Canon EOS 1D MkII N

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you use a Mac, the Aperture RAW conversion seems to work especially well for the 1DIIn. 1DIIn files seem to hold details in the whites much better and colors are richer and warmer (that may or may not be good depending on your preference).

Terence said:
If you use a Mac, the Aperture RAW conversion seems to work especially well for the 1DIIn. 1DIIn files seem to hold details in the whites much better and colors are richer and warmer (that may or may not be good depending on your preference).
Terence, just wondering, you have used both the II and IIN before I believe? Do you find any differences for the image file output for both? (ie in terms of colours, sharpness etc.). TIA.

Hi
I got it through private channels, but I was quoted between $7500 - $7800 at Funan...
Justyn

dragos said:
just go out and have fun with it...it is my dream cam...:)

how much did u get it for?

Garion said:
Terence, just wondering, you have used both the II and IIN before I believe? Do you find any differences for the image file output for both? (ie in terms of colours, sharpness etc.). TIA.

I don't have a IIn, my experience is limited to a couple of hours spent with a borrowed camera. I didn't note any discernable difference in the image output between the II and IIn except for my observation with the way Aperture handles the RAW files from the IIn.

imo, I don't think the IIn is worth the difference in price. Used II prices have come down to quite reasonable levels and I'd encourage a prospective to look at that before considering a new IIn body. I'm not rushing out to buy one, still keeping my II as my main axe. Cheers

Terence said:
I don't have a IIn, my experience is limited to a couple of hours spent with a borrowed camera. I didn't note any discernable difference in the image output between the II and IIn except for my observation with the way Aperture handles the RAW files from the IIn.

imo, I don't think the IIn is worth the difference in price. Used II prices have come down to quite reasonable levels and I'd encourage a prospective to look at that before considering a new IIn body. I'm not rushing out to buy one, still keeping my II as my main axe. Cheers
Thanks for the input! Yes used 1DII prices have come down by quite a lot since the launch of the IIN, I think in the region of 5k or even below that. IMO, cosmetically the changes in the IIN do not really warrant the difference in price between it and say a used MkII, or if you are already holding on to a MkII. I think its a prudent decision to keep your MkII. Save the cash for more nice glass. ;)

What makes me wonder abt the image quality between the two is that rumours had been circulating on some popular forums that Canon indiscreetly made some minor 'tweaks' to the way files are processed in the IIN, supposedly resulting in files with slightly better image quality (and sharper overall) than the old MkII.

not sure if it's the same on the IIN, but on my MkII, I set the following CFs.

CF2-1 so that I can't shoot without putting in a CF card
CF8-1 so that I can see ISO in my VF
CF17-1 for AF point expansion
CF18-1 so that I can reset my registered AF point faster

Garion said:
Thanks for the input! Yes used 1DII prices have come down by quite a lot since the launch of the IIN, I think in the region of 5k or even below that. IMO, cosmetically the changes in the IIN do not really warrant the difference in price between it and say a used MkII, or if you are already holding on to a MkII. I think its a prudent decision to keep your MkII. Save the cash for more nice glass. ;)

What makes me wonder abt the image quality between the two is that rumours had been circulating on some popular forums that Canon indiscreetly made some minor 'tweaks' to the way files are processed in the IIN, supposedly resulting in files with slightly better image quality (and sharper overall) than the old MkII.
I heard from a pro...mk2 AWB is better than mk2n...

I'm shopping for a MkIIN soon, but i'm holding out till after PMA to see if te price drops slightly and also to see if they announce a new 1D series camera. If they do then i do hope that the MkIIN prices drop a little.

This is what concerns me:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=19107

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=19359

Granted that not all MkII owners experience this, there seems to be a general concensus that the AF problem is real and if i'm going to pay well over $4k for a used body, or up to $7.5k for a new one, i really, REALLY don't want it to have AF glitches.

sportsshooter is not the only place online that speaks of the AF glitch on the MkII, but generally it looks like the community at sportsshooter.com really know their 1D and 1D2/1D2n bodies very well. some are pros that set up at games with a whole row of 1 series cameras and a few lenses, and they would know if just that one body had a problem, but some have said they owned like 3-4 DII's and they had problems? has anyone here had such problems?

:dunno:

honestly if there are guys on this forum who have seen this problem, i wonder how many would say so openly...

