Canon EOS 60Da

tonyep

Mar 22, 2012
20120403_hiRes_eos60da_frontScreen.jpg

EOS 60Da Digital SLR Camera, a long-awaited successor to the EOS 20Da that is optimized for astrophotography. This DSLR caters to astronomers and hobbyists who enjoy capturing the beauty of the night sky by offering a modified infrared filter and a low-noise sensor with heightened hydrogen-alpha sensitivity. These modifications allow the camera to capture magnificent photographs of “red hydrogen emission” nebulae and other cosmic phenomena.

The Canon EOS 60Da camera packs a powerful 18-megapixel CMOS sensor (APS-C) that produces sharp and high-contrast images of astronomical objects, a major enhancement over the EOS 20Da model’s 8.2-megapixel sensor. The improved infrared-blocking filter is a modification suited specifically toward astronomy enthusiasts to achieve a hydrogen-alpha light sensitivity that is approximately three times higher than that of a normal Canon DSLR camera. This produces a 20-percent higher transmittance of Hydrogen Alpha line, or Hα wavelength, allowing astronomers to capture crisp, clear images of reddish, diffuse nebulae.

As a specialized product, the EOS 60Da is only available to order from select authorized dealers. The estimated retail price is $1,499.00 and it is expected to be available this month.

Just for knowledge purposes, how well does this particular camera setup work with Light Pollution filters for astrophotography? Do they 1) work in hand to get better images or; 2) redundant or; 3) it actually worsens your images? I suspect its (1) but appreciates if anybody could shed some light on this.
:)

*and no, I don't think Google works well with particular questions like these.*

What exactly is the "hydrogen-Alpha" spectrum ? A specific area of the red light spectrum ??

If so, wouldn't it make this camera a good candidate for underwater photography since the red spectrum is kinda weak in water and this one has specific greater sensitivity ??? :think:

The characteristic wavelength given off when Hydrogen transits from quantum state n=3 to n=2.

Probably the rare few astrophotography buffs could probably tell us more..

I don't know much about astrophotography. Just same basic info....

Hydrogen alpha (Ha) is one of the beautiful color range in astrophotography . With a frequency of 656.28 nm , it is usually blocked by internal cut-off filter (ICF)in typical digital camera. Those into astrophotography would get their typical digital camera ICF replaced with filter with a wider frequency range

Some sample images comparing the 60D and 60Da

Canon EOS60Da Sample Images

Think the improved Hydrogen alpha sensitivity is quite apparent when you view the images side by side.

personally i wont buy this for astrophotography,would rather buy a 2nd hand and modify...this is simply without red filter that is inside the camera.
and they did nothing to control the hot pixel.