Canon dslr with Nikon lens

mnlow

Jun 2, 2004
Hi all

Sorry if I'm being silly but I'm new to the DSLR world. I'm just wondering if I were to get the Canon EOS 550d, would a Nikon lens AF-S VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX work with it as this lens seem to be getting great reviews.

Thanks in advance

Hi all

Sorry if I'm being silly but I'm new to the DSLR world. I'm just wondering if I were to get the Canon EOS 550d, would a Nikon lens AF-S VR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED DX work with it as this lens seem to be getting great reviews.

Thanks in advance

Nope.
I dont think a mount would be available too.
Why not get the canon 18-200

Thanks YuccaTheFlower

I actually thought of getting the canon 18-200mm so I don't have to change lens but do you know if getting the 18-55mm & the 55-250mm a better option? Also, I've heard that the Sigma 18-250mm is getting better reviews than the Canon 18-200mm. Any take on that?

18-200 is a great option if you dont want to change lenses.
18-55 and 55-250 is a nice cheaper option if you dont mind changing lenses.
Not that much all different if you are only going to make small prints of put up online

Happy shooting !!! ;)

Thanks YuccaTheFlower

I actually thought of getting the canon 18-200mm so I don't have to change lens but do you know if getting the 18-55mm & the 55-250mm a better option? Also, I've heard that the Sigma 18-250mm is getting better reviews than the Canon 18-200mm. Any take on that?

It actually depends. I suppose if you get the 55-250 with the 18-55 would be a cheaper option, but Im using the 18-200 and it works well. You would be surprised by the sharpness it could achieve.

The f-stop of the sigma 18-250 is 3-5-6.3 and the images it produces are pretty soft. And it isn't better than the 18-200. At least for me

can always get a nikon 18-200 and get a nikon to canon adaptor so u can fit the nikon lens on canon mount.

It is really hard to find an adaptor. And they dont come cheap. Whats more there may be problems with the AF. Why take the risk?

If you use Nikon lenses on a eos body, the camera will not AF. Any NON EF/EFS lenses to be mounted on a eos body need to have aperture and focusing rings and have to use the A and M modes only.

Sinece TS keen on getting the Nikon zoom, why not just get the Nikon body?

Most of the Canon users who mount Nikon lenses use the good 'ol manual focus lenses, like the legendary 105mm F/2.5. Don't see any advantage of mounting a DX lens onto a Canon DSLR, you'll lose autofocus functions.

If you use Nikon lenses on a eos body, the camera will not AF. Any NON EF/EFS lenses to be mounted on a eos body need to have aperture and focusing rings and have to use the A and M modes only.

I think still can AF, maybe some dont work. And if something happens, you void the warranty.
I agree should get Nikon body, but since TS asked it, probably he has a canon body

Nikon-EOS adaptors are quite easily available.

I am more on Canon but I also uses the Nikon 18-200 on a small Nikon body. While this lens is good it is not that good (like Nikon's 24-70 or 14-24) that it is worth sacrificing AF for. Just go get a Canon 18-200 or a Sigma.

You can get a 16.9 adaptor but strictly manual focus and few selectable aperture. Not worth the trouble.

Nikon lens do not auto focus on Canon bodies and there won't be voiding of warranty.

The Canon 18-200 IS is more than good enough. Get it if it fits your budget.

if aint legendary nikon lens, its not worth mounting to eos.

You'll be trying to place a square peg into a round hole...

Image Stabilization IS, or VR doesn't work when you cross fit the lens with a different brand body.

And also NONE of the AF work, not SOME.

Don't use Canon Lens on Nikon Bodies or vice-versa, esp the non-luxury kinds..... The Lens are legendary for reasons that they function better with their own brand's cameras and not other's. ( Image Stabilization, AF for etc, besides sharpness and colour)

If you do that, its like you bought an Rolls Royce because you think its speed is "legendary", then replaced the engine with a Toyota's.

Hope this make sense, in-line with the various analogies given by other bro. What they say are technically correct.

The Lens are legendary for reasons that they function better with their own brand's cameras and not other's. ( Image Stabilization, AF for etc, besides sharpness and colour)

If you do that, its like you bought an Rolls Royce because you think its speed is "legendary", then replaced the engine with a Toyota's.

Actually I often use legendary Nikon lenses on my Canon bodies, and many others do too.

Actually I often use legendary Nikon lenses on my Canon bodies, and many others do too.

i'm sure you do, and others as well, however:

Hi all
Sorry if I'm being silly but I'm new to the DSLR world.
Thanks in advance

I guess its better to learn how to handle the DSLR first then struggle in too many technical aspects, and then give up the fantastic hobby in frustration?
Mix and match might be a good idea... for later...

Thats all I advocate, not saying can't, but this is advice pertaining to TS specifically in response to his thread and not a generalization.

I'm sure someone somewhere in the world did the RollsRoyce thing before...

The reason why I choose my 18-200mm instead of the dual kits lens is as follows:

* Better built quality(subjective)
* Shorter min focus distance in telephoto range compared to the 55-250mm
* Non-rotating front element (good for CPL & GND)
* "Rotation" Speed (it is faster to turn your zoom ring then to switch the body/lens)
* Less haste (don't need to carry extra lens or body during event shooting)
* Only need to purchase 1 set of hood & lens (UV, CPL, etc)

The discussion on the Canon 18-200mm IS lens can be found here -> http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481860