Canon EOS 7D Kit I or 650 D

Niboo

Nov 27, 2012
Singapore
Hi,
Suggestion needed, I want to buy above, any suggestion what would I get extra in 7D? As the model is older, the processor is DIGIC 4 as compared to DIGIC 5 in 650D
Yes 7D is more rugged or so I have read
I am not a pro in photography so simple explanation would be helpful.
Also any place in SG where I can find best price, by far I have found audiohouse providing the best price for brand new 7D, any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

You mainly get more control physically, faster FPS (8 vs 5.3), a better weather resistant body, a top LCD screen and more AF points (19 vs 9) with grid in the 7D.

With the 650D, you get a lighter, smaller body, swivel screen, touchscreen and digic 5. You can even buy a nice prime from your leftover budget from not buying the 7D.

7D is more catered to sports and wildlife photographers while the 650D is catered more to your average joe photographer who wants a decent, small DSLR without breaking the bank yet.

It's really up to you to decide. You can buy the 7D if you want to...

Does Digic 4 vs 5 matter? Not that much that'll you'll notice.

Check the forum's canon price guides for places and price list.

Oh, and welcome to Clubsnap! :)

Last edited:
Hi,
Suggestion needed, I want to buy above, any suggestion what would I get extra in 7D? As the model is older, the processor is DIGIC 4 as compared to DIGIC 5 in 650D
Also any place in SG where I can find best price, by far I have found audiohouse providing the best price for brand new 7D, any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Just curious....

What is your budget?

What are you shooting and reason for buying a DSLR....

Thanks all for the prompt replies

I have been using Sony dslr till now and recently got my hands on some canon dslr photographs from colleague, their quality was far better. Got intrigued, and thought of buying canon dslr.
My main photographs are home and family but always love a good picture
No fixed budget, anywhere between 1.5 to 2k

The price difference between 7d and 650d body is substantial, whereas mp wise same, so wanted to have more clarity. What would I lose if I decide to go with latter and gain vice versa
Canon site comparison were more technical in nature.

Thanks all for the prompt replies

I have been using Sony dslr till now and recently got my hands on some canon dslr photographs from colleague, their quality was far better. Got intrigued, and thought of buying canon dslr.
My main photographs are home and family but always love a good picture
No fixed budget, anywhere between 1.5 to 2k

The price difference between 7d and 650d body is substantial, whereas mp wise same, so wanted to have more clarity. What would I lose if I decide to go with latter and gain vice versa
Canon site comparison were more technical in nature.

HMMMMMM.

what sony dslr are u using. maybe they just have better skills than u.

Alpha A300

Skill wise pretty sure no as we were parallel snapping...both on auto modes

If you are bent on getting a 7D, I would probably suggest getting 2nd hand. Rumours have the 7D Mk II coming out in first quarter 2013.

The 650D is by far the newer of the two. It is more of an entry level camera compared to the 7D which is more professional. I've owed both types... many years ago my first DSLR was a 400D (a greatgrandfather to the 650D) and until recently I've owned a 7D. Of the two, I much preferred the 7D because of its size, build, AF, top LCD, etc. But it is a matter of opinion.

I would suggest that you go to the Canon Showroom at VIVO and try them both. It will be a great opportunity for you to see which feels better in your hands. IQ wise, they are about the same. So it really boils down to a preference.

Alpha A300

auto mode is mostly the exposure side

you do know that, if you shoot jpegs, theres many picture styles to choose from which can affect contrast, saturation etc...have u tried tinkering with the settings in your dslr?

and lastly they may not have better skills than you, but they could potentially have a better eye for composition than you, thus explaining the difference

Niboo said:
Alpha A300

then maybe u should explore your camera better instead of switching camp. results will probably be the same. :)

1. If you intend to only use the Auto mode, i must say that you may have to manage your expectations - it is unlikely that you will gain much more over your Sony Alpha 300.

2. If you cannot understand the technical information provided at the Canon website, then you are better off getting the cheaper Canon 650D. I think it is unlikely that you would know how to utilize the features that are unique to the Canon 7D, especially if you intend to solely rely on the Auto mode.

As a hobbyist, I would recommend you 650D or 60D... and since you sticking to shooting auto mode, I find it no incentive to recommend you the 7D.... and mostly for family use... if you intent to switch camp...

1. Weight of the 7D is an issue.
2. AF of 650D & 60D is good, and you do not need the 7D AF if you are shooting family only. Just check out the grip if it is ok for you as some bro have wider hands, and 650D grip is too shallow.
3. The saving from buying a 650D can go into getting a better lens.

4. Read more books on composition, and you will improve.... "Eye of the photographer" can be bought from Funan's Riceball @ level 1.

Thanks all for help and insight...pretty much cleared my mind

Hi,
Thanks in advance

U may consider getting the 7D body, and get a better L glass such as EF 17-40mm or EF 24-70 L II USM

Alpha A300

Mind if I ask if you know what the other modes are for? Ultimately you have to ask yourself if you have fully understand your A300 or even basic photography techniques.

Buying a 7D and continue shooting in full auto won't help you improve your photography.

wow its good thread!
cute.jpg

fun.jpg