Hi
I read through the sportsshooter posts, and I think that in the first one they were referring to the MKII, not the MKIIN. The second set of posts seems to indicate that the problem has been resolved in the N. I have just had a chance to try out the N in a multiple-shot scenario and I am impressed with the sharpness. I can't see any of the problems discussed in the first post, but I will keep an eye out for it. I have tried both RAW and JPEG and neither appear to be softer than normal (I am under the impression that Canon cameras usually shoot a little soft anyway - something that I use PS to correct - but I like a very slightly soft image because you don't lose the little details).

I'll post again once I get the camera into a studio and test it out under those conditions.

I will say that I have been REALLY impressed with the low noise levels even at 1600. Coming from a 10D the N is a huge leap forward...

Justyn

The neatest trick it can do is to make people think that you are a pro photographer even though you may not know shutter speed from aperture. :bsmilie:

That's what a pro body like this can do... :thumbsup:

holeinone said:
The neatest trick it can do is to make people think that you are a pro photographer even though you may not know shutter speed from aperture. :bsmilie:

That's what a pro body like this can do... :thumbsup:

Totally agree. Even holding a 300D gives some people the impression of a pro photographer already:bsmilie:

kelccm said:
Totally agree. Even holding a 300D gives some people the impression of a pro photographer already:bsmilie:
true...was helping my tutor cover her wedding 2 years back, with my 300D and someone asked her, "how much did you pay to hire a pro photog?"

NorthernLights said:
Does the 1dMK11 non 'N' allow custom curve download like the original 1d?

Could someone be sweet and kind enough to pm me on the steps. I knew how to do this easily with the D2h I used to own. I feel Canon's interface is somehow more complicated...

ofcourse it is, in fact you can load 3 different custom curves and 3 different personal WB to your cam, just read the manual.

Personally it does not irk me if I see someone holding a 1DsMkII and using it like a point and shoot. If one has enough money I think there is no reason why others should pass snide remarks about acting pro or not. Yes, I will shake my head in disbelief for a while, but then stranger things happen in weirder parts of the world, and I know envy when I feel it. I can live with a little tinge of envy without it getting the better of me.

As with any good hobby, cost is often a limiting factor for 80% of the hobbyists. For the privileged few, they can afford the top-of-the-line hardware without breaking a sweat. It does not make them a lesser person if they are just as enthusiastic about the hobby. For some of us, passion for photography far surpasses our bank accounts’ ability to keep up. I believe it still does not give us the moral high ground to look down on those whose skill does not measure up to the equipment in their bag. More important to me is that the person using it is humble enough to admit they are still learning, and is keen to learn. So what if he isn’t as accomplished as an experienced hobbyist with a 10D or lesser camera?

If I had to start over, I would still buy my 300D and then work up to my dream camera simply because it is part of my decision making process. Others may feel that they want to buy a pro camera like the 1d2n straight and then learn so that they do not outgrow the camera in a matter of months. More power to him if he wants to do this. So often I hear that the photographer makes the photo, and the camera is just a tool. Very true and I agree, but almost just as often I see and hear others that use this very line to make themselves feel better when they do not have the nice equipment others have, and to imply that the owner of the nice equipment does not do the equipment justice.

Dunnomuch said:
Personally it does not irk me if I see someone holding a 1DsMkII and using it like a point and shoot. If one has enough money I think there is no reason why others should pass snide remarks about acting pro or not. Yes, I will shake my head in disbelief for a while, but then stranger things happen in weirder parts of the world, and I know envy when I feel it. I can live with a little tinge of envy without it getting the better of me.

As with any good hobby, cost is often a limiting factor for 80% of the hobbyists. For the privileged few, they can afford the top-of-the-line hardware without breaking a sweat. It does not make them a lesser person if they are just as enthusiastic about the hobby. For some of us, passion for photography far surpasses our bank accounts’ ability to keep up. I believe it still does not give us the moral high ground to look down on those whose skill does not measure up to the equipment in their bag. More important to me is that the person using it is humble enough to admit they are still learning, and is keen to learn. So what if he isn’t as accomplished as an experienced hobbyist with a 10D or lesser camera?

If I had to start over, I would still buy my 300D and then work up to my dream camera simply because it is part of my decision making process. Others may feel that they want to buy a pro camera like the 1d2n straight and then learn so that they do not outgrow the camera in a matter of months. More power to him if he wants to do this. So often I hear that the photographer makes the photo, and the camera is just a tool. Very true and I agree, but almost just as often I see and hear others that use this very line to make themselves feel better when they do not have the nice equipment others have, and to imply that the owner of the nice equipment does not do the equipment justice.

Well said. I just wish that a majority of Singaporeans would share those sentiments that you have. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.