Canon, made in Japan --------arghhhhhhhhh!

hammy

Aug 21, 2008
Looking for a place....
I have been a long time member of cs..benefited a lot from all the info here but i never contributed any threads before.
Sad that my first post has to be a tirade against Canon's quality....

I have a almost 3 year old 450d...when i first ventured into the DSLR world, I just wanted to buy a Nikon or a Canon as these were the 2 top brands.
I was deciding between a D60 and a 450d when the sales guy told me, "Bro. Canon made in Japan..Nikon made in Thailand. Buy the 450d lah". It was a no-brainer I thought.. Made in Japan vs Made in Thailand. Of cos Canon....

Last week while shooting, I noticed the command dial was a bit wobbly..I pressed it down and it snapped right back...thinking it was just loose, I continued shooting while slinging my camera around my shoulder while walking. Later, when I tried to change my shooting mode, I realized the command dial was no longer there...So called Made in Japan command dial fell off and though I retraced my steps, I couldn't find it.

Today, I finally brought it down to CSC. Even though my camera was out of warrantly, I was thinking it will be a cheap repair since it's only a plastic or rubber dial.. I was even dreaming that CSC will just stick a new one on and I'll be on my way in no time..

To my horrow, CSC wanted to charge me $180 excluding GST. I asked them to look again and they reverted that they have to change the whole top panel! what the !!! it's a rubber dial...It fell off ...I can still see some of the dried up glue on the top of the uncovered switch....$180 for that! Because they don't have a simple command dial replacement. Fed-up I stormed out of CSC..

Is this how good Canon's quality is supposed to be? A dial can fall off? And I am supposed to pay 200 bucks for repair?

I don't have a camera now, else I will post a pic.

Anybody here can recommend other repair shops?

Thanks.

A pissed-off Canon customer. ( I have nothing against the picture taking quality of the camera, but man, 180 bucks for a dial, sheesh)

I have been a long time member of cs..benefited a lot from all the info here but i never contributed any threads before.

I have a almost 3 year old 450d...when i first ventured into the DSLR world, I just wanted to buy a Nikon or a Canon as these were the 2 top brands.
I was deciding between a D60 and a 450d when the sales guy told me, "Bro. Canon made in Japan..Nikon made in Thailand. Buy the 450d lah". It was a no-brainer I thought.. Made in Japan vs Made in Thailand. Of cos Canon....

Last week while shooting, I noticed the command dial was a bit wobbly..I pressed it down and it snapped right back...thinking it was just loose, I continued shooting while slinging my camera around my shoulder while walking. Later, when I tried to change my shooting mode, I realized the command dial was no longer there...So called Made in Japan command dial fell off and though I retraced my steps, I couldn't find it.

Today, I finally brought it down to CSC. Even though my camera was out of warrantly, I was thinking it will be a cheap repair since it's only a plastic or rubber dial.. I was even dreaming that CSC will just stick a new one on and I'll be on my way in no time..

To my horrow, CSC wanted to charge me $180 excluding GST. I asked them to look again and they reverted that they have to change the whole top panel! what the !!! it's a rubber dial...It fell off ...I can still see some of the dried up glue on the top of the uncovered switch....$180 for that! Because they don't have a simple command dial replacement. Fed-up I stormed out of CSC..

Is this how good Canon's quality is supposed to be? A dial can fall off? And I am supposed to pay 200 bucks for repair?

Thanks.

A pissed-off Canon customer. ( I have nothing against the picture taking quality of the camera, but man, 180 bucks for a dial, sheesh)

sorry to hear that.. bt i think item that made in japan will be damage as well...

jus my 2c

Maybe made in Thailand the dial will fall off after 1 year and 1 day, just one day after the warranty expired :D

hammy said:

Thanks.

You can do a search for camera hospital.. look for Steven..

Here's the link..
http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~lns/

In anycase I don't think the issue of the dial falling out is due to whatever country it's made in... More like wear and tear after 3 years..

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the 450D/D3100 is not built at all like the 1D/D3 camera.

BTW, I am still using my trusty 450D to this date... and I've got a 60D to accompany it. :)

Last edited:
tumblr_lk9mmh3fOk1qg14pco1_400.jpg

That looks like a dial improvised from a cork?

