Canon EOS R5

Very likely all Canon flash lights will work on R5 or R6. Be careful with third party systems, though. They might need updates to work with ETTL. Fully manual will always work.

Reactions: Ah Keong

I listened to the 28-70 f/2 autofocus noise in this review (with EOS R) ... hope the R5 has located the mic differently and the sound is not so obvious. otherwise its probably a deal breaker for me (I'll would prefer to have 3 silent primes rather than a supernoisy 28-70)

i was looking at switching from canon because of lack of IBIS to the a9ii but the R5 looks great and the 28-70 f/2 can replace 3 of my EF mount primes.

Also, can i reuse my old 580ex II flash?

Should be ok, I tested the 430 EX-RT and the 600, using manual, ETTL and RT with the RP. All looks good.

My friend bought a R5 and was looking to buy CF Express memory card.
He (for whatever reasons) insisted on Sandisk. And wanted to buy the 128MB capacity card.
This card can theoretically do a 1700MB/s read.

There are 3 types of CF Express cards. Type A, B and C. With different dimensions.
Don't buy the wrong type.
Got Version 1.0 and Version 2.0.

For Canon R5, Type B is suitable.

It pays to shop around.

There are significant price differences for CF Express cards at the various shops in town.

At one shop, the representative insisted on a price of SGD$429. Strictly no discount.

My friend's polite request for a slight discount was turned down rudely and I felt so bad for him, to be treated this way.

At another shop one day later, my friend bought the exact same thing for SGD$339.
Without needing to bargain.

A difference of $90.
Or 90/339 = 26.5% of the price.

The second shop is even bigger than the first shop.
Meaning the 2nd shop is a reputable shop and the card is the real thing.

Why is this happening?
This is the classic economics concept of imperfect competition.
That is - [ Buyers who may not have complete information about products and prices ]

The shops that charge more know this is a very new genre of product. (CF Express).
Not many shops have it.
Not many users know about it technically and even less know what should be a reasonable market price for it.

If the buyer is an ignorant but rich Ah Beng who lacks the patience to shop around, then he is going to be charged more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ah Keong
That is still SGD70 more expensive than ProGrade type B CFexpress 128GB (gold) or Delkin sold on Amazon.sg.

So far, no 128GB CFexpress card from Sandisk is 8K RAW supported according to Canon official.

Last edited:
I have also enquired about the Wise brand CF Express which is cheaper.
But if my friend feels he must buy Sandisk CF Express for whatever reasons, that is his choice.
The guy is rich. It is his money to buy what he likes.

He told me that actually he was prepared to pay $390 at the first shop, if only they had been willing to give a small discount and had been as polite to him as he had been to them.

But no, the reply by the shop representative was shockingly rude and said in a loud voice so all in the shop (other customers and all the other staff) can hear.

They are purposely rude to him, so that he will feel embarrassed and will spend a lot $$$ to buy things from the shop to .... BUY RESPECT.

By the way, the biggest culprits of this nefarious tactic to make customers spend money are the night clubs/KTV bars. But that is another industry.

Last edited: