Canon in HCM, Vietnam

dannygirl

Mar 29, 2009
hi canon bros, i discovered something weird n want to seek ur opinions before i decide on my next course of action. here's the story...

i'm in ho chi minh, vietnam now. dis afternoon i went to the local canon showroom and saw dat the G11 is selling at ~1500,000VND which is ard 1100SGD (i got mine at $760 in sg). the S90 is at ard 950SGD (was quoted $680 in sg).

both price tags made me conclude dat canon stuff here is more ex. but juz when i wanted to leave the showroom, i rembered dat i wanted to buy another original spare battery in sg but i din get it in sg because many shops din haf stock for original NB-7L. n so i asked the lady how much. was kinda shocked when she said dat it's 500,000VND which is slightly less than 40SGD. I rembered asking a few shops in sg including alan photo funan and simlim. they all quote btw 60-80sgd. i asked to see the batt to compare with my original G11 battery and both are exactly identical.

so how arh? can dis canon showroom be trusted? afterall, vietnam is part of the Golden Triangle of fakestuffs, together with china and Thailand.

hi canon bros, i discovered something weird n want to seek ur opinions before i decide on my next course of action. here's the story...

i'm in ho chi minh, vietnam now. dis afternoon i went to the local canon showroom and saw dat the G11 is selling at ~1500,000VND which is ard 1100SGD (i got mine at $760 in sg). the S90 is at ard 950SGD (was quoted $680 in sg).

both price tags made me conclude dat canon stuff here is more ex. but juz when i wanted to leave the showroom, i rembered dat i wanted to buy another original spare battery in sg but i din get it in sg because many shops din haf stock for original NB-7L. n so i asked the lady how much. was kinda shocked when she said dat it's 500,000VND which is slightly less than 40SGD. I rembered asking a few shops in sg including alan photo funan and simlim. they all quote btw 60-80sgd. i asked to see the batt to compare with my original G11 battery and both are exactly identical.

so how arh? can dis canon showroom be trusted? afterall, vietnam is part of the Golden Triangle of fakestuffs, together with china and Thailand.

just get it...is a small gamble...:bsmilie:

" what doesnt kill you makes you stronger" so why not?

or.... just dont question........recognize a good deal and buy ... $40 wont kill u.

Was the SG prices you quoted recommended retail or street price in singapore? Because the canon show room in HCM is probably quoting recommdend, so it may be higher than SG?

BTW, where is the show room? I'm in HCMC for a month, would be nice to go check it out :)

Hi,

here's what I understand of the taxation system in VN.

As a guide, any item that is classified as "Luxury" item will attract higher tax, thus DSLR, DigiCam etc will cost higher because of higher tax.

Batteries on the other hand is not classified as "Luxury" item, thus lower tax.

That may be the reason why it is cheaper compared to SG.

Like what others have mentioned, SGD40 can try lah.

just get it...is a small gamble...:bsmilie:

" what doesnt kill you makes you stronger" so why not?

or.... just dont question........recognize a good deal and buy ... $40 wont kill u.

Hi,

here's what I understand of the taxation system in VN.

As a guide, any item that is classified as "Luxury" item will attract higher tax, thus DSLR, DigiCam etc will cost higher because of higher tax.

Batteries on the other hand is not classified as "Luxury" item, thus lower tax.

That may be the reason why it is cheaper compared to SG.

Like what others have mentioned, SGD40 can try lah.

hi all, tks for the advice. i noe its a gamble lah. juz wana noe my odds dats all. :)

anyway, i juz got it and now charging it in my hotel rm. so far so good. tmrw juz nid to snap n snap alot n see how the long the battery lasts. if good, i'll get another one.

BTW, where is the show room? I'm in HCMC for a month, would be nice to go check it out :)

bro, there's nothing much here at the showroom compared to our local vivo showroom. but its located at the intersection btw bui vien (where i stay), tran hung dao and nguyen thai hoc. if u stay at the same hotel as me at bui vien road (called beautiful saigon), u walk towards ben thanh market n u'll see the huge canon neon signboard on the building. along the way u'll also see a few ulu camera shops.

Hi All,

beside these shops on Tran Hung Dao. I recommend you to another place that you will have more choice for your camera stuff is Tax super market at conner of Nguyen Hue and Le Loi. There are many camera shops in this area. I know one shop is KHANH LONG CAMERA at the ground floor (http://www.khanhlong.com) sorry this link isn't English website (35 Lê Lợi, Q.1, Tp.HCM, Vietnam). price in this shop is cheaper than Canon showroom (you have to bargain before decide to buy). I bought a new Canon 50D body with 935USD (1288 SGD) in this shop in last month.

Prices in Canon showroom is RRP dude. If I'm not wrong the 500D kit costs as much as 1500 SGD in Vietnam. But I'm pretty sure that everything from the Canon showroom (provided it IS a Canon showroom) is original, not counterfeited

Hi All,

beside these shops on Tran Hung Dao. I recommend you to another place that you will have more choice for your camera stuff is Tax super market at conner of Nguyen Hue and Le Loi. There are many camera shops in this area. I know one shop is KHANH LONG CAMERA at the ground floor (http://www.khanhlong.com) sorry this link isn't English website (35 Lê Lợi, Q.1, Tp.HCM, Vietnam). price in this shop is cheaper than Canon showroom (you have to bargain before decide to buy). I bought a new Canon 50D body with 935USD (1288 SGD) in this shop in last month.

yes yes... i tink i walked past this le loi area before. n this khanh long shop... sounds v familiar too. cant rember coz there were quite a few shops along the stretch from tran hung dao to ben thanh to opera house....

But I'm pretty sure that everything from the Canon showroom (provided it IS a Canon showroom) is original, not counterfeited

i also wan to believe dat fully.... but when i asked for the battery, the lady took it out from a paper bag. was kinda scared dat she wan earn extra by selling counterfeit at original prices.

Think you shld fly back to Singapore to get it and then fly back to HCM.

You need to understand the difference between 'list price' and actual selling price.

When I shop in china, even when i see the price tag, I will still ask "how much?". Price tags are for show in many countries. Singapore is the same way too, in many stores.

I believe most of camera stuffs which they sale in Canon showroom are import from Singapore. The importation company have to pay import tax for these Items because VietNamese government listed camera into luxury items and apply hight tax for it. They also add their profit on it. So, the price from those Canon showroom or importation company such as LE BAO MINH is might be higher than Singapore but they have 1 year official warranty for every items. As I know CANON service fee for camera checkup or cleaning sensor service offer by this company in VIETNAM is a lot cheaper than Singapore

Another price is street price. This price is alway cheaper than Canon showroom price,Why? You know, those outside camera shop buy camera from Vietnamese students or workers who study or working in oversea country such as US, EU,UK,Japan, etc and they bought 1 or 2 body, lens or kits and bring them back as a gifts. these camera have cheap price but it don't have official warranty also. In these case, those shops will have shop local warranty for items they sale.