Canon 7D Mark II - Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on Canon's strategy, I don't think so. What kind of specs do you have to cramp into 70D to make it earn the moniker of "5D3's crop equivalent?"

It will be difficult. 5D3 is the only DSLR that has the same AF system as it's flagship DSLR. There is only one other time a Canon non-flagship camera having a flagship camera's AF system but it's in the film SLR days. When it was launched, many agreed that the line between the 5D series and 1D series has closed up significantly. The same AF system rumored to be on 7D2 has yet to be confirmed and even it's true, I see the reason behind this strategy as explained in my previous post.

It will be quite difficult to see a 70D which specs so good that I can call it the 5D3's crop equivalent. Just look at the 6D - how much Canon has taken off from the 5D3 to make it an entry level FF camera. Do you think 70D will have the same 61 AF-pt system? I doubt so. Same level of ISO management for an APS-C? If 7D2's rumored ISO improvement is true, then I doubt 70D will be as good as 7D2 in order not to cannibalize on 7D2's sale. There is still a chance since if 7D2 is possible, then technologically it can be possible for 70D, but if Canon wants it or not.

What about swivel screen? It's a big selling point of 60D. If 70D keeps this feature, then weather seal is compromised. Dual card slots on 70D? I doubt so.

I think Canon has always been clear in their product segment (it's a double edge sword). Even for the 5D3 - on paper it doesn't seem to be a big deal compared to 5D2, but 5D2 and Canon users will understand it's significant improvement once handling the 5D3. It may not be much, it is usually not much, but sufficient enough to address the concerns of its users and will stop at a point to prevent cannibalization of sales from a higher end product.

Same goes to 70D - personally, I expect Canon to bring it back to the expectations of previously 50D users, and maintain it as a XXD line of product only, and maintain at that level of pricing.

And don't forget - 7D line is supposed to be Canon's King of APS-C - they won't be so stupid to build a 70D that kills both 7D line and 5D line sales.

+1 to your comments.

+2 to your comments except for one small change...

I think that the 5D3 is a big improvement to the 5D2. What was lacking in the 5D2 was a robust AF and all the technological improvements seen in the 7D1. The introduction of the 5D3 more than compensated was what lacking in the AF of the 5D2 with 61 points and one of the best AF systems in the industry. Instead of Canon catching up to Nikon in the AF department, it is now Nikon catching up to Canon. The Lens Rental tests makes this very clear with the lack of standard deviations well in favour of Canon.

Another huge improvement in the 5D3 is its low light capabilities. Again, this is something that Nikon cannot replicate with its D800 model.

Add to the above huge improvements are all the little improvements made to the 5D3 that were introduced with the 7D1 but missing in the 5D2. The total package make the 5D3 one of the most sought after cameras in the industry.

One last improvement which gets very little mention by anyone, is Canon's obvious commitment to quality in the 5D3 model. While the Nikon suffers from focusing issues and green tint problems, the launch of the 5D3 went relatively unscathed. The only small issue that came up was the light leak issue which in the real world did not affect the IQ of photos in any significant way. Despite this, Canon was on top of it asking people to have their cameras modified to eliminate this issue altogether.

I believe that the 5D3 was a godsend to Canon users and for that matter, the entire market in general. It will be regarded as an industry leader for quite some time.

+2 to your comments except for one small change...

I think that the 5D3 is a big improvement to the 5D2. What was lacking in the 5D2 was a robust AF and all the technological improvements seen in the 7D1. The introduction of the 5D3 more than compensated was what lacking in the AF of the 5D2 with 61 points and one of the best AF systems in the industry. Instead of Canon catching up to Nikon in the AF department, it is now Nikon catching up to Canon. The Lens Rental tests makes this very clear with the lack of standard deviations well in favour of Canon.

Another huge improvement in the 5D3 is its low light capabilities. Again, this is something that Nikon cannot replicate with its D800 model.

Add to the above huge improvements are all the little improvements made to the 5D3 that were introduced with the 7D1 but missing in the 5D2. The total package make the 5D3 one of the most sought after cameras in the industry.

