Canon EOS 5DS and 5DSR

ricleo

Mar 13, 2004
Eastern Singapore
Canon EOS 5DS and 5DSR to be announced soon.

looks like they are taking the Sony approach in having the "R" for the model without AA filter...

http://photorumors.com/2015/01/30/t...-eos-5ds-r-full-frame-dslr-camera/#more-66532

Canon-EOS-5DS-camera.jpg

50.6MP full frame CMOS sensor
There will be also a EOS 5DS R version that will be without low-pass filter
Magnesium alloy body, dust and water sealed
Dual processor DIGIC6
Regular sensitivity: ISO 100-6400
Continuous shooting 5 frames / sec.
High precision 61 AF points
EOS iTR AF
150,000 pixel RGB + IR photometry sensor
New "fine detail" picture style
1.3x and 1.6x crop modes
Customizable "Quick Control Screen"
Time-lapse movie
Interval Timer
Bulb timer
The official announcement will be next week
Via Digicame-info

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2015/01/30/t...s-5ds-r-full-frame-dslr-camera/#ixzz3QHpLqC6W

And then they will cut down the max shutter speed to only 1/4000. Those who want 1/8000 must wait for 5Ds mark II :bsmilie:

Edit: it's not fair comparing FF vs medium format, but for sure this gives another option for those digital medium format shooters.

Last edited:
Looking at Canon past 'history', really makes me wonder which vital organs they removed to make it possible.

Looking at Canon past 'history', really makes me wonder which vital organs they removed to make it possible.

Actually I thought apart from the 50MP sensor, none of the other rumoured specifications are groundbreaking or new. They just need a faster chipset (DIGIC 6) or more RAM to sustain the writing of 50MP files to the memory cards. If the 7D2 could do 20MP at 10FPS, i think it is within reason to have 50MP at 5FPS. just not too sure how long the buffer will last kekeke

1.3 crop and 1.6 crop is nice to have with this high resolution sensor. just a software tweak, already available in the nikon bodies and the sony a7 series

Last edited:
interesting with the 1.3x and 1.6x crop mode.
wonder what MP will it be respectively.

Actually I thought apart from the 50MP sensor, none of the other rumoured specifications are groundbreaking or new. They just need a faster chipset (DIGIC 6) or more RAM to sustain the writing of 50MP files to the memory cards. If the 7D2 could do 20MP at 10FPS, i think it is within reason to have 50MP at 5FPS. just not too sure how long the buffer will last kekeke

1.3 crop and 1.6 crop is nice to have with this high resolution sensor. just a software tweak, already available in the nikon bodies and the sony a7 series

other than the 50MP,I heard that it could be a Sony sensor that's why an "S".
and the crop mode is something new too.

True to that... But ever since I'm on the Canon boat not too long back, what I saw was re-using 'old' or not-so-new technology in newer bodies, throw abit of looks-interesting feature then chop an arm off.

I hope this won't be the case.

That said, I'm still pretty pleased with the existing 5D line other than a few minor things like (e.g. missing metering tied to AF point etc)

Last edited:
True to that... But ever since I'm on the Canon boat not too long back, what I saw was re-using 'old' or not-so-new technology in newer bodies, throw abit of looks-interesting feature then chop an arm off.

I hope this won't be the case.

That said, I'm still pretty pleased with the existing 5D line other than a few minor things like (e.g. metering tied to AF point etc)

Metering linked to AF point if u don't want can be disabled for 1Dx and 1D4 and I guess 5D3 can be done too.

Metering linked to AF point if u don't want can be disabled for 1Dx and 1D4 and I guess 5D3 can be done too.

Can't comment for 1D series which I didn't use before, but in 5D3, I wanted the metering on AF point....which sadly it doesn't have.

Can't comment for 1D series which I didn't use before, but in 5D3, I wanted the metering on AF point....which sadly it doesn't have.

I see...I misunderstood u and thought u didn't like that feature.

Yay! I'm ready to anticipate the freefall price of used 5D3! :D

If the 5Ds is priced similarly then yes, 5Dmk3 price would most likely drop.

But I highly doubt that..

iso limit seems low at 6400

iso limit seems low at 6400

For a 50MP sensor, ISO6,400 is not too shabby to be honest. The A7s that is marketed with a max ISO of 409,600 is only 12MP. I think we can take reference from the high ISO noise performance of the current 24MP sensors in the a6000.

other than the 50MP,I heard that it could be a Sony sensor that's why an "S".
and the crop mode is something new too.

Can I say that the 'S' is probably used the same way as in the 1DS? Wiki (not the most reliable sources admittedly) says the 1D was originally released in 2001 with 4MP while 1DS was released in 2002 with 11MP.

Can I say that the 'S' is probably used the same way as in the 1DS? Wiki (not the most reliable sources admittedly) says the 1D was originally released in 2001 with 4MP while 1DS was released in 2002 with 11MP.

The "S" on the 1D Iam not sure what it means but I do know that the "S" are FF and non "S" are 1.3x crop factor. I don't think the "S" on the 5D means the same as the previous 1D.

The "S" on the 1D Iam not sure what it means but I do know that the "S" are FF and non "S" are 1.3x crop factor. I don't think the "S" on the 5D means the same as the previous 1D.

Okay :)

No dual pixel AF? So it seems for the moment Canon did get their sensor from Sony for the 5Ds/5DsR.
The follow up 5D4 will meanwhile most likely incorporate DP AF and continue to be using Canon in-house sensor pushing ever higher ISOs.
Maybe, just maybe, we'll also be seeing the 6D2 in another 6 to 9 months later.