So what if it's made in japan? No matter man-made or machine-made there is always a chance that it might fail. It's just that there is a lower possibility but the possibility is still there.

You are just suay to get a bad copy or you probably never take good care of your equipment.

Just my 2c. Afterall the 450d is quite an old model so i'm not surprise it will spoil in time.

It's a rip off...$200??

If you think is too expensive to repair get a new one. A cam more than 3yrs is about time to upgrade la...;)

Sorry to hear that bro. But I think this is a Heng/Suay problem lah. I still have my trusty 400D in my dry cabinet which got no problem until now. Which is already 6 years old.

Camera like any other equipment will fail over time, just a matter of time.

If spending $200 for a button is not what you want, you can consider getting a 2nd hand models at abt $600-$800 (500D or 550D) or 50D? or even upgrading to advance models (e.g. 60D, 7D) if you think "it's also about time".

I think TS is not so much about dwelling on why made in japan quality sucks or wat.

As many has mentioned, if a product fails, it will still fail, no matter where its made or made by who.

A very good example is i have no single issues with made in thailand camry compared to my previous japan made civic and mazda6.

Coming back, i think TS is pissed off by the huge premium canon is trying to charge a loyal 3 yrs customer for renewing just a stupid falloff command dial. I think the cost of this small plastic plus labour and whatever top plate they mentioned probably cost less than $20 to make.

Well, canon also tried to charge a premium trying to lure existing customers to change their command dial to the lockable 60D one as well right?

Good try, but its just to show how canon treats their loyal customer.

Meaning to say, after warranty expires, you are really on your own. Their message to us is to Either pay a premium to change a cheap parts or change your bloody camera.

Honesty i think its still a very young camera for a 3yr old. Isnt them supppsed to last a long time as compared to pns? Do we really need to change camera every year?

Of course the other side of the story is how well the camera was maintained and used.

Last edited:
It costs $200 because the replacement is also Made in Japan. If it is Made in Thailand, probably just $20 :)

Afterall the 450d is quite an old model so i'm not surprise it will spoil in time.

I have 20D which outlast my 40D
I also has Minolta 600si, a film camera that I use over 8 years, and still in good shape (anyway I just consume use 2-3 rolls films a year)

I'm more surprised if 'only' 3 years old camera is spoil

I have 20D which outlast my 40D
I also has Minolta 600si, a film camera that I use over 8 years, and still in good shape (anyway I just consume use 2-3 rolls films a year)

I'm more surprised if 'only' 3 years old camera is spoil

If i were to take a 600d and anyhow throw it around do you think it can last for 3years? =)
There is a lot of factors on how long the camera can last and to be honest in sg i mostly see 2 types of ways on how they handle their camera.

1. "ZOMG my camera is god i can't let it touch anything or anywhere as it's very fragile and it might spoil once it touches this or that!"

2. "I shall just swing my camera around and knocking everyone who is walking around me! Oh there's a wall. It's ok it should be no different from a human!"

IF ts is in category 2 i wouldn't be surprise. If ts is in category 1 than yes, i would be surprise but still you must understand that there is always a "bad apple" so ts might be suay to get that "bad apple". There is no certainty as to how long electronics can last.

"made in Japan" doesnt mean indestructible...:nono:

and 3years is quite reasonable for some parts to fail, or it could be just an isolated case. some will fail for just under a year & some will fail after several years...

btw, even if its made in thailand, their equipments for assembling the camera are made in Japan...

**kai's 400D & D70 are still working after a lot of beating**;)

"made in Japan" doesnt mean indestructible...:nono:

and 3years is quite reasonable for some parts to fail, or it could be just an isolated case. some will fail for just under a year & some will fail after several years...

btw, even if its made in thailand, their equipments for assembling the camera are made in Japan...

**kai's 400D & D70 are still working after a lot of beating**;)

I have no idea how that canon survived Kai's ridiculous abuse hahaha

I also see many japanese car and european car breaks down on the road....... just wondering why TS have the idea that japanese products will not fail? Their power plant in Japan failed big time this time round!