Canon Employees Are Forbidden to Sit Down, Walk at Normal Pace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
saw this from another website.

2009May29023313_19639.jpg

"The president of Canon Electronics, Hisashi Sakamaki, is also the author of a book proposing some of the same measures he takes with his own company. His theory is that forcing employees to stand not only saves money but increases productivity and enhances employee relationships.

In the hallway, if an employee walks slower than 5 meters every 3.6 seconds, an alarm and flashing lights are set off, reminding the poor startled worker that he's an inefficient waste of air. Even better (or worse), there's a sign on the floor in said hallways that reads, "Let's rush: If we don't, the company and world will perish." The big boss, as a reward for thinking up all this stuff, gets to lounge in a nice, relaxing chair."

http://gizmodo.com/5273192/canon-employees-are-forbidden-to-sit-down-walk-at-normal-pace

:bigeyes::sweat:

Last edited:
Ummm....

In that case, why are Canon DSLRs developments "moving" snail's pace?

20D-30D-40D?
5D-5D2?

They even took 3 years to come up with a corporate policy regarding 5D mirror issue. And 1D3 is still left hanging (according to RG at least).

Last edited:
My feeling is that from the picture of the employees
standing, even the uniform look pajamas like.........
feeding back a sleepy sensation in a sleepy environment.

From the earlier days of affordable DSLRs they were quick
to come out with the 30D and 60D but later the competition
slap them with the Nikon D70.

Sometimes management thought they may have a
brilliant idea that could bring more benefits to the core
front, however to the unpopular new rules they may
do more harm especially when the top does the opposite.

:sweat::think:

"The president of Canon Electronics, Hisashi Sakamaki, is also the author of a book proposing some of the same measures he takes with his own company. His theory is that forcing employees to stand not only saves money but increases productivity and enhances employee relationships.

In the hallway, if an employee walks slower than 5 meters every 3.6 seconds, an alarm and flashing lights are set off, reminding the poor startled worker that he's an inefficient waste of air. Even better (or worse), there's a sign on the floor in said hallways that reads, "Let's rush: If we don't, the company and world will perish." The big boss, as a reward for thinking up all this stuff, gets to lounge in a nice, relaxing chair."

http://gizmodo.com/5273192/canon-employees-are-forbidden-to-sit-down-walk-at-normal-pace

and i thought ford (model t ford not the current ford) and toyota were already anal about their assembly line efficiency :rolleyes:

Santa's elves busy in the workshop? Or SPECTRE's henchmen (James Bond joke) bent on World domination?

Either way, that sucks!

This kind of thing probably work in that country only..

Heard that the company ask the employees in a survey on what how much time they are actually productive during the working hours, and the employee actually declared that they are productive only 4 out of the 8 working hours! Naturally, the next step for the company will be to increase their workload or reduce manpower..

Then some company will refer to canon employees' response and then try to squeeze more output out of their poor employees in SG when they are already short of manpower.

It's weird that some employees in some countries can declare that they are "working" only half of the working hours in office. If they feel that they are overpaid they should just resign or ask for paycut instead of getting their other hardworking colleagues into trouble.

Hahaha, this is so funny!:bsmilie:

Ok, I can vouch that this is only in Canon Inc.(aka Canon Japan)

Canon SG u try this I assure u everyone resign:bsmilie:

This kind of thing probably work in that country only..

Heard that the company ask the employees in a survey on what how much time they are actually productive during the working hours, and the employee actually declared that they are productive only 4 out of the 8 working hours! Naturally, the next step for the company will be to increase their workload or reduce manpower..

Then some company will refer to canon employees' response and then try to squeeze more output out of their poor employees in SG when they are already short of manpower.

It's weird that some employees in some countries can declare that they are "working" only half of the working hours in office. If they feel that they are overpaid they should just resign or ask for paycut instead of getting their other hardworking colleagues into trouble.

They obviously haven't mastered the art of Eating Snake Smartly :bsmilie:

Is this an office or just some workstation in an assembly line? I reckon that there's nothing surprising about employees standing in a factory, on the production floor. :what:

They are not he only one with this practice. Seen couple of companies having such culture, yes even in Singapore. There's some occupation that need one to stand througout their working hours eg machinist. So nothing unusual really.

Standing is not unusual, esp for MNC from that country. But "min speed limit" for walking, in SG, probably will be quite unusual..

Ummm....

In that case, why are Canon DSLRs developments "moving" snail's pace?

20D-30D-40D?
5D-5D2?

They even took 3 years to come up with a corporate policy regarding 5D mirror issue. And 1D3 is still left hanging (according to RG at least).

They stand too long already is it? Stand until brain dead.

The Japanese are the ultimate worker ants. Give them a path, a direction, a goal, and they will over achieve it in a big way.

Be it designing a smaller DSLR, a faster FPS, squeezing in more pixels on a sensor, etc. But, God forbid, don't even think of making them think out of the box. Just like worker ants, put a small little twig in their path, and everyone gets confused!

These are the very reasons why I am 100% convinced Canon will FOREVER stubbornly stick to things like the 1.3x crop factor, and the famous Direct Print button on non-1D bodies. They will design a 1.3x 1D with video, faster FPS, a smaller form factor even, but don't, just please don't, ever ask them to ask themselves, how about doing an inspirational sports/PJ camera that breaks the mold. Nope, nadda, not going to happen.

But, God forbid, don't even think of making them think out of the box. Just like worker ants, put a small little twig in their path, and everyone gets confused!

These are the very reasons why I am 100% convinced Canon will FOREVER stubbornly stick to things like the 1.3x crop factor, and the famous Direct Print button on non-1D bodies.

i find it quite astounding for you to judge the entire japanese people based on one camera company, moreover one of the least innovative.

i find it quite astounding for you to judge the entire japanese people based on one camera company.

Oh for crying out loud, save the PC b/s. Yes, I'm poking fun at them, and at the same time, I'm giving them credit where credit is due.

The West came up with the semiconductor, LSI, VLSI etc. But who's the ones who made it smaller, faster, more energy efficient... the Japanese. Obviously very smart and very dedicated people. I absolutely admire them for that.

Then there's the creative side. Origami for instance, amazing permutations etc etc.

But corporate Japan, well, that's where my snide remarks are aimed at.

So there, I find it profoundly amusing that you're astounded at my whimsical rant. Wow, always wanted to use "profound" and "astound" in the same sentence :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.