Canon ~~EF 70-200mm F4 L (IS or non IS)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

planetg

Feb 5, 2007
Thinking of getting the 70-200 f4L.

Is the IS worth the extra dough?

I'll be taking more potraits, landscapes, aquarium / corals and for travelling.

Advice needed.

Cheers

That's why I thought of just getting the non IS version then upgrade to 2.8 later.

Dun think i'll even step on the 2.8 as of now cos it's still a little hobby plus I'll be taking most shots in daylight.

So seriously, F4L IS or non-IS?

Cheers

That's why I thought of just getting the non IS version then upgrade to 2.8 later.

Dun think i'll even step on the 2.8 as of now cos it's still a little hobby plus I'll be taking most shots in daylight.

So seriously, F4L IS or non-IS?

Cheers

Take the F4L IS. I am eyeing this :kiss:

Well , F4 is definitely lightest among the 70-200 L ...

The new 70-200mm f4L IS is reputed to have 4 stops of shake correction and also even better optics than the older version, so if your budget can accomodate that lens, get it.

The new 70-200mm f4L IS is reputed to have 4 stops of shake correction and also even better optics than the older version, so if your budget can accomodate that lens, get it.

By saying new, which batech of lens code are you refering to?
UUXXXX?

By saying new, which batech of lens code are you refering to?
UUXXXX?

70-200 f4/L IS USM. Regardless of lens code. Since the f/4L IS came out, the IS system was already the new one, with 4 stops shake correction. :)

wow! what a consensus!

70-200 F4L IS a ~ $1700?

IS is not really my thing, I prefer a faster shutter speed over anything. If I were you, I would get a 70-200mm f/2.8 Non-IS.

I think the appropriate response is..

depends on what you're more likely to use it for.

IS helps if you can afford it especially in panning where its 5 thumbs up in the number of successful shots versus non-IS.

just to let you know, according to the MTF graphs online, the 70-200mm f4 IS is superior in terms of resolving power and sharpness to the f2.8, f2.8 IS and f4 non-IS variants.

However, they are all very good lenses in their own right... one of the sharpest in the range.

IS when u frequently shooting in very low lighting, else save up the extra $650 for something else. The non IS one is gd enough for general conditions.

if u've gotten the non-IS, u'll wonder if u should've gotten the IS instead....
but if u gotten the IS in the 1st place, no more wondering........u have both...:bsmilie:

cheers....

Status
Not open for further replies.