Canon 7D or Canon 1D mk iii?

PROtographer

Deregistered
Oct 14, 2011
Thanks!

They are basically different cameras for different usage. If TS do not know which to choose, I think it is better for him to stay with whatever camera he/she is using.

agree...what is the thing about 7D/ 1Diii you are looking for? build quality? fps? If is for birding i would go for 7D for reach, if it is for sports whereby extra crop factor is not needed 1D iii. If it is involving high iso also maybe 7D. Etc etc....

get the 7D if you need:
- a smaller body
- further reach
- video mode/ proper live view

else the 1D3 is a better camera in terms of:
- build quality
- focusing
- high ISO

It's kinda limited for choice of lenses available at the UWA end for 1DMk3. You can't use lenses for crop sensors. Wideness of EF UWA lens get reduced due to the 1.3x crop. Seems neither here nor there. :dunno:

I sold my 5D2 and kept my 1D3 because I preferred having a faster fps and focusing speed. and somehow through my observations the 1D3 has a 'creamier' grain effect while shootin at a higher ISO as compared to the 5D2 despite the 1D3 being an older camera with older technology. and finally it is also because I enjoy shooing with the 1D3, makes me feel excited to capture moments with it compared to the 5D2.

I guess there's not really a right or wrong answer? but what do you need and if your budget can afford them. or else everyone would be pre-ordering the 1DX alrdy, sure won't go wrong lolx

I'll go for 1D3..

1D3 is a great camera IMHO (that's why i bought it lolx). But be careful of AF issues with certain batch of 1D3, and be prepared you may still need to do some minor microadjustments depending on the lens that you use.

It's kinda limited for choice of lenses available at the UWA end for 1DMk3. You can't use lenses for crop sensors. Wideness of EF UWA lens get reduced due to the 1.3x crop. Seems neither here nor there. :dunno:

depends on how wide you want. You can get 18mm UWA on 14L, or Samyang.

Get the 7D if you have a stable of EF-S that you like
If you really want to spend the money and dont mind carrying additional weight, get the 1D3 bah.
Honestly, I think you might not be ready to invest in 1D3 yet

Get a older 1D2 for less than $1.5k and spend the rest of your money on a good lens.

I have the 7D and have used the 1Dmk3. Both are great cameras! I'm glad that I don't have to make the decision!

I have the 7D and have used the 1Dmk3. Both are great cameras! I'm glad that I don't have to make the decision!

IQ for 7D and 1D MK III, which one is much better?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

1D3 has smoother grain. Personally I find 7D's high ISO performance is similar to 40D/50D whereas 1D3's IQ is on its own league.

I rate 1D3 above 7D in terms of IQ (due to large image sensor and low MP), however the difference is not overly significant to be considered as "much better". If you compare 7D with 5D2 then I can pretty safe to say 5D2 has "much better" IQ than 7D.

In short, 7D < 1D3 < 5D2 in terms of IQ.

Thanks in advance!

1D3 has smoother grain. Personally I find 7D's high ISO performance is similar to 40D/50D whereas 1D3's IQ is on its own league.

I rate 1D3 above 7D in terms of IQ (due to large image sensor and low MP), however the difference is not overly significant to be considered as "much better". If you compare 7D with 5D2 then I can pretty safe to say 5D2 has "much better" IQ than 7D.

I concur. 1D3 have very good image quality, high ISO capability and built quality. Don't be fooled by it's LCD screen. Review the photos using a calibrated monitor and be WOWed.

I won't hesitate to use it at ISO 3200 and in the rain. Although it only has a 10.1 megapixel sensor, but the images are good enough for most general usage like publication prints and web.

Another consideration factor is the shutter lag. 1D3 has a very minimal shutter lag which puts my 5D2 in the bag sometimes when I'm doing candid shots.

I agree. The IQ of the 1D3 is noticeably improved. The bokeh has a much smoother texture.

iam using 16-35mm on my 1.3x crop body.
at the wide end,distortion is quite obvious at the side.
its good enough for wide angle,probably not to the extend of ultra wide.

i used to have the 10-22mm on a 1.6x crop body.
and i realise i seldom shoot wide angle.
therefore,16-35mm for 1.3x crop body is just nice as my walkabout lens.

Last edited: