Canon Canonet QL17

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels

Nov 17, 2002
LONG KAO
photo.rogerdeng.com
Hi

Just found my ancient Canonet QL17 film camera dumped in some old cabinets. The lenses and viewfinder are all cloaked with fungus growth on the inside. Not sure if I could remove the canon lens attached to it. It is a 40mm 1:1.7 lens. Just wondering if it is worth it sending this cam for lens cleaning or roughly how much do camera shops charge? :)

Pardon my knowledge with film cameras as I have been always using digital cams.... :)

i think if it still work...haev it clean dude...reviews states that it's a good RF...quite similar to Yashica .

Just to let you know that a good condition QL17 GIII can be had off Ebay for about S$100 to S$180. Locally they ask for $400+. I don't know how much lens cleaning would cost you, but the above would be a guide for you to see if it is worth it to clean.

Nice camera to use though, I had one and it got me hooked on rangefinder cameras.

glchua said:
Just to let you know that a good condition QL17 GIII can be had off Ebay for about S$100 to S$180. Locally they ask for $400+. I don't know how much lens cleaning would cost you, but the above would be a guide for you to see if it is worth it to clean.

Nice camera to use though, I had one and it got me hooked on rangefinder cameras.

i think prices have gone up on ebay for compact 70s rf's....
for a mint condition canonet ql17 gIII (one owner) with new foam seals, battery, lens cap, uv filter, camera bag is about S$260 on ebay, excluding shipping charges.

zaren said:
i think prices have gone up on ebay for compact 70s rf's....
for a mint condition canonet ql17 gIII (one owner) with new foam seals, battery, lens cap, uv filter, camera bag is about S$260 on ebay, excluding shipping charges.

Wah, hot items nowadays. Mine was from 2 years back, cost me about S$180 with shipping, no new foam seals (DIY) but with a melting case and a flash. Very mint though.

wow ... thanks for the reply guys....never know it is worth that much. Tried playing with it and it is still working and all.

Another question .... can tell me some good place or shop to send this for cleaning. :)

Or is there is website that teaches me how to take this camera apart to clean it? :D

Also, is there a option to add a cable release for this RF? I notice a Bulb mode but would not be nice if I had to stick my finger on the shuttle release when do bulb shots.

Thanks bros

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-27.html

check it out.
fungus removal... you need 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 1 part toilet ammonia.

Besides that you'll need isopropyl alcohol, rosonol(lighter fluid for the shutter blades.. and lense cleaner.

primal_discord said:

check it out.

Besides that you'll need isopropyl alcohol, rosonol(lighter fluid for the shutter blades.. and lense cleaner.

something less nasty: cold cream.

i tried ponds cold cream and it works. remove the cream with some windex or equivalent window cleaner.

Very Gd stuff!

primal_discord said:

check it out.

Wah lou ... bro ... thanks for the link. :thumbsup: teh kong man ....

But problem now is to figure out with the diagrams how to take the whole cam apart ..... :sweat:

no prob...... I always liked vintage cams... so on a look out... current colllecting to add to my collection.....

And also... they're simpler in design.. so .... more user-friendly
Have fun.... OH yeah.... do your stuff ona plastice tray... hate it when i go

*Ooops... there goes the invisible screw....

primal_discord said:
no prob...... I always liked vintage cams... so on a look out... current colllecting to add to my collection.....

And also... they're simpler in design.. so .... more user-friendly
Have fun.... OH yeah.... do your stuff ona plastice tray... hate it when i go

*Ooops... there goes the invisible screw....

Thanks for the tip.

Actually do I need any special tools to get around for inside the cam? Or just simply small screw drivers, pincers, pliers .... ?

wheels said:
Thanks for the tip.

Actually do I need any special tools to get around for inside the cam? Or just simply small screw drivers, pincers, pliers .... ?

I have one. I sent to FeiFei at Chinatown for removal & replacing of the melted foam and cleaning. Cost less than $60. Don't DIY, better let pro do it.

Well-worth it, very sharp & fast lens.

where's this fei fei thingie... never heard of it...hmmm

maxkcyeo said:
I have one. I sent to FeiFei at Chinatown for removal & replacing of the melted foam and cleaning. Cost less than $60. Don't DIY, better let pro do it.

Well-worth it, very sharp & fast lens.

Ok ... sound good and cheap. Do they have spare lenses as well? Not sure if my exterior lens is scratch or moulded.... Anyway, can give me this FeiFei's exactly location? Will go check them out. :)

wheels said:
Ok ... sound good and cheap. Do they have spare lenses as well? Not sure if my exterior lens is scratch or moulded.... Anyway, can give me this FeiFei's exactly location? Will go check them out. :)

A good place to have your cam serviced is at workshop at Shaw towers at Scotts Rd called Mechania or something like that.

The guy is an expert with RFs esp Leicas.

Did a very good job on my camera. His prices are pretty reasonable.

Another good repair guy is CamX at Peninsula plaza.

wheels said:

Its at one of the shops beside Chinatown Point, opposite the new Hotel 81.

maxkcyeo said:
Its at one of the shops beside Chinatown Point, opposite the new Hotel 81.
Next to the POSB branch at Hong Lim Centre, fronting Cross street... lemme know how it turns out, i've got a canonet too that needs wiping up.

Guys...

Just got my evaluation from Fee Fee on my canonet. Was told that there is no lens replacement anymore for this model. My lens abit scratch and coating is gone. Was told that cleaning it may help but may not regain it 100%sharpness anymore ... probably about 80% only. How man? :(

Would like some opinion on whether I should still go ahead and clean it and try to use it. Was quoted about $80 for cleaning. Or is there another shop I should go to and maybe to get a second opinion. :)

Thanks

i might be getting this RF from ebay soon, so i probably need to know which place offers good cleaning at a great price! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.