canon dedicated housings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTan

Mar 10, 2004
Hi,
nice section here...
hope to learn more about u/w photography. My photos sucks! BUT diving kicks ass!

Anyway does anyone know where to get info about canon dedicated housings and are there any recommendations?

and and... are there other good sites on how to improve your photography skills underwater (other than the old good advice on diving more and shooting more)

Thanks.

First Off,

Welcome and Enjoy Your Stay Here!!!!! :vhappy: :cheergal:

I believe we have a pool of underwater photographer that are quite experienced here, thus i'll let them take a drab at your questions.

Also why dont be more specific on improving your photos? like specific techniques, intended shots that you want?
I believe alot of the forum members here can answer your questions :D

Cheers :D
Underwater Photography

can't be specific if i'm not sure which area i need to improve on. but my macro shots are like snapshots and my wide angle shots... cannot make it. think i will need help on macro composition (do u guys look thru your viewfinder or u just put the camera there and estimate and snap).

and for wideangle, help on getting exposure.

mmii ex & strobe.

oh goondoo.. i think i'm lost in that site. how to find a housing for CANON SLRs? all the codes i don't understand. anyone to recommend?

and a silly question, can u do manual focusing underwater?

DTan said:
Hi,
nice section here...
hope to learn more about u/w photography. My photos sucks! BUT diving kicks ass!

Anyway does anyone know where to get info about canon dedicated housings and are there any recommendations?

and and... are there other good sites on how to improve your photography skills underwater (other than the old good advice on diving more and shooting more)

Thanks.

welcome! :p don't worry lah we all started sucky :p
it take time to learn and improve one! see my shots also so lousy also can post up kekekeke

DTan said:
oh goondoo.. i think i'm lost in that site. how to find a housing for CANON SLRs? all the codes i don't understand. anyone to recommend?

and a silly question, can u do manual focusing underwater?

Let me contribute what 2 cents that i may have,
First off in Digicams like OLY C5050Z, Nikon CP5000, you wouldn't be doing manual focusing, since it will be awfully troublesome to do so underwater.
If the shot is preceived for macro, then taking the advantage of High DOF would be prefered since the "important" parts of the subject will be focus. This is essentially different from the focusing point. This is generally true for digicams since it will be hard to accurately control the point of focus mainly due to back-focusing and view of image on the LCD screen.

Conversely, if the housed camera is a SLR/DSLR i.e interchangeble lens systems, with a 105mm micro lens, you will be using manual focusing, Since you will want to take advantage of the focusing point and DOF effect manually, viewfinders are normally bright and visible enough and encompasses the ability to do so.

As for your query about dedicated housings, do follow this particular link on Digideep or
http://www.digideep.com/product.php?pType=housing&mID=7

Do note that this website provides housing information of digital cameras (DSLR) included.

However, from the top of my head, I remember seeing Subal Housings for Canon EOS 5 , 50/50E. Think i have also seen Canon 5, 50/50E, 30 and 33 in Ikelite housing as well.

Hope that helped
Cheers

:D

DTan said:
can't be specific if i'm not sure which area i need to improve on. but my macro shots are like snapshots and my wide angle shots... cannot make it. think i will need help on macro composition (do u guys look thru your viewfinder or u just put the camera there and estimate and snap).

and for wideangle, help on getting exposure.

mmii ex & strobe.

ohhh i know a person who used this before....
:devil: come out come out where ever you are.....

As i am not familiar with this camera controls i will let the expert attempt to quench your queries..... :devil:

None the less, for macro composition, well to be frank it is a very broad field to discuss on. I would generally advice newer underwater photographers to know what they want and like to shoot first prior to taking the shot. I.E. reading up and having a look at some professional portfolios. It more or less gives you a rough idea or how framing should be for certain subjects.

But generally undewater creatures, by bare minimum, the eyes should be in focus, and avoid taking fish butts..... (contrary to what i have just said, spotfins lionfish's back view is quite intriguing actually :bsmilie:)
If it is nudibranchs, then the rhinophores should be in focus, unless of course the subject is leeching on them, or you are trying to show the patterns.... you get what i mean.

Finally composition wise, never take a downward shot, it gives macro subjects a very flat effect and it doesn't stand out. Try to shoot in an angle or on "eye" level.

cheers
Hope that helped

waisj said:
If it is nudibranchs, then the rhinophores should be in focus, unless of course the subject is leeching on them, or you are trying to show the patterns.... you get what i mean.

wha??? firstly what's rhinophores? and what subject (is this the nudibranch) is leeching on them? or what pattern? on the nudi or the rhino?

DTan said:
wha??? firstly what's rhinophores? and what subject (is this the nudibranch) is leeching on them? or what pattern? on the nudi or the rhino?

rhinophores --> the "horns" of a nudibranch ;)

DTan said:

haa haa..... :sweat: sorry if i have confused you. Why don't you come over to one of our SEED's and we can discuss from there. :)

waisj, what do u mean by subject is leeching on them and what pattern.

Thank you thanks you...

DTan said:

Thank you thanks you...

hoho.. maybe u like to read this thread to find out more abt nudibranch??
sea slug

cheers

p/s: Mod.. how u ask me to put that thread to interesting articles?
wanna me to repost them?? or u ppl can shift the thread to there? ;p hee

siaoon said:
hoho.. maybe u like to read this thread to find out more abt nudibranch??
sea slug

cheers

p/s: Mod.. how u ask me to put that thread to interesting articles?
wanna me to repost them?? or u ppl can shift the thread to there? ;p hee

post it there lar... look at you 26 posts only... no where near...............
1315 posts :devil: :D

DTan said:

Thank you thanks you...

Hi DTan

what i meant was that sometimes the Rhinophores need not be in focus, especially when the focal point is not the nudibranch itself.

i.e. There are some times emperor shrimps etc leeching on nudibranchs, or the spots or patterns of the nudibranch.

Hope that Helped
cheers

it helped totally. thanks. now i have an 'excuse' for oof shots. haha!

DTan said:
thanks seen that page but i'm not looking for the canon digital housing. :(

Will help if you let us know what Canon SLR you are using.
:)

canon 3
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.