Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 MK II or Tamron 24-70 f2.8 G2

Chopperstop

Jan 23, 2019
Hi all,

I am deciding between the 2 lenses for general purpose, but can’t make up my mind.

Does anyone have experience with the Tamron’s reliability? There are a lot of horror stories online about focus issues, some of which require servicing or tuning with the TAP-IN console. I understand Tamron Service support in SG is near non-existent, and even if they do exist, they do not seem to have the expertise to handle the repairs, often having to send the lens to Japan for repairs. The positive thing is that it has a pretty good VC system, while the price of a new one is lower than that of the Canon bought used.

On the other hand, Canon’s version is well acclaimed for its performance and doesn’t need much introduction, but lack of VC.

Side note is that I don’t earn $ from photography. It’s just a hobby. I’m only considering Used Canon and New/Used Tamron.

One thing to note is that Tamron zoom rotation is not the Canon's direction.

If AF is not critical, can consider Tamron (slightly increased sharpness), else save up for the Canon. or maybe wait for the 'mark III'
Native lens tend to hold the resale value better.

Yes, it is the right time to buy the Canon version. If you don't mind grey set, brand new set is selling at $1,822.

if you are video shooting, Tamron is the choice.

As for sharpness, you can do some pp and is good to go.

If you are not going to make money out if your gears, just go with what you can afford. If the price of both is the same(highly unlikely), I'll go with Canon.

That said, I've used the tamrom 24-70 v1 for sometime now.... Still good. If you compare the colors side by side, you will see the difference. But sharpness wise, doubt you can spot it.

Another thing to note was as mentioned earlier, tamron zoom ring turns the other direction, but so far not too big an issue. Just need to get used to it. (Might be life and death for pros on job)

Anyway, won't go wrong with any of these. Just be happy with what you buy and move on shooting photos.

I have had a Tamron zoom lens that literally disintegrated after heavy usage (not abused). So far all my Canon lenses are still working well after years. The main reason you would buy a third party lens is because of budget.