Canon 7D Setting Modes

mcsucram

Jul 29, 2012
Singapore
Newbie requesting for help with Canon 7D's setting modes. Just got mine a few days ago and wasn't really sure of which mode or settings to use. Would like to know what kind of settings or modes most of you 7D savvy users use for portrait, landscape and also sports mode. Do feel free to drop a comment! Cheers! :)

When in doubt, the Auto is always there :)

Newbie requesting for help with Canon 7D's setting modes. Just got mine a few days ago and wasn't really sure of which mode or settings to use. Would like to know what kind of settings or modes most of you 7D savvy users use for portrait, landscape and also sports mode. Do feel free to drop a comment! Cheers! :)

Welcome to CS! Reading the manual and shooting with it definitely help. This video should help too.

[video=youtube;6nBVeWszWrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nBVeWszWrU&feature=relmfu[/video]

Thanks but what mode is best for sports, landscape and portrait? As in there's CA, P, TV, AV, M and B? Which is the best for which? Thanks in advance!

manual is best for everything

Sport : Time value. To freeze the fast moment u need fast shutter. The aperture will follow. Manual not recommended as it's a fast moment n u can't re capture.

Landscape : Aperture value. To capture everything in sharp. The shutter speed will follow automatically. Use tripod. But Manual setting is better. U can do trial 1st.

My advice, get to know the dslr basic first. Aperture, shutter, iso, composition so you'll know the setting for any composition. Good luck n enjoy the 7D! :)

Last edited:
You can try starting with Av mode~

Thanks but what mode is best for sports, landscape and portrait? As in there's CA, P, TV, AV, M and B? Which is the best for which? Thanks in advance!

There is no 'best' mode. You have to understand what each mode does first. Read up the manual and learn about aperture and shutter speed is your best mode :)

There is a novel about a Spanish guy called Manual included when you buy the camera. You may also download his story at the manufacturer's website.

the novel about Manual tells you a lot about how he used your camera to achieve the shots he wanted. a very helpful book indeed.

You got the wrong camera then. Get a better one that has all the different modes for Sports, Landscape, Portrait. Donate your 7D to charity, not much worth without these modes, right? :)

Hmm... dont mind if I ask if this is your first DSLR or your first camera?

Well there are no "golden" settings specially for 7D to take portraits, landscape or sports. I think you really need to learn some basics on aperture and shutter speed (applies to all cameras, not only 7D)...

Portrait : Av mode, manual mode
Sports : Tv mode, manual mode and once in a while Av mode
Landscape: Av Mode, Manual Mode and once in a while Tv Mode
Wildlife: Manual Mode, Av Mode and Tv Mode
Lazy: Auto mode or P-mode

So there you have it... Many time, I am in the lazy mode so... yeah, auto and P mode.

Tv = Sports
Av = Portrait and many more...

For me I pretty much spam the Av mode.... :)

Hi, may I know where you got your 7D and how much you got it for (Body + kit lens + misc) :D Thanks!

petitepotatoes said:
Hi, may I know where you got your 7D and how much you got it for (Body + kit lens + misc) :D Thanks!

There are many at buy & sell section...

Portrait : Av mode, manual mode
Sports : Tv mode, manual mode and once in a while Av mode
Landscape: Av Mode, Manual Mode and once in a while Tv Mode
Wildlife: Manual Mode, Av Mode and Tv Mode
Lazy: Auto mode or P-mode

So there you have it... Many time, I am in the lazy mode so... yeah, auto and P mode.

My lazy mode would be Av Mode, just leave it at a certain aperture can liao.

You can check our Price Guides for a rough reference or call the shops up for a quote.