Canon 7D for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that too advanced?
I am a newbie to DSLRs - am decent with a point and shoot and proficient with photoshop but wanting to move on to the realm of DSLRs...
Checking out the Canon 7D at the moment, or the 60D (though the body looks brittle...)
Any veteran advice and acquaintance would be appreciated!

Cheers!
Carl

Go for the 7D! Like the others have said, go for the best camera body you can afford. Lens collection is a growing process so you can take your time with those, start with the 50mm 1.8 as your first and move from there. I recommend the 1.8 because not only is it the cheapest lens money can buy but it is also one of the most popular because it is sharper and lighter than a kit lens. Also, it will keep up with your 7 month old kid who will be moving quite a lot and you'll need a very fast lens for that (kit lenses will be slow). Trust me, my nephew was very hard to keep up because we were indoors, couldn't have too much light, didn't want to use flash and didn't want to make a lot of noise lol, you get the picture. You need a fast lens (prime).

As for zoom lenses, I have a Tokina 116 which doesn't have much zoom (11-16mm only) but it is very sharp for shooting landscape or group shots in tight spaces. The middle range, people seem to go for 17-85,15-85,18-200 etc. Forget the highly rated (and more expensive) 70-200mm lenses unless you can afford them.

Once your kid grows up and you can venture outdoors more, the zoom lenses will be fine in good lighting, the prime lenses will be even better.

I was like u, can't decide the 60D or 7D (upgrade from 450D). I myself also not pro and worry advance camera will be hard to learn etc etc. But then as long as u willing to learn n try out, nothing impossible.
The thing I like most abt 60D is the movable LCD, but I like the speed and 19AF on 7D, and also it easier to get to the setting at 7D. Go and try out and feel both the camera. For me I like both, but I like the grip on 7D more so in end I jump straight into 7D (with BIG hole in my wallet). But if budget a issue, can go for 60D with some lens.
Now there a promotion if u register warranty online, u can get the 50mm 1.8f lens at $60. (not sure when it end). Although it a cheap lens but the feedback I saw/heard are quite good on this lens. Had try few shot on my new 7D, I kind of like the picture. :)
Also there purchase with purchase for the speedlite n battery grip when u get the 7D.

I really appreciate all your comments!

MrSamo - very sound advice on the 50mm 1.8 when it comes to kids.
Best of all it is really affordable as a start (to the relatively expensive 7D)!

Huatman - actually ironically the thing i didn't like about the 60D is the movable LCD haha... it feels like a... videocam?!
Those purchases you mentioned are with HarveyNorman over Sitex?

I began with an advanced P&S camera. Later after doing much research on DSLRs I decided to go with a CSC camera instead (Samsung NX10).

This is mainly because I don't care for the bulk and weight of a DSLR body. Also I don't think I really need the advanced features on a modern DSLR body. These features don't improve on your image quality anyway (all of them are APS-C sized sensors with similar results). But I usually shoot RAW in M mode or A priority, so I prefer to stick to basics rather than let the camera do the work for me.

I began with an advanced P&S camera. Later after doing much research on DSLRs I decided to go with a CSC camera instead (Samsung NX10).

This is mainly because I don't care for the bulk and weight of a DSLR body. Also I don't think I really need the advanced features on a modern DSLR body. These features don't improve on your image quality anyway (all of them are APS-C sized sensors with similar results). But I usually shoot RAW in M mode or A priority, so I prefer to stick to basics rather than let the camera do the work for me.

Fair enough, but currently , AF speed still remains an issue with large sensors EVIL cameras.

Advance features on DSLR would normally refers other aspects that makes shooting your subject with much ease . Not so much of automating the shooting process.

Fair enough, but currently , AF speed still remains an issue with large sensors EVIL cameras.

I disagree. CSC contrast detect focus speeds are now comparable to phase detect AF systems. Especially with recent firmware updates. Also they are consistently more accurate with a variety of lenses. Some lenses need to be calibrated for use with phase-detect, not so with contrast detect.

Advance features on DSLR would normally refers other aspects that makes shooting your subject with much ease . Not so much of automating the shooting process.

For example? I would say most of these features are not necessary for a non-professional.

Anyway, depends on what the OP wants.

Samsung NX10 - just read the review, not bad.
But purists still believe in DSLRs - though I am suddenly unsure how these CSC/4-thirds compare with DSLRs...
Looks like I need more help!!!

A good way to decide the value of a camera is to go by image sensor size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

Generally speaking, the larger the sensor, the better the image quality in terms of dynamic range and image noise.

Sensor size is generally proportional to price. Regular P&S cameras with 1/2.6" sized sensors go for around SGD$100 to 500 depending on optics and features. Advanced P&S (1/1.6") like the Panasonic LX5, Canon S95, Samsung EX1 and Nikon P7000 go for around SGD$700+.

Most mainstream DSLRs use APS-C sized sensors. Example: the range from Nikon D3100 to Nikon D300s all use APS-C. The D300s is a great camera - great for professional use, fast shooting speed, customisation, rugged body, pentaprism etc. But in terms of image quality, it may not be significantly better than an entry level Nikon, as sensor size is the same. Newer technology may improve the sensor though. So the newer D3100 may have better image quality than the upmarket D300s, but may still lose out on features. So the question is, will you pay more for features, or are you more interested in image quality?

The Samsung NX10 uses an APS-C sensor, meaning mainstream DSLR image quality.

The sensor technology isn't quite cutting edge, but the available optics are great. Portability is unmatched. Features are good enough for the hobbyist and enthusiast. It's also got a powerful on board flash and good battery life.

4/3rds cameras use a smaller sensor. The image quality is not bad though. But I think the price is too high.

Speaking of sensor, I read that my D50 sensor (old camera) is still larger than my super duper Canon (just got it today).

The megapixels of the D50 however is only 6 megapixels whereas the canon is 18!..:bsmilie:

I would really like to have jumped onto the 4/3 bandwagon, the size is perfect.

Guess my heart still lies with the 7D...
Tried the 5Dmk1 over this weekend and had a great experience!

I bought the Canon 7D in the end!
And have collected a few lenses to try out the different ranges...
But there will be lots to learn from all you masters out here...
Do offer some tips if you can!

Cheers!

Congrats
join various outings to learn from different people, if you're the type to learn more by shooting with others.
even if you shoot alone, just go for it. find the best way to learn
:D

I bought the Canon 7D in the end!
And have collected a few lenses to try out the different ranges...
But there will be lots to learn from all you masters out here...
Do offer some tips if you can!

Cheers!

well no camera is to advance if your willing to learn =)

Status
Not open for further replies.