Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM - Budget Landscape Users Rejoice!

One gripe about STM(at least the 40 STM) is that the focus ring is decoupled from the actual focusing mechanism, it might be a hassle for some..

Yes i agree, as good as the STM is, the lack of a focus scale and the fact that rotating the focus ring doesn't mechanically focus the camera but instead act on a motor which does the adjustment for you, might make it tough to do manual focus.

As someone who enjoys landscape photography and uses manual focus often, i would still prefer the EFS10-22.

I have the EFS 18-135, and the STM system can get tricky sometimes. Great for autofocus though.

this new lens is a blow to owners of 10-22 who are selling away their copies. I seen bns prices at $650-800. Wonder who will buy them when the new lens is probably sub $400?

this new lens is a blow to owners of 10-22 who are selling away their copies. I seen bns prices at $650-800. Wonder who will buy them when the new lens is probably sub $400?
I'll still get the 10-22 over this.

I'll be switching back to APS-C in a few years time. The 10-18/18-55/55-250 IS STM trio are on my to-buy list.

Argh! I want this for my 100D when traveling even though I have a 10-22... downsizing everything is nice for traveling.
The price is good too... but for me a waste as I have the older lens. But this is a no-brainer for anyone needing a UWA on a EOS APS-C. Good product Canon!

IMHO, I do not think this new EF-S 10-18 IS STM will surpass 10-22 optically..No doubt the price is really cheap for an UWA lens, but it is likely "a kit lens" performance, good but not great. You pay for what you get.

Again, may be I m wrong. Let's wait for the review and actual comparison with 10-22.

This would be perfect for my astrophotography :D

How would a slow aperture lens be gd for astrophotography?

That's what I thought too.

But nevertheless, this new budget crop UWA is great news for people who wants to have a lightweight (both physical and pockets) Canon system.

Why not. Ultrawide fov multi stacked. Aperture isn't the most important.

The MTF of the new 10-18mm seems to show its sharper than the well-respected 10-22mm.

But from the few images I see on the above UK link, the corner sharpness is quite disappointing. But can't conclude much as it's based on the few images.

So yeah, I think it's a kit lens quality. Not to say kit lenses are totally bad but for those who want better quality, metal mount, faster aperture, I think the 10-22 is still hard to beat. So I don't think the 10-18 can push the 10-22 market away. If I have extra cash, I'd still go for 10-22. I find it already very light and small!

The 10-18mm seems attractive for the XXXD or XXXXD Rebel series if users want low cost and lightweight as priority. For XXD or 7D users, the 10-22's built and image quality make a better pair with the camera bodies.

Just my humble opinion... :)

Lens is in stock b&h US.
Soon will see this lens in SG.

Bought this lens for 2300hkd using credit card from mirama camera at stanley street in hong kong.

TK Foto posted in fb that stocks are in Singapore. Pretty sure the stocks should be coming to other shops soon as well.

Very nice, thanks. I'll go buy one
-----
Bought it :)

QUOTE=HydroPoP;8885017]First shot using landscape mode of my 60D. tIMG_9032 by azeoprop, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

Last edited: