Canon EOS 750D / 760D

A DSLR for the power Facebook user perhaps with the ease of wifi transfer capability. This should be good for those who on holiday and want to post photos taken by their DSLR on Facebook or other social media via their smartphone immediately.

Hmm, so what's the point of the 70D line now? Seems like the xxxD line has top LCD, 2 command dials, and 19 point AF system. 70D only has what, slightly better build quality?

Hmm, so what's the point of the 70D line now? Seems like the xxxD line has top LCD, 2 command dials, and 19 point AF system. 70D only has what, slightly better build quality?

Hmmm...:think: good question. I guess we'll find out with the next iteration of the xxD line... the 80D... or maybe that line no longer exists? :dunno:

canon just found out they have been short changing canon user on 700 n 70 series spec when compared to nikon 5200 n 7100 series so now giving a little more to level off the competitor offer.

What is the difference between the 750D and 760D? Why did Canon introduce two new cameras in the same line?

well, according to DPReview:

EOS 760D / 750D key features

24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor
19-point autofocus system
Hybrid CMOS AF III focus system (live view)
7560 pixel RGB + IR metering sensor with skin tone detection
3" fully articulating touchscreen LCD
Eye sensor for use with optical viewfinder [760D only]
LCD information display on top plate [760D only]
Quick control dial on rear [760D only]
5 fps continuous shooting
1080/30p video
Servo AF in live view [760D only]
Wi-Fi with NFC

Other differences include :

760D has a High Dynamic Range (HDR) movie mode, digital zoom during video capture, and an electronic level that you can see through the viewfinder

Yah, I had been thinking of upgrading to a 70D, but now with this new 760D, I may have to re-consider again.

Really excited for the 760D, it finally combines most of the features and ergonomics of higher-end DSLRs into a compact body. The top LCD, secondary scroll wheel and 19 point all cross type AF really seals the deal for me. Finally I can have all these features in a body that I can stuff inside my normal bag with a pancake lens on, something that i'm doing regularly with my 500D.

Canon might make the XXD line into semi-pro line with some degree of weather sealing and stuff like that. Plus maybe more AF points, faster framerate and the such, with the 7D line will become the pro-level APS-C camera for professionals (sports, wildlife, etc) who want lighter bodies and the crop factor of the APS-C camera rather than the chunky 1D line of camera.

So if you ask me, there are heaps of reasons for the XXD line of DSLR. It is basically like asking, since the EOS-M series of camera had almost all the feature of a DSLR, why do you still want a XXXD range of DSLR.

Canon might make the XXD line into semi-pro line with some degree of weather sealing and stuff like that. Plus maybe more AF points, faster framerate and the such, with the 7D line will become the pro-level APS-C camera for professionals (sports, wildlife, etc) who want lighter bodies and the crop factor of the APS-C camera rather than the chunky 1D line of camera.

So if you ask me, there are heaps of reasons for the XXD line of DSLR. It is basically like asking, since the EOS-M series of camera had almost all the feature of a DSLR, why do you still want a XXXD range of DSLR.
Yeah maybe, but Canon hasn't given us good reasons for the XXD line yet. Currently, if you ask me, there is no reason to go for 70D over 760D (750D? whichever has that top LCD and 2 command dials). The 70D offers nothing but slightly better plastic and a bit larger grip?

Anyway, EOS M is not a good example here because it doesn't have a lot of lenses and you will kill your hands if you mount your EF and EF-S lenses on it (except maybe the pancakes)

Also I'm not sure if Canon is still innovating; all their new features are just taken from Magic Lantern firmware. First it's the intervalometer in the 7D2, then the bulb timer in the 5DS/5DSR, and now focus peaking in the EOS M3. These are all features that can work on all their camera bodies, but they just want to make them "premium" features, so you have to spend hundreds more dollars to get them.

Last edited:
Wow, nice. I would consider this or the next 70D with wifi. On 700D currently. Since I only use primes, the more I should consider getting another body.

Yeah maybe, but Canon hasn't given us good reasons for the XXD line yet. Currently, if you ask me, there is no reason to go for 70D over 760D (750D? whichever has that top LCD and 2 command dials). The 70D offers nothing but slightly better plastic and a bit larger grip?

Anyway, EOS M is not a good example here because it doesn't have a lot of lenses and you will kill your hands if you mount your EF and EF-S lenses on it (except maybe the pancakes)

Also I'm not sure if Canon is still innovating; all their new features are just taken from Magic Lantern firmware. First it's the intervalometer in the 7D2, then the bulb timer in the 5DS/5DSR, and now focus peaking in the EOS M3. These are all features that can work on all their camera bodies, but they just want to make them "premium" features, so you have to spend hundreds more dollars to get them.

My friend. 70D came out in 2013 around 2 years now (it is 2015 now). 760D haven't been release yet, it is announced. So if it make it in March or slightly later, it makes lots of sense to get the 760D and forgo the 70D, other than that, what you say is kind of funny. Comparing an old camera to a newer one and ask what is the point for a old camera... of course it had good point, it is revenue for 2 years for Canon.

760D is not a replacement for 70D, because it is targeted at entry level user, while 70D is targeted at semi-professional. And while 70D seemed outdated now, of course Canon is gonna release a newer model to replace the 70D. And that is why we are seeing different product line.

Okay, I admit EOS M is not a good example. As for Canon is innovating or not, I do not understand what you mean by this. They give you intervalometer, bulb timer and focus peaking, right? Or are you saying they don't. And if they are giving you those, then they are listening to the consumer, who wanted those. So how come you complain?

Oh... and I would really, really suggest you go through the spec of both camera before doing a comparison.

A few things that matter to some people,

1) 70D had a maximum 1/8000 sec, 760D had a maximum speed of 1/4000s
2) 70D had a maximum of 7fps continuous shots, 760D had 5fps
3) 70D had a faster flash sync speed of 1/250sec while 760D had a maximum sync speed of 1/200sec
4) 70D had a significantly larger viewfinder of 98% while 760D is smaller at 95%
5) 70D had a battery life (CIPA) of 920 shots while 760D is around half of that (440shots)
6) 70D had better weather sealing.

So... it might not matters alot to you, but to many others out there, yeah, these are show stoppers when getting a DSLR.

From what I see, 760D is a good entry level DSLR, it had all the things that are supposed to be there and alot of other extra, it is light and easy to carry around and it had all the bell and whistle of something new in the market. But it is still targeted at an entry level group of consumer, sure you can take fabulous photos with it, but can it directly replace 70D. Sadly... no.

Last edited:
Agree with Rhino123.

Not fair to really compare 70D with the 750D/760D. 70D was released 2 years ago or sort. If you want to compare, compare with 80D. And there's nothing wrong with 750D/760D having some cool features taken from 70D or copying from Magic Lantern (or perhaps from other brands). 80D features will perhaps overlaps 7D mk2 in some ways, as well as 6DMk2 will overlaps 7Dmk1 or 5Dmk3 in some ways, etc. That's the cycle of technology.

My example; 60D has same sensor like (550D?) 600D, but I chose 60D for more direct control (more buttons) and bigger battery capacity. Legend also said that it's actually weather sealed to certain extent, but Canon never made it public so it didn't steal 7D market share.

I will choose X0 series over X00 series anytime. For example, 70D over 760D because of ISO settings.

With options between 400 and 800 ISO only for X00D series, it can lead to under or over expose of image/video. However for X0D series, there is 640 ISO available which might be just right exposure.

Okay, I admit EOS M is not a good example. As for Canon is innovating or not, I do not understand what you mean by this. They give you intervalometer, bulb timer and focus peaking, right? Or are you saying they don't. And if they are giving you those, then they are listening to the consumer, who wanted those. So how come you complain?
That's one way of looking at it. Another is that they removed it from the lower end bodies. All these functions can be implemented in all of Canon's DSLRs and EOS M bodies. Magic Lantern has already done that a long time ago. I just find it annoying that people have to reverse engineer basic functions.

As for the functions you mentioned
-Max shutter speed limitations can be circumvented using ND filters (inconvenient, but possible)
-Higher frame rate with little improvement in AF customization is not as good as it sounds. 70D still cannot be a full sports camera because you cannot customize the AF like you can with the 7D
-Flash sync speed is another example crippling the lower end body, not so much adding new features on the higher end body
-98% is still below 100%, and frankly speaking, if you're not at 100% coverage, it doesn't matter whether you have 95% or 98%
-Battery life can be improved with battery grip, or just bring spare battery
-I agree with the slightly better weather sealing, but weather sealing depends on your lens as well

The way I see it...
If you want a sports camera: 7d mk ii
If you want something not that high-end but almost as good: 70d
If anything else: anything goes I guess... Rebels, or the 760etc.

Seriously, I'm still confused about the new line they spawned off.. Not sure what are they trying to do... Creating a camera for each segment of the market?

Almost choked 1-2weeks ago in FB when they rumored 760d, damn it's sitting right next to 70d which is still a very good camera, now it really seems like canon like to overlap the capabilities of XXXD to XXD, and XXD to XD, same feeling I got when they released 70D, back than 70D sits on top of the 7D Classic,
I'm guessing it's another direction from canon to stay competitive, wish they had such cool entry level back than, well if they keep pushing up entry levels, we can sure expect a lot more on the coming 80D or 7D mklll(another 5years?)

Isn't it good that Canon has trickled down technology or features from an older XXD to their latest XXXD? I don't see the need to complain much that the old XXD had been overtaken by a new XXXD. That can only mean the next XXD will be much better. :) Or in another word, Canon is trying hard to make money from you again by enticing you to upgrade to their latest.

Personally I feel that the 760D has most of the features that I would like to have as a casual shooter, but the better build and ergonomic of the XXD series still attracts me more. So if I would want to upgrade, the 70D would hold the higher attraction for me. Holding the tiny grip of the XXXD series body for long period is really a sore experience for my hands....