One last improvement which gets very little mention by anyone, is Canon's obvious commitment to quality in the 5D3 model. While the Nikon suffers from focusing issues and green tint problems, the launch of the 5D3 went relatively unscathed. The only small issue that came up was the light leak issue which in the real world did not affect the IQ of photos in any significant way. Despite this, Canon was on top of it asking people to have their cameras modified to eliminate this issue altogether.

I believe that the 5D3 was a godsend to Canon users and for that matter, the entire market in general. It will be regarded as an industry leader for quite some time.

Well, having owned the 5D2 and subsequently, 5D3 before, I agree with you. But since there are other kind of views, I'm just making my comments neutral ;p

Well, having owned the 5D2 and subsequently, 5D3 before, I agree with you. But since there are other kind of views, I'm just making my comments neutral ;p

Ha ha! Looks like we both can agree that the 5D3 is an amazing camera. Let's just go out and take some photos! :D

Based on Canon's strategy, I don't think so. What kind of specs do you have to cramp into 70D to make it earn the moniker of "5D3's crop equivalent?"

It will be difficult. 5D3 is the only DSLR that has the same AF system as it's flagship DSLR. There is only one other time a Canon non-flagship camera having a flagship camera's AF system but it's in the film SLR days. When it was launched, many agreed that the line between the 5D series and 1D series has closed up significantly. The same AF system rumored to be on 7D2 has yet to be confirmed and even it's true, I see the reason behind this strategy as explained in my previous post.

It will be quite difficult to see a 70D which specs so good that I can call it the 5D3's crop equivalent. Just look at the 6D - how much Canon has taken off from the 5D3 to make it an entry level FF camera. Do you think 70D will have the same 61 AF-pt system? I doubt so. Same level of ISO management for an APS-C? If 7D2's rumored ISO improvement is true, then I doubt 70D will be as good as 7D2 in order not to cannibalize on 7D2's sale. There is still a chance since if 7D2 is possible, then technologically it can be possible for 70D, but if Canon wants it or not.

What about swivel screen? It's a big selling point of 60D. If 70D keeps this feature, then weather seal is compromised. Dual card slots on 70D? I doubt so.

I think Canon has always been clear in their product segment (it's a double edge sword). Even for the 5D3 - on paper it doesn't seem to be a big deal compared to 5D2, but 5D2 and Canon users will understand it's significant improvement once handling the 5D3. It may not be much, it is usually not much, but sufficient enough to address the concerns of its users and will stop at a point to prevent cannibalization of sales from a higher end product.

Same goes to 70D - personally, I expect Canon to bring it back to the expectations of previously 50D users, and maintain it as a XXD line of product only, and maintain at that level of pricing.

And don't forget - 7D line is supposed to be Canon's King of APS-C - they won't be so stupid to build a 70D that kills both 7D line and 5D line sales.

Ah... I love camera rumors, really a great conversation starter haha.

So I guess Canon's strategy (in terms of target market)

[APS-C] Affordable/Basic: 1100D (though I do see Canon might abandon this series in fav of EOS-M series)

[APS-C] Entry: 650D/700D

Next upgrade path: FF or APS-C

(1a) FF Entry: 6D (1b) APS-C Intermediate: 60D/70D

Pro upgrade path:

(2a) FF Pro: 5Dm3 (2b) APS-C Pro: 7D/7Dm2

Top Tier:

One and only: 1DX

Maybe Canon might slot in the long rumored high pixel-count 1 series?

Last edited:
Ah... I love camera rumors, really a great conversation starter haha.

So I guess Canon's strategy (in terms of target market)

[APS-C] Affordable/Basic: 1100D (though I do see Canon might abandon this series in fav of EOS-M series)

[APS-C] Entry: 650D/700D

Next upgrade path: FF or APS-C

(1a) FF Entry: 6D (1b) APS-C Intermediate: 60D/70D

Pro upgrade path:

(2a) FF Pro: 5Dm3 (2b) APS-C Pro: 7D/7Dm2

Top Tier:

One and only: 1DX

Maybe Canon might slot in the long rumored high pixel-count 1 series?

