Canon 7D. Home run? Disappointment?

7D. Home Run OR Disappointment.

Results are only viewable after voting.

FF camera with 11 FPS and 18MP, usable pics at ISO 12800.:)
Would be more interested in new lenses though...I want my 12-24 f2.8 haha

7D is already 18MP and 1DsMkIII is already 21MP. I won't be impressed unless the 1D/DsMkIV does at least 15fps (min video frame rate) and at least 30MP. Then that will really screw Leica's S2 medium format :bsmilie: . Throw in 64 AFP x-type all over :thumbsup:

Canon 12-24f2.8. Going by Canon's UWA effort, expect serious barrel distortion..lol

7D is already 18MP and 1DsMkIII is already 21MP. I won't be impressed unless the 1D/DsMkIV does at least 15fps (min video frame rate) and at least 30MP. Then that will really screw Leica's S2 medium format :bsmilie: . Throw in 64 AFP x-type all over :thumbsup:

Canon 12-24f2.8. Going by Canon's UWA effort, expect serious barrel distortion..lol
I thought the EF-S 10-22's distortion was pretty low leh.. or 10x1.6=16 still considered WA instead of UWA?

12fps at 30mp sounds more realistic.. Lol. See how tech has advanced!

There are some online video dudes adapting old cine prime / zoom lenses onto the 7D ( which will otherwise vignette on a larger sensor like 5D2) .

Thats a home run for video heads

Ryan

Someone from a different forum got their pre-orders of the 7D. He posted a thread about his first week with the 7D..

Seems that there are those who can't get used to 7D as a backup body to their FF

;)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583946

That is fast. Someone already trying to sell off 7D. :bsmilie: Amazing how a new body and lens can trigger so much selling and buying activities. And there is rumour of more new bodies and lenses next year. lol

Last edited:
It can even be a fisheye sold as a rectilinear lens but they'd better put on a filter thread in front of it to shut those bitchers up.....

Oops I do bitch quite a lot about the inability to screw from the front. It is quite troublesome to insert filters from the rear. I have grown to accept the flaw knowing the Sigma can help me think straight. :)

That is fast. Someone already trying to sell off 7D. :bsmilie: Amazing how a new body and lens can trigger so much selling and buying activities. And there is rumour of more new bodies and lenses next year. lol

cool
mind letting the cat out of the bag? :angel:

Some photographers have been attaching audio cables to the Canon 7D.

Seems like some users of the Canon 7D are experiencing overheating sensors when taking videos.

B&H Photo has just posted a hot deal on their Canon 7D. It's now only US$1699.95 (body only)! Here's the direct link to Canon 7D in B&H Photo.

Amazon has it at US$1916.

US$1,699.00 is the SRP so B&H and Amazon (who is also selling at $1699.99) is actually selling above the SRP. Maybe short supply of 7D is allowing retailers to sell as high as US$1,900+.

Getting back to the original intent of this thread, "Canon 7D: Home run? Disappointment?

If DP-Review is any indication, Canon seems to have hit a home run. It's 31 page, in-depth review puts the 7D at the fore-front of all APS-C cameras.

After a long list of "Pros" and a short list of "Cons", the final verdict was....

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Any surprises here?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/

LOL, I guess we have to give dpreview the benefit of doubt.

Nowadays buying a DSLR is like buying any electronic gadget, the latest
tend to be the greatest due to technology improvement. Unless the manufacturer
make a mistake by rushing a product to market (50D?) or make certain
sacrifices to fulfill a lower price point (1000D?), it is safe to say that most
mid to high end DSLR will be "Highly Recommended".

I think the depth of your pocket will ultimately be the determining factor.