Canon Picture Styles

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlantis

Mar 26, 2006
Like to know from fellow photographers whether you use the picture styles in Canon dslr or manually adjust the sharpness, contrast, color saturation and color tone during post-processing.

Thanks.

I manually adjust the sharpness, contrast, color saturation and color tone in the cam itself...;)

Like to know from fellow photographers whether you use the picture styles in Canon dslr or manually adjust the sharpness, contrast, color saturation and color tone during post-processing.

Thanks.
Erm, when you say "picture styles" you mean the "standard/faithful/neutral/landscape" option? As far as i can tell, this option only affects the relative rendering of the colours, and is independent of the sharpness/contrast/saturation/tone settings.

Erm, when you say "picture styles" you mean the "standard/faithful/neutral/landscape" option? As far as i can tell, this option only affects the relative rendering of the colours, and is independent of the sharpness/contrast/saturation/tone settings.

Yes, the picture styles I am referring to is the "standard/faithful/neutral/landscape" option.
If you check the camera manual (pg 58 to 62 for 30D, in my case), adjusting the parameters such as sharpness/contrast/saturation/color tone is allowed.

Yes, the picture styles I am referring to is the "standard/faithful/neutral/landscape" option.
If you check the camera manual (pg 58 to 62 for 30D, in my case), adjusting the parameters such as sharpness/contrast/saturation/color tone is allowed.

Hi there! You're correct, even if let's say you set to "neutral", you can still manually adjust its sharpness etc...

For my case I'm using neutral, and all parameters "0", because I want my pics to remain in its most natural state. Canon is well known for its red hue and over-sharpening (for 5D, in my case). Btw I'm shooting RAW.

i set it to standard on my 40D, and adjust the rest during PP in lightroom

It seems that many photographers do adjustments during post-processing.

Thank you for all your feedback and comments.

Jpeg large.

have always set saturation, sharpness and contrast to +1. use user defined picture styles.

however sometimes will tone keep the sharpness level where it is:)

if you shoot RAW it doesnt affect the output
am i right?

For picture styles, I'm not sure. but for the values and parameters, it does. E.g. when I shoot 'Neutral', my sharpness is 0. But the RAW output will be different if I adjust the sharpness to 6.

For picture styles, I'm not sure. but for the values and parameters, it does. E.g. when I shoot 'Neutral', my sharpness is 0. But the RAW output will be different if I adjust the sharpness to 6.

oh really!
hmm thanx for clarifying that

i leave mine on standard and for pp, its all done in photoshop. i don't see much point in adjusting on the cam, only to meddle with the adjustments again in photoshop..

i leave mine on standard and for pp, its all done in photoshop. i don't see much point in adjusting on the cam, only to meddle with the adjustments again in photoshop..

I agree.

Why edit your photos on a 3", uncorrected and low resolution screen when you can do the same on your 24", corrected and HD ready one? =D

Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.