Canon G11

roylimhl

Dec 13, 2007
Thinking of getting a G11, anyone has any reviews/comments on this compact?

I have the G11 and i love it. Using it more and more than my 50d.
Although i would hardly call it a compact.

Suitable for someone that:
1. probably already has a DSLR setup and
2. will want the G11 for the times that the DSLR would be inconvenient to bring along
3. yet unwilling to compromise on image quality

BTW, What type of pictures do you intend to take?

Thanks... I wonder how's the quality compared to DSLR. I will be using it more for casual outing picture taking. people...

I think if it's for casual photos, then the G11 is going to be a little bulky to bring to bring along. You may want to have a look at the S90 instead. Same sensor as G11 but in a point and shoot body. I think it even shoots in RAW and has one f-stop faster lens but less zoom than the G11.

Regarding the quality compared to DSLR:
I think even 1000d with kit lens has better IQ.

For casual outing:
As pean12 said, it might be too bulky to bring along.

However G11 is better in these ways:
1. Rotating LCD: Can take your own self portaits.
Allows you to place the camera against your chest to stabilize your shots.

2. Hotshoe: G11 and S90 tend to bump up ISO rather than use the flash as indicated in this thread:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=33415136
The ability to use an external flash will help to reduce blur.

3. Can use wireless/wired remote:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=33662229
This is quite useful for couples to take photos of themselves, esp with a tripod.

4. Increase your zoom with a teleconverter:
http://www.lensmateonline.com/store/g10.html

5. 1/4000 shutter speed: As opposed to S90 1/1600.
Will reduce motion blur.

For specs wise, G10 is much better than G11... what do you guys think?

For specs wise, G10 is much better than G11... what do you guys think?

Really? Just because the G11 is "only" 10 mp?
From the sample pictures I see of the G11, I must say i'm very impressed, especially in low-light situation. The image quality at high ISO (even 3200) is amazing. Even the LX3 cannot compare imo.

Haha... I just ask ask nia... anyway, cannot compare also cos both got +pts over the other on some of the specs...

Here is a picture of the Singapore Flyer taken with the G11 on tripod. Only cropping done.

IMG_0355.jpg

Anyone else care to share their G11 photos?

Anyone knows how much this costs?

I had a Canon G2 nine years ago for $1,300 that served me well... been using the ixus series since... Now wanna go back to a medium range digicam...

I had a Canon G2 nine years ago for $1,300 that served me well... been using the ixus series since... Now wanna go back to a medium range digicam...

You can get a brand new G11 in local retailers at around S$800. Check www.canon.com.sg for any bundled accessories.

Or you can just go to a shop and ask.

If you still have your G2, & it is already RIP.. then can goto Canon Service Centre & get the G11 for $714.

;)

I am a owner of a G10,.
In my opinion, G10 & G11 sits between the DSLR and a compact.
It does produce fantastic picture in low ISO setting and in bright condition. But use in high ISO setting (especially in night seen, the camera has its limitation due to its small sensor size)
That said I am pretty satisfied with it and deputise well when I do not wish to carry a DSLR with me.

Just a sample photo for reference..

set-72157622562771361

Just got my G11 a few days ago. Took some photos and found its image quality to be acceptable.

Having used a dslr for years, the compact size of G11 is definitely easier to carry around everywhere, especially for travel.

For us who use the optical viewfinder to compose the shot, just be aware that you can see a little of the lens barrel at the bottom edge at wide angle setting. Something to get use to.
:)

Motion blur on the wheel... he is using 8 sec exposure....