Canon lens for night shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkcoo

Jul 14, 2006
Hi all,

May I know which lens for canon camera is able to take sharp and clear night shot
for scenary as well as people?

Thanks you & regards

Any camera from the 1D seires would be fine then :)

You might wanna specify a budget and what type of sysyem you want (DSLR,comapct...)

Any lens with a tripod if the subject does not move (or if you want the subject to move and streak). Or any IS lens without tripod if the subject is not too dark.

Any fast (large aperture) lens using ISO 400 or 800 if you want to freeze any moving subjects as long but the shutter speed is short/fast. e.g. 50 1.8, 35 2.0, 85 1.8, 24 2.8

There is no one solution - just many possibilities depending on your budget

I am using canon 350D.

raptor84 said:
Any camera from the 1D seires would be fine then :)

You might wanna specify a budget and what type of sysyem you want (DSLR,comapct...)

Fllwing catchlights advice would be good enough. If you are going thr tripod way you can try a prime lens with a fast max apperature if not you might be forced to use IS with a higher ISO.

Hi Pkcoo,

A specific lens for consideration would be the EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS. It's a terrific night-shooting lens in my opinion with the large (& constant) aperture and IS. Coupled with Canon's excellent hi-ISO performance, it just gets even better! :)

If you are taking landscape or scenary at night, need either:
1) a lens with IS; or
2) even better, mount your camera with your present lens on a tripod, stop down.

If you are taking pics of people with night scene behind, you need a tripod and good external flash more than IS.

Kaldorei said:
Hi Pkcoo,

A specific lens for consideration would be the EF-S 17-55 F/2.8 IS. It's a terrific night-shooting lens in my opinion with the large (& constant) aperture and IS. Coupled with Canon's excellent hi-ISO performance, it just gets even better! :)

Yeah, another voice here for the 17-55mm F2.8 IS. Sharp... and comes with IS slow shutter speed for night shots. :thumbsup:

Errr... pai seh lah.. my pics not really worth to show so many times.. Just post the link here hopefully can give Pkcoo some ideas:

These r taken with a 17-85IS, need the help of IS as I am lazy to carry tripod:
http://www.pbase.com/kongo1/image/65049236
http://www.pbase.com/kongo1/image/65438024
http://www.pbase.com/kongo1/image/65438022

This one taken with 50f1.4, notice tt the DOF is more shallow:
http://www.pbase.com/kongo1/image/65437998

BTW, pkcoo, I am also using a 350D.

panzerpunk said:
I think he wants to take pics of statues and buildings! Kongo must show him your disneyland pics hehehe!

even with 135L F2.0 is difficult. I recommend 50 1.4, 50 1.2L and 85 1.2L, 35 1.4L. Otherwise even with 2.8 IS ISO400 above you will get motion blurr or low quality pictures because of high ISO. With F2.0 above you need tripod which is very inconvenient at night. I saw even professional photog need a tripod plus external lighting systems, professional Flash etc.

pkcoo said:
Hi all,

May I know which lens for canon camera is able to take sharp and clear night shot

Thanks you & regards

I think any lens can do. Currently I am using my own 17-40 f/4L and compare to my 28-135mm I would say this 17-40 is much more sharp (at F/8 and f/11). For sceneary and city light you might want to use smaller aperture (bigger F number) and long shutter speed.. do more experiment! ;) oh one more thing.. use lower iso no. let's say iso 100 for even more clearer pictures (not too much digital noise)
just my humble opinion... ;)

pkcoo said:
Hi all,

Thanks you & regards

I would recommend the 35 f1.4 or 50 (1.2, 1.4, 1.8) for taking people at night.
But with 1.6 crop camera it becomes a 56mm. Still it is one of the widest lens that is still quite sharp at f1.4 and very sharp at f2.
It is possible to take handheld shots of people at night without flash.
But with landscape, you should use tripod as landscape don't run around like people and you can use a 17-40 f4 or EFS 17-55 f2.8. Hope that helps. :)

An drew said:
I would recommend the 35 f1.4 or 50 (1.2, 1.4, 1.8) for taking people at night.
But with 1.6 crop camera it becomes a 56mm. Still it is one of the widest lens that is still quite sharp at f1.4 and very sharp at f2.
It is possible to take handheld shots of people at night without flash.
But with landscape, you should use tripod as landscape don't run around like people and you can use a 17-40 f4 or EFS 17-55 f2.8. Hope that helps. :)

First of all, what is your budget?
A 17-40L or 17-55 F2.8 IS would cost $1200 and $1900 respectively.
There are alternatives apart from OEM lenses. It all depends what is your threshold of quality in terms of features, build, focusing speed, f/stop... etc.

EF 50mm f1.2L USM :thumbsup:

pkcoo said:
Hi all,

Thanks you & regards

heh, i see the L brigade rears their head again...

frankly, i woudlnt bother investing so much $$ in lenses for night shots. invest a couple of hundred in a decent tripod, and there is no reason why ur 18-55mm lens kit lens cant take good sharp and clear night shots... as long as u stop it down to around F5 or F8. ive been very happy with my night shots from mine.

jdredd said:
heh, i see the L brigade rears their head again...

frankly, i woudlnt bother investing so much $$ in lenses for night shots. invest a couple of hundred in a decent tripod, and there is no reason why ur 18-55mm lens kit lens cant take good sharp and clear night shots... as long as u stop it down to around F5 or F8. ive been very happy with my night shots from mine.

Yes, I agree.
You don't need a extremely good lens for night shots.

As for F5 ~ F8 aperture, it would greatly enhance the sharpness of the kit lens. But bear in mind that you will need a longer exposure. If there are moving objects and motion trails are of concern to you, you would need a faster lens and of course ram your ISO setting to the highest (noisy).

Thanks for all the precious information.

Another query to ask.

I want to know how to shot the persons with the background of the night scenary is clear and sharp.

When I take night scenary is clear, the person would be blur, if I take the person clear, the back scenary would be blur. So how to set both the scenary and the person can be clear and sharp.

I am using canon 350d with the kit lens 18-55mm.

pkcoo said:
Thanks for all the precious information.

Another query to ask.

I want to know how to shot the persons with the background of the night scenary is clear and sharp.

When I take night scenary is clear, the person would be blur, if I take the person clear, the back scenary would be blur. So how to set both the scenary and the person can be clear and sharp.

I am using canon 350d with the kit lens 18-55mm.

It would be difficult to get both subject and background focused at night.
Light is limited and if you bring your aperture down to cover both, your shutter speed would be slower and most lightly your subject would be blurred due to motion blur.

Status
Not open for further replies.