Canon S90 or G11 for her 21ST!

G11 has the heft that may or may not suit individuals. Also, from personal experience, it was difficult to find a decent case for the G11 because its dimensions are quite unique, but since then I've got 2 cases for it (1 leather and 1 nylon) so let's just say it's not impossible.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, has indicated her interest in an S90. Her reasons are that it's smaller and lighter than the G11, yet has more or less similar features to it (minus the manual dials). In terms of image quality, I think they are on par. The S90 does resemble the Canon IXUS series (IMO at least) albeit lacking in colour choices. It is slightly cheaper, too.

Just sharing my views and experience. Now it's up to you :)

good advice..

But the S90 does have Manual Dial too. unless you talking about the ISO and Exposure compensation type of Manual dial. :bsmilie:

One thing to consider, I've read that S90 batt life is terrible, 200+ shots and the batt's dead.

G11 has the heft that may or may not suit individuals. Also, from personal experience, it was difficult to find a decent case for the G11 because its dimensions are quite unique, but since then I've got 2 cases for it (1 leather and 1 nylon) so let's just say it's not impossible.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, has indicated her interest in an S90. Her reasons are that it's smaller and lighter than the G11, yet has more or less similar features to it (minus the manual dials). In terms of image quality, I think they are on par. The S90 does resemble the Canon IXUS series (IMO at least) albeit lacking in colour choices. It is slightly cheaper, too.

Just sharing my views and experience. Now it's up to you :)

So did you buy it for her?:)

oh yeah s90 for a girl...anytime.

Hi Sivakis,

Is it still applicable? Cos i might have frens who has an old unused canon camera.... it's would be extremely beneficial if that is true! =D

Hi leowyien! Not yet... hahaha.. still havent decide yet and now i wanna check with u peeps and canon for the privilege purchase mentioned!

Btw, thanks all for the useful info again ~! ~!

Haha, I chose Ixus130 instead!
G11 is not my choice cos is too bulky. If get G11, might as well use back a dslr.
S90 was my shortlisted one , until this innocent Ixus130 was in the glass cabinet. the curves was too chio to resist. So, it became my shortlisted.
then, when i find out Ixus has fisheye and minature mode, and S90 do not have it, the ball immediately swing to Ixus130 ;)

My take is, let ur gf see S90 or Ixus 130, and let her try it out to decide. that is what my bf does ;)
Tho S90 is more ex, in terms of value, i feel, it is actually more "resellable" than Ixus130.
(I was looking @ S90 for $525 if i get from hkg, VS $438 if i get from SGP)
But the features are what caught my eye.

S90 is quite ugly if it stands beside Ixus130 (but i must say, S90 is pretty on its own!)

One last thing for my consideration was, when i test S90, and half-press, the lcd screen always flicker. I used two S90 to verify it. But at the same spot, Ixus130 LCD do not flicker. So, I am not sure if it is due to S90.

Hope these help!

Haha, I chose Ixus130 instead!
G11 is not my choice cos is too bulky. If get G11, might as well use back a dslr.
S90 was my shortlisted one , until this innocent Ixus130 was in the glass cabinet. the curves was too chio to resist. So, it became my shortlisted.
then, when i find out Ixus has fisheye and minature mode, and S90 do not have it, the ball immediately swing to Ixus130 ;)

My take is, let ur gf see S90 or Ixus 130, and let her try it out to decide. that is what my bf does ;)
Tho S90 is more ex, in terms of value, i feel, it is actually more "resellable" than Ixus130.
(I was looking @ S90 for $525 if i get from hkg, VS $438 if i get from SGP)
But the features are what caught my eye.

S90 is quite ugly if it stands beside Ixus130 (but i must say, S90 is pretty on its own!)

One last thing for my consideration was, when i test S90, and half-press, the lcd screen always flicker. I used two S90 to verify it. But at the same spot, Ixus130 LCD do not flicker. So, I am not sure if it is due to S90.

Hope these help!

Haha! Not my gf ~ She's my sister! :D

Well, i think u're bias to Ixus130 >.< But Thanks for your comment ya...