That's a pretty good synopsis of the future market.

70D and 60D is not even a match for 5D3, lol.

1DX is the result of the merger of the 1D line with the 1Ds line, providing both resolution and FPS+high ISO performance of both lines.

7D was designed to be the cheaper alternative to the 1D4 while 5D2 was aimed to be the cheaper alternative to the 1Ds3.

When the 5D3 specs was launched, may credited the 5D3 to be the poor man's 1DX, as it sports many of the 1DX core features and sporting half of it's max frame rate at half of it's price.

If the 7D2 indeed has the same 61 AF-point array as the 5D3 and 1DX, then Canon's intention is clear. Those who cannot afford the 1DX can have two options. If you need the benefits of FF, such as for studio and portraiture work, go for the 5D3. Those who need the fast AF and high FPS, go for the 7D2. If you happen to need both, you can still buy a 5D3 and a 7D2 and have almost all the main benefits of the 1DX, but it's still cheaper.

Yes, just like last time many said that a 5D2 and 7D made a great combo.
i guess 5D3 and 7D2 will be a better combo.
if all are true,this may be another option for me to consider.

Last edited:
i think 7d ii and 6d is a good combo...5d3 is like the fusion of 2. 1DX to me is the "level up" version of 5d3.

you know like how pokemon evolve? joking..

I personally feel Canon will never bring xxD series back to the 40D/50D times whereby its of higher-quality built and features (wheel dial). 7D has taken over the semi-pro/pro APS-C title that xxD series have been holding for years.

I do think Canon might target the rumored 70D to new Canon users rather than current xxxD upgraders and that the price gap between 70D and 7Dm2 will be even bigger than current 60D & 7D.

Will be good if canon can come up a FF 61mp cam with option for Crop to 1.6x (24mp), the view finder display also adjust in proportion & AF points re-space for easy of composing when crop mode then no need FF or crop dilemma. :D

In my opinion, the biggest challenge for canon is not more/special feature in new crop cam or categorizing issue on the new crop cam in their line up but pricing them to be competitive for sales. By offering a multi cam-3500 AF system at USD1200 and if sensor high iso & DR performance is better than current D7000, then there will pressure on canon pricing for similar product. If its alternative option to camera such as D7100 is more expensive and important performance benchmark such as AF system, metering, white balacing, sensor & so on are below cost/performance index of its competitor, its market share of that segment may be eroded.

I personally feel Canon will never bring xxD series back to the 40D/50D times whereby its of higher-quality built and features (wheel dial). 7D has taken over the semi-pro/pro APS-C title that xxD series have been holding for years.

I do think Canon might target the rumored 70D to new Canon users rather than current xxxD upgraders and that the price gap between 70D and 7Dm2 will be even bigger than current 60D & 7D.

I think so too. I am sure there will be some upgrades in features but the high quality build from 50D on the 70D.....nah.....dun tink so.

why? 7D is APS-C.

on contrary,another reason to keep my 1D4.haha
iam only appealed by its MP and 61 FP.
but still can live without them. :)

One major reason I kept my 1D4 despite the temptation of going for two 5D3s is that the 1D4 has "range" and very decent ISO performance (6400 is the max I will go though) which makes it a nice stage cam as my 70200II now "becomes" a 91-260 f/2.8 and in some situation still very good with the 1.4 extender III. The sports AF is a bonus as I dont really shoot much sports.

If the 7D2 is gonna have improved AF from the 7D (which I find good enough for my needs) and same iso performance as the 1D4 than I'm gonna get it as the 1.6 crop means my 70200II gets even "longer" at the 200mm end to "become" a 320 f/2.8

But of course I will miss the built of the 1D4 but I guess its a give and take.

2013-pred-434x575.jpg

2013 Predictions for Canon EOS Products
February 19, 2013

From Nippon Magazine
A Japanese magazine has posted their predictions as to what they think Canon will be releasing in 2013. The list falls in line with most things we’ve heard, except for the last camera mentioned.

