Hi, newbie here.

Could anyone enlighten me what's the use for the following accessories

Tele-converter 1.5x

Lens Adapter/Hood Set

Wide Converter 0.75x

Close-up lens 500D

Txs! :)

Tele-converter 1.5x
This just multiplies the focal length of the S3. Basicly, it increases the reach of the lens by 1.5X. So instead of being 36 mm to 432 mm, it is now 54 mm to 648 mm. So you get a 'bit' more zoom out of the camera. Makes it easier to take far away objects without getting closer to them. Its just a few pieces of glass that is placed infront of the camera. There are third party lenses that are compatible with the S3IS, like the Raynox DCR-1540PRO 1.54X

Lens Adapter/Hood Set
You need the adapter to add additional stuff, like the above mentioned Tele-converter. The canon has 58mm threads, so you can screw on UV filters, polarises, etc etc. You can get adapters from other companies, like Raynox or Lensmate.

Wide Converter 0.75x
Its similar to the tele-converter. Except it reduces the focal length. Makes 'more' of the image fit in. So its easier to take a large group of people without stepping back.

Close-up lens 500D
This makes it possible to take larger images of small objects. Its basicly a macro filter.

Hope this makes sense.

Jackal,

I will tell you what I know.

Tele-converter 1.5x => For increasing the zoom power of your camera

Lens Adapter/Hood Set => I think that it is necessary for hooking up the tele-converter or the wide converter to your camera.

Wide Converter 0.75x => Increasing the wide angle of your S3 from 35mm to 28mm (more or less)

Close-up lens 500D => Macro Lens?

Anyone want to confirm my understanding.

Simon

cerebrus said:
Tele-converter 1.5x
This just multiplies the focal length of the S3. Basicly, it increases the reach of the lens by 1.5X. So instead of being 36 mm to 432 mm, it is now 54 mm to 648 mm. So you get a 'bit' more zoom out of the camera. Makes it easier to take far away objects without getting closer to them. Its just a few pieces of glass that is placed infront of the camera.

Lens Adapter/Hood Set
You need the adapter to add additional stuff, like the above mentioned Tele-converter. The canon has 58mm threads, so you can screw on UV filters, polarises, etc etc. You can get adapters from other companies, like Raynox or Lensmate.

Wide Converter 0.75x
Its similar to the tele-converter. Except it reduces the focal length. Makes 'more' of the image fit in. So its easier to take a large group of people without stepping back.

Close-up lens 500D
This makes it possible to take larger images of small objects. Its basicly a macro filter.

Hope this makes sense.
hi cerebrus, that was kind of u. :) really appreciate it
hmm...in short in order to have these additional lens i will have to buy the lens adapter/hood set, rite?

btw, do u have any shop in mind that offer the best deal for the lens adapter?

Jackals said:
hi cerebrus, that was kind of u. :) really appreciate it
hmm...in short in order to have these additional lens i will have to buy the lens adapter/hood set, rite?

btw, do u have any shop in mind that offer the best deal for the lens adapter?

Seems like SimonTemplar & I posted at the same time. :)

Yeah, you need the adapter before you can mount anything on the camera. One question you should ask yourself is what do you want to do with the camera? Like shoot things far away, or shoot buildings, or insects? Then you can buy the apropriate add on. Here I was thinking that since I dont have a dSLR, I would keep my spending in check.... keep on wanting to get stuff. :bsmilie:

I have the S2IS, which is basicly almost the same as the S3IS. I bought my adapters from Lensmate. They are metal, and look like the camera. Price is almost the same as the black plastic one from Canon. Also, some people have had problems with the plastic threads on the Canon adapter. The lensmate site is here

plz do note dat though all these accessories enhances e abilities of e camera, they are more or less converters.. nt lens. so, img quality is affected..
i use e wide-converter wif my S2.. decent. but find dat e sides are rather soft..
an accessory i wld recommend wld be e cir polarizer.. find it rather useful when takin water surfaces. haf to compromise light though.. abt. 2 f. stops.

Hi cerebus,

I think there is a reason, mechanically, for Canon to design the adapter with plastic material. After much attaching and removal, the metal-to-metal contact may hurt the camera thread. While with plastic adaptor, the cheaper adaptor will be sacrifying thread and this will protect the camera thread better.

Just my tot, what do you think?

cerebrus said:
Seems like SimonTemplar & I posted at the same time. :)

Yeah, you need the adapter before you can mount anything on the camera. One question you should ask yourself is what do you want to do with the camera? Like shoot things far away, or shoot buildings, or insects? Then you can buy the apropriate add on. Here I was thinking that since I dont have a dSLR, I would keep my spending in check.... keep on wanting to get stuff. :bsmilie:

I have the S2IS, which is basicly almost the same as the S3IS. I bought my adapters from Lensmate. They are metal, and look like the camera. Price is almost the same as the black plastic one from Canon. Also, some people have had problems with the plastic threads on the Canon adapter. The lensmate site is here

lastboltnut said:
Hi cerebus,

I think there is a reason, mechanically, for Canon to design the adapter with plastic material. After much attaching and removal, the metal-to-metal contact may hurt the camera thread. While with plastic adaptor, the cheaper adaptor will be sacrifying thread and this will protect the camera thread better.

Just my tot, what do you think?
Well, I know people whos filters are stuck on the Canon adapters. Do not think metal on metal is a problem, else all those SLR users will have worn their threads out.

NightZ88 said:
plz do note dat though all these accessories enhances e abilities of e camera, they are more or less converters.. nt lens. so, img quality is affected..
Yeah, this is quite a common problem with add on lenses. Though for some, there is no reduction in light or image quality.

Tele-Converter is a "make-shift" solution in the first place, if the light travels through so many lens, there sure to have some distortion........no choice loh. If really serious, then have to buy SLR and use only Tele lens and not even zoom len liao.......but I am just a normal fellow using a camera for fun.

I think the Wide Converter would be most useful. On several occasions, I had difficulties trying to include everyone in the group photo in an enclosed room. I have some questions:

1. Is it easy to put on/off the adapter and converter? Or do I leave it on the camera?

2. If I leave it on the camera, does it affect any other function? All functions including zoom still work? Can the lens cover fit?

3. How does the camera look like with the adapter and converter? Any pictures?

4. The adapter and converter are listed at $59 and $199. Will the 3rd party products be cheaper?

The adaptor is mounted on the lens of the camera, then whatever lens you add will be on the adaptor......I think you will 1 2 take it off after using......

tks said:
I think the Wide Converter would be most useful. On several occasions, I had difficulties trying to include everyone in the group photo in an enclosed room. I have some questions:

1. Is it easy to put on/off the adapter and converter? Or do I leave it on the camera?

2. If I leave it on the camera, does it affect any other function? All functions including zoom still work? Can the lens cover fit?

3. How does the camera look like with the adapter and converter? Any pictures?

4. The adapter and converter are listed at $59 and $199. Will the 3rd party products be cheaper?
what do u think abt the tele-conveter?
worth getting it?

Jackals said:
what do u think abt the tele-conveter?
worth getting it?
it depends on u.. wat are ur subjects? at 12x, it already stretches e capabilities of e S2/S3 already.. if u add more mm to it, i'm quite positive dat u'll definitely nid a tripod at max zoom. and even den, ur img. wld seem soft..

acutally, i'm thinking of getting the lens adapter and the wide converter

Jackals said:
yupz.. wat wld u take? sceneries? i wld recommend close up filter to u though.. gd for macros.

NightZ88 said:
yupz.. wat wld u take? sceneries? i wld recommend close up filter to u though.. gd for macros.
i find S3 macro is good enough liao leh

Jackals said:

Actually, the wide angle lens would be the first thing for me to get. (if i buy the S3.)

lastboltnut said:
Agreed, wide angle is more important, as S3 has 12X zoom liao......
u getting also? :)

lastboltnut said:
Agreed, wide angle is more important, as S3 has 12X zoom liao......

I would love to have a Wide angle too! But expensive leh...... used up my government funds liao hehee..... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.