S90 price range seems to differ... is it so? i can oblete canon price as it is too high but i suppose the price in sg shld be ard 700.. are you looking at a 2nd hand price? i'm confused :dunno:

Haha! Not my gf ~ She's my sister! :D

Well, i think u're bias to Ixus130 >.< But Thanks for your comment ya...

S90 price range seems to differ... is it so? i can oblete canon price as it is too high but i suppose the price in sg shld be ard 700.. are you looking at a 2nd hand price? i'm confused :dunno:

Haha nice bro for u!

Yeap I guess i am biased for Ixus 130 hence i chose 130. =)

Singapore price the last I checked was 620-630 @ SLR Revo or Parisilk.
500+ was from Hongkong.

2nd hand wise, I haven consider cos it was quite a new camera when i first looked @ in Dec 09. Probably now have?

I just got a G11 1 week ago @ $791, S90 @ $660 from SLRR.

Hi leowyien! Not yet... hahaha.. still havent decide yet and now i wanna check with u peeps and canon for the privilege purchase mentioned!

Btw, thanks all for the useful info again ~! ~!

the Canon Privilege Purchase is still ON from what I know.

the Canon Privilege Purchase is still ON from what I know.

COOL... but i've sent an email to them to double confirm ;p Just wanna be sure...

Well pixie, the price to pay to be a big brother :sweat:

COOL... but i've sent an email to them to double confirm ;p Just wanna be sure...

Good luck with the Email.

So far most people haven't had much results with emails and calls..

awhhhh.. let me know if you are recruiting any sister! hahahaha... have fun!

Haha nice bro for u!

Yeap I guess i am biased for Ixus 130 hence i chose 130. =)

Singapore price the last I checked was 620-630 @ SLR Revo or Parisilk.
500+ was from Hongkong.

2nd hand wise, I haven consider cos it was quite a new camera when i first looked @ in Dec 09. Probably now have?

Haha! Girls know best.

Bro, the staff are not allowed to confirm through emails or calls, but only if you bring a faulty canon camera to them at the CSC, then you will be offered to file for a privileged purchase.
Currently, the S90 is only $595 while the newly launched powershot SX210IS is $516 after the 20.5%"privileged discount". I am going down with my old IXUS70 one of these days after I decide which to get, S90 or SX210.
Good luck!

My wife wanted G11 too ... but when we go canon showroom i showed her S90 she got confuse ...
She plan to get for herself but I plan to get for her on her BD as a suprise ..so i ask her ...
"so how? you decided which one u wanna get? G11 or S90?"
"G11 as i been wanting it since G7"

Just need simple trick to ask which one ... mayb can try that on your sis :thumbsup:

My wife wanted G11 too ... but when we go canon showroom i showed her S90 she got confuse ...
She plan to get for herself but I plan to get for her on her BD as a suprise ..so i ask her ...
"so how? you decided which one u wanna get? G11 or S90?"
"G11 as i been wanting it since G7"

Just need simple trick to ask which one ... mayb can try that on your sis :thumbsup:

She's been wanting one since the G7? Don't wait for her birthday to come already!

sorry to hijack this thread, i'm looking to buy my wife a camera as well, mainly to take our daughter which is due pretty soon. i have considered both but would tend to choose s90 over g11 because of its sze. but the one thing lacking for s90 is the video quality. most of the compact cam comes with full HD now but not the s90 and that's the reason i have not bought the camera yet. are there any other camera out there that's similar to the quality of s90 but with full HD video?

sorry to hijack this thread, i'm looking to buy my wife a camera as well, mainly to take our daughter which is due pretty soon. i have considered both but would tend to choose s90 over g11 because of its sze. but the one thing lacking for s90 is the video quality. most of the compact cam comes with full HD now but not the s90 and that's the reason i have not bought the camera yet. are there any other camera out there that's similar to the quality of s90 but with full HD video?

You taking yr daughter? (I have a long way to hv 1)lol:) and since you need the video function, the G11 is best. The best choice to capture spontaneous moments or footage of video can be captured through the G11. Despite its size and weight, its not bad as its just a few inches of size for the s90. Its is much portable compared to my DSLR which I carry it to almost everywhere.