Canon EF 40mm F2.8 STM

It's the same as the 50 1.8..sounds like there's sand in there..but it's just the gears

Also found that when manual focusing, the lens producing some scratching sound.. Even bigger than it does AF

Ring USM FTW! No more non-Ring USM lenses for me (though I will consider those with STM).

In the manual, it says the central cross AF detection can be used in a list of cameras. does that mean other than the listed camera (basically all 1 series), it cannot activate center cross AF point?

In the manual, it says the central cross AF detection can be used in a list of cameras. does that mean other than the listed camera (basically all 1 series), it cannot activate center cross AF point?

For lenses with effective largest aperture of f/8. Most lenses are fine if you don't use teleconverter with them.

For lenses with effective largest aperture of f/8. Most lenses are fine if you don't use teleconverter with them.

thanks. my question is actually, you know, for many canon dslr, the central cross AF point is sensitive to f/2.8 or faster lens only, for a slower lens, it won't act as a cross point. Since this 40mm is a f/2.8 lens, I suppose it could activate the cross sensor in the central AF point, but the line in the manual puzzled me as it specifically indicate what cameras can use the central cross point with this lens...

Thank you for everyone's input. The 40 on a 1D looks crazy!

Pancake time! by alabang, on Flickr

Here's my pancake lens on my old Canon 5D Classic (which is now sold):

2012-08-09%2520-%2520Pancake%2520Lens%2520on%25205D%2520Classic.jpg

thanks. my question is actually, you know, for many canon dslr, the central cross AF point is sensitive to f/2.8 or faster lens only, for a slower lens, it won't act as a cross point. Since this 40mm is a f/2.8 lens, I suppose it could activate the cross sensor in the central AF point, but the line in the manual puzzled me as it specifically indicate what cameras can use the central cross point with this lens...

I have contacted Canon USA support, according to the reply, unfortunately, other than the listed camera, all other camera's center cross point cannot be activated by this lens...

This is the quote from the reply: "

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I am sorry that your camera may not be in the list for cross type AF points.

Yes, this is correct. If your camera is not in that list, then it doesn't have cross type AF points. We regret any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time.

"

so, said in another way, this lens' f/2.8 is not as open as other f/2.8 lens..

It is possible the T-stop is the culprit.

I have contacted Canon USA support, according to the reply, unfortunately, other than the listed camera, all other camera's center cross point cannot be activated by this lens...

This is the quote from the reply: "

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I am sorry that your camera may not be in the list for cross type AF points.

Yes, this is correct. If your camera is not in that list, then it doesn't have cross type AF points. We regret any inconvenience that this may cause you at this time.

"

so, said in another way, this lens' f/2.8 is not as open as other f/2.8 lens..

I love the colours and the clarity that you can get out of the pancake lens. This is a very simple shot of a tree at the Toronto Zoo.

Shot with 5D3 at 40mm, f/2.8.

Toronto%2520Zoo%2520Meetup%2520-1439.jpg

this little thing produces surprisingly pleasing bokeh highlights

IMG_8821s.jpg

this little thing produces surprisingly pleasing bokeh highlights

Nice. I am assuming that you've cropped to the bokeh area only. Would you be able to post the entire photo so that we could get some perceptive?

Nice. I am assuming that you've cropped to the bokeh area only. Would you be able to post the entire photo so that we could get some perceptive?

actually this is the entire photo... I purposely set the focus to a near field and shoot the full photo of highlights only

tested this bad boy out at canon photomarathon ytd. IQ was amazingly crisp.
autofocus was quick. bokeh is comparable to a L lens.

tested this bad boy out at canon photomarathon ytd. IQ was amazingly crisp.
autofocus was quick. bokeh is comparable to a L lens.

Yes, I would agree. The lens is small but the IQ and bokeh are amazingly good. Don't know about auto-focusing though... I find it a little slow on my 5D3 compared to other lenses. Over-all, a great lens.

Highly recommended lens for FF!

After reading all the reviews here + internet, really tempted to get this as my walkaround lens.... and somemore dun really need a filter LOL...

After reading all the reviews here + internet, really tempted to get this as my walkaround lens.... and somemore dun really need a filter LOL...

This makes a good walk around lens for size and weight... very easy to carry around. I would suggest against putting on a filter... you'll make the lens appear 3 times bigger!