Canon EOS 5D MK2 Vs Nikon D700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colour, Contrast, sharpness. Not really looking to print big.
My Turkey trip is coming. I will count on my G10 to take good pictures. How far can a compact prosumer camera go ?

Those factors are not just related to camera body. What lens you use also plays a big part.

Most cameras these days are good if operated properly. ;)

But the body is just a one time deal.
Just like to know is Canon & Nikon len interchangeable ?

Nikon can be used on Canon, not the other way around. But you need adapters and you will lose all electronic communication. Which means: manual aperture settings, manual focusing. And all the fancy AF points are downgrade to some indicators in the viewfinder.
Read up more and maybe start with a lower end camera system to make yourself familiar before you fork out the big money for the FF systems.

Those factors are not just related to camera body. What lens you use also plays a big part.

I had been reading quite a lot here.

I read some people mention that this camera is good for wild animal & sport & this camera is good on landscape & portrait. Example is the 7D & 5D MK2.

I thought the len is the one that should determine what u wanted to shot & the body is the same. Maybe a FF camera IQ is definitely better with the skill of the user.

Nah, you can't say this. It really needs the high end models to get stunning pictures. Isn't this what the marketing departments and sales men all say ... ;)

But the body is just a one time deal.

Just like to know is Canon & Nikon len interchangeable ?

Need an adapter, might lost the Auto Focus capability, thus all manual. Not sure if hv any adapter with electronic chips that can enable AF.

Plan ahead for the lens u need. Some lens many not compatible to Full Frame camera. Unless you buy Nikon D700 which accept DX and FX lens.

Need an adapter, might lost the Auto Focus capability, thus all manual. Not sure if hv any adapter with electronic chips that can enable AF.

There are adapters with chips, but they only indicate the presence of a lens to the camera so that AF sensors get enabled. The fast AF system becomes a bunch of indicators in the viewfinder. Also, it needs lenses with dedicated aperture ring. Nikon G lenses don't have this, so no manual aperture settings possible. Zeiss and Leica / Leitz lenses are well-known and used by many, but they don't come cheap either (except a few).
Manual focus is suitable for certain cases. But if TS comes from G10 then I don't think that should be his first step.

I had been reading quite a lot here.

I read some people mention that this camera is good for wild animal & sport & this camera is good on landscape & portrait. Example is the 7D & 5D MK2.

I thought the len is the one that should determine what u wanted to shot & the body is the same. Maybe a FF camera IQ is definitely better with the skill of the user.

When they said that, maybe they're comparing the FPS that the camera can make for sports, and resolution/ISO/dynamic range for landscape & portrait.

Lens plays a big part but not all. Remember lens and body work together. I will say IQ in FF is better but comes at a bigger cost and weight. Since you seems to be fairly new to photography, I will suggest to start with something you're comfortable with and practice practice practice to see if you want to seriously take it up to go into FF.

Last edited:
Nah, you can't say this. It really needs the high end models to get stunning pictures. Isn't this what the marketing departments and sales men all say ... ;)

:bsmilie:

When they said that, maybe they're comparing the FPS that the camera can make for sports, and resolution/ISO/dynamic range for landscape & portrait.

Lens plays a big part but not all. Remember lens and body work together. I will say IQ in FF is better but comes at a bigger cost and weight. Since you seems to be fairly new to photography, I will suggest to start with something you're comfortable with and practice practice practice to see if you want to seriously take it up to go into FF.

Actually not new. I gave up this hobby 20 years ago. My first compact camera is a Canon top end ( forgot the model ) but film picture very sharp & brilliant. I then go on to get a Nikon F601 but gave up this hobby after 2 years. Then I get a Casio Z500 & recently a G10.

Thinking of taking back this hobby again.

Rent them and try them out?

Unless you buy Nikon D700 which accept DX and FX lens.

FYI, ALL full-frame cameras will accept their crop-sensor lenses. BUT at an "auto-crop". So the D700/D3 would essentially be like a 5-6MP APS-C camera, the D3X and Sony A900/A850 11MP equiv.

Actually not new. I gave up this hobby 20 years ago. My first compact camera is a Canon top end ( forgot the model ) but film picture very sharp & brilliant. I then go on to get a Nikon F601 but gave up this hobby after 2 years. Then I get a Casio Z500 & recently a G10.

It's a pretty big leap (in terms of price, size, complexity, everything) to go from G10 to 5DmkII.
Well, if you've used a film SLR before, you're certainly not a newbie to photography.

But purely based on the genres of photos you intend to take, it's pretty safe to say that either of the 3 (A900, 5D2, D700) will excel. There should hardly be any situation where the camera cannot meet your requirements.

That's great. Sometimes it's good to rekindle an old flame ;) :bsmilie:

That's great. Sometimes it's good to rekindle an old flame ;) :bsmilie:

So you can crash and burn a second time? :bsmilie:

FYI, ALL full-frame cameras will accept their crop-sensor lenses. BUT at an "auto-crop". So the D700/D3 would essentially be like a 5-6MP APS-C camera, the D3X and Sony A900/A850 11MP equiv.

Not Canon though.. You cannot mount EF-S lenses on full frame EF bodies. For Nikon, you can even disable the autocrop feature.

you mean physically cannot mount EF-S lenses, or the software doesnt support?

Not Canon though.. You cannot mount EF-S lenses on full frame EF bodies. For Nikon, you can even disable the autocrop feature.

you mean physically cannot mount EF-S lenses, or the software doesnt support?

Physically. EF-S lenses have a plastic ring at the back that prevents mounting on FF cameras. For some lenses there are DIY guides to remove the ring, though. No software involved here.

Actually the G10 performs very well even when compared to 5D2 or D700 so it can go really far. Just need to keep the ISO 100 and below.

Can a G10 shoot at f1.2, use a fisheye, zoom beyond 10x, shoot wider than 24mm, give you 20++ MP, on and on...

Having said the above, the G10 is light and portable for travels.

You really can't compare your G10 with it's puny sized sensor to a DSLR sensor(let alone an FF DSLR). Just take note that higher res cameras would require extraordinary lenses to make full use of the MP.

Just like when you purchased your SLR in the earlier days, consider the fact that you are buying into a system..... lenses, flashes, accessories, compatibility and even support.

Just like your opinion on above FF cameras in term of image quality.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.