like Sony T series and Canon Ixus line?

Well, I mean up to now, I know that they have a Coolpix S1 to fight back. :)

Think canon mainly use those pro as their living signboard you see in some of their ads in megazine , overseas ads ... etc thus the following of the consumer , but i do see nikon cater more to the consumer market then canon . Well IMHO .

It is interesting that we live in the same world under the same media (well, may be not) yet perceive differently. :)

Just three years after launching a low-priced line of digital cameras, Kodak shipped 8.6 million of the point-and-shoot models in 2004. Its market share edged up to 12.1 percent from 12 percent in 2003 _ in contrast with a drop in share by all four of its main Japanese rivals.

Sony, the Tokyo-based electronics and entertainment giant, shipped 12.3 million point-and-shoot digital cameras, up 40 percent from 8.8 million in 2003, but its slice of the global market fell to 17.2 percent from 18.4 percent, IDC said.

Canon was second with a 15.7 percent share, down from 16.2 percent. When high-end single-lens-reflex cameras are added, however, Canon leads the digital camera market with 12.6 million shipments, or 17.1 percent, ahead of Sony with 16.7 percent and Kodak with 11.8 percent, IDC said.

Olympus shipped 8.2 million point-and-shoot digital cameras in 2004, but its market share dropped to 11.5 percent from 13 percent in 2003. Next was Fuji with 9.3 percent, Nikon Corp. with 8.6 percent and Palo Alto, Calif.-based Hewlett-Packard Co. with 4.6 percent.

I think I got the ranking slightly wrong after reading the above quote again from the link I gave earlier and the original quote by xtemujin.

Digital P&S 2004 Global market share
1. Sony (12.3 million, 17.2%)
2. Canon (11.2 million*, 15.7%)
3. Kodak (8.6 million, 12.1%)
4. Olympus (8.2 million, 11.5%)
5. Fuijifilm (6.6 million*, 9.3%)
6. Nikon (6.1 million*, 8.6%)
7. HP (3.3 million*, 4.6%)

Total 71.4 million*

Digicam 2004 Global market share
1. Canon (12.6 million, 17.1%)
2. Sony (12.3 million*, 16.7%)
3. Kodak (8.7 million, 11.8%)
4. Olympus (8.3 million* , 11.2%)
5. Nikon (6.9 million*, 9.3%)
6. Fujifilm (6.7 million*, 9.1%)

Total 74 million

DSLR 2004 global market share
1. Canon (1.4 million*, 58%)
2. Nikon (0.8 million*, 32%*)
Olympus, Kodak, Fujifilm (0.1 million each*)

Total 2.5 million

*Interpolated Calculations

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.