EOS 70D – March 2013
EOS 700D – June 2013
EOS Me – July 2013
EOS 7D Mark II – August 2013
EOS 3D – October 2013

The first four on the list are a lock to be coming in 2013, and the timing looks correct as well. As for the October announcement, I’ve heard nothing regards to that. I was told by a great source that Canon would be releasing 3 DSLRs and 1 EOS M body in 2013. However, that does leave a loophole for an “announcement” of another body, even if it isn’t available for purchase until 2014.

2013 Predictions for Canon EOS Products
February 19, 2013

From Nippon Magazine
A Japanese magazine has posted their predictions as to what they think Canon will be releasing in 2013. The list falls in line with most things we’ve heard, except for the last camera mentioned.

EOS 70D – March 2013
EOS 700D – June 2013
EOS Me – July 2013
EOS 7D Mark II – August 2013
EOS 3D – October 2013

The first four on the list are a lock to be coming in 2013, and the timing looks correct as well. As for the October announcement, I’ve heard nothing regards to that. I was told by a great source that Canon would be releasing 3 DSLRs and 1 EOS M body in 2013. However, that does leave a loophole for an “announcement” of another body, even if it isn’t available for purchase until 2014.

If these predictions come true, it should make for an interesting year. March and the rumoured 70D is just around the corner.

One major reason I kept my 1D4 despite the temptation of going for two 5D3s is that the 1D4 has "range" and very decent ISO performance (6400 is the max I will go though) which makes it a nice stage cam as my 70200II now "becomes" a 91-260 f/2.8 and in some situation still very good with the 1.4 extender III. The sports AF is a bonus as I dont really shoot much sports.

If the 7D2 is gonna have improved AF from the 7D (which I find good enough for my needs) and same iso performance as the 1D4 than I'm gonna get it as the 1.6 crop means my 70200II gets even "longer" at the 200mm end to "become" a 320 f/2.8

But of course I will miss the built of the 1D4 but I guess its a give and take.

1D4 is definitely a decent camera to keep.
but on 2nd thought,with the improved AF and higher MP on 7D2,i may really go for 7D2(for the reach,MP and FPS) and 5D3(for FF and its ISO performance).
yes,i will miss the built too.
but getting a 1DX and 7D2 doesn't make great sense.

I like the way Canon markets 61 AF points.

But I don't need 61 AF Points.

I just need 25 kick-ass ones that are evenly spaced and covers the entire viewfinder (stopping about 10-20% from the edges).

Last edited:
BraveHart said:
I like the way Canon markets 61 AF points.

But I don't need 61 AF Points.

I just need 25 kick-ass ones that are evenly spaced and covers the entire viewfinder (stopping about 10-20% from the edges).

Yup, its not about how many AF points they have but how they are space throughout the view. And of course, 7D have all 19 cross-typed AF. Wonder how many they put in on mark 2.

If these predictions come true, it should make for an interesting year. March and the rumoured 70D is just around the corner.

It is interesting, and I wonder what they will pack in a 7D II.....

I see yen falling and hoping that this will translate to some price drop....... :think:

Aiming 6D.......

The original 7D was a revolutionary camera at the time of launch. I am hoping that the 7D2 will keep the same features and improve on the current feature set (AF, low light capability, sensor, mp's, etc.). WiFi and GPS are nice to have but I would readily give them up in exchange for a decent price.

The original 7D was a revolutionary camera at the time of launch. I am hoping that the 7D2 will keep the same features and improve on the current feature set (AF, low light capability, sensor, mp's, etc.). WiFi and GPS are nice to have but I would readily give them up in exchange for a decent price.

+1. not forgetting about the usefulness of f8 AF capabilty in improved AF feature

I would hazard a guess and say the 7DmkII will be very close to what these rumoured specs are. And the 70D will be a up-res'd 7D at 24MP with most of the features of the original 7D, minus the weather proofing build. A build quality closer to the 40D/50D/60D.
Its a camera they will target to be priced below the D7100 and the 7DMkII one that will compete head-on with the long overdue D400.

Status
Not open for further replies.