Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM - Budget Landscape Users Rejoice!

I think there needs to be some clarification wrt USM vs STM, and plastic vs metal mount.

You'd be amazed at how damn fast these STM lenses are. I can't be bothered with technical details. But as far as practical experiences are concerned, I can tell you STM's speed of focusing is on par (if not even a wee bit faster) than USM. One advantage of STM I know is that, there is no sound during AF, or at least not as audible as with USM.

Plastic mount does not make your images turn out worse compared to metal mount. It also does not make your lens drop off more easily from the camera body. Once you fix it to the body, no one can tell from the slightest bit if the lens has metal or plastic mount.

The only reason I can argue why metal mount seems better is that it makes the lens look more expensive. Plastic always look and feel cheaper than metal. But for so much price diff between the 10-18 and 10-22, who's complaining? In fact, one advantage of plastic mount is that I am less afraid of the possibility of scratching the lens and camera body mounts, unlike if they are both metal.

I think there needs to be some clarification wrt USM vs STM, and plastic vs metal mount.

You'd be amazed at how damn fast these STM lenses are. I can't be bothered with technical details. But as far as practical experiences are concerned, I can tell you STM's speed of focusing is on par (if not even a wee bit faster) than USM. One advantage of STM I know is that, there is no sound during AF, or at least not as audible as with USM.

Plastic mount does not make your images turn out worse compared to metal mount. It also does not make your lens drop off more easily from the camera body. Once you fix it to the body, no one can tell from the slightest bit if the lens has metal or plastic mount.

The only reason I can argue why metal mount seems better is that it makes the lens look more expensive. Plastic always look and feel cheaper than metal. But for so much price diff between the 10-18 and 10-22, who's complaining? In fact, one advantage of plastic mount is that I am less afraid of the possibility of scratching the lens and camera body mounts, unlike if they are both metal.
Let's not forget STM is focus by wire, it's not coupled to the actual focusing element.

And yes, I do agree this lens is superb, beating the 10-22 in many areas.
I still prefer the 10-22.

Scratching the lens and camera body mount... :bsmilie:
Not sure about you, but I use my camera to shoot landscapes, not display it in a display cabinet.

I'm a sucker for metal mount though.

Let's not forget STM is focus by wire, it's not coupled to the actual focusing element.

And yes, I do agree this lens is superb, beating the 10-22 in many areas.
I still prefer the 10-22.

Scratching the lens and camera body mount... :bsmilie:
Not sure about you, but I use my camera to shoot landscapes, not display it in a display cabinet.

I'm a sucker for metal mount though.

Wire or no wire, who cares? Have used it extensively. No problem. It works fast. And it works well. There's also no report so far about STM being more fragile than USM.

On scratching of metal mounts, I'm only offering a POSSIBLE reason on its advantage. If it doesn't bother you, So be it. But the condition of lens and camera body is a concern for many buyers of 2ndhand items.

If you shoot landscapes, why care about whether the mount is plastic or metal then? It's likely a personal opinion also.

Wire or no wire, who cares? Have used it extensively. No problem. It works fast. And it works well. There's also no report so far about STM being more fragile than USM.

On scratching of metal mounts, I'm only offering a POSSIBLE reason on its advantage. If it doesn't bother you, So be it. But the condition of lens and camera body is a concern for many buyers of 2ndhand items.

If you shoot landscapes, why care about whether the mount is plastic or metal then? It's likely a personal opinion also.
Having the focus ring coupled to the actual focusing element is very helpful, it allows for more precise manual focusing as compared to the stepper motor doing the manual focusing in predefined steps.

My preference is with a metal mount, and having a plastic mount is a indication of the lens a budget lens.

Since you've said you used it extensively, surely you would have notice that the STM focusing system will go into sleep mode when there's a period of inactivity, that's one disadvantage of STM and a big downer for me.

ymmv

Last edited:
Since you've said you used it extensively, surely you would have notice that the STM focusing system will go into sleep mode when there's a period of inactivity, that's one disadvantage of STM and a big downer for me.

ymmv

Sorry... I am about to own one (having won and about to collect one from Courts Tampines soon), this is the first time I see this... what is sleep mode after a period of time? You mean the lens would not move or focus?

Sorry... I am about to own one (having won and about to collect one from Courts Tampines soon), this is the first time I see this... what is sleep mode after a period of time? You mean the lens would not move or focus?
After a period of inactivity, the lens will go in to sleep mode to conserve power.

Half pressing the shutter button will wake the STM, nothing too big of a problem here.
Still can zoom normally, no issues there.

Oh... okay thanks a million :)

It is a free lens to me, good sharpness, so it is great for me. Can't wait for it to come in.

I agree on the "silentness" of the STM. I only have the 55-250 STM but my god, it's practically quiet during focusing! And the sharpness = fantastic compared to my earlier 55-250 1st series.

Also yeah, plastic mount, metal mount, so long as it secures to the body... all the same. Only caveat is that the plastic mount, if used roughly will be less durable than the metal mount and result in problems later - but that's if you're a rough user or whatever.

this is my fav lens, cheap n good UWA haha

Would be getting this soon. Always wanted UWA but 10-22 was out of my budget. This 10-18 would also fit perfectly in my existing range of 18-55 and 55-250.

Taken with 100D
No PP done

$14215836078_6054713bc9_z.jpg

$14215803699_1afde0c43b_z.jpg

Last edited:
awesome...i am so getting myself a 700D and this lens next weekend!