Canon 75-300mm IS vs 70-300mm IS lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

genekwek

Jan 23, 2006
Singapore
Dear Canographers,

APART from the zoom ranges, does anyone know any other differences between these 2 lenses? I hear 75mm-300mm IS is older model, and has problems. That's why upgraded to 75-300mm IS. Is that true?

Anyone?

70-300mm IS USM is sharper..

genekwek said:
Dear Canographers,

APART from the zoom ranges, does anyone know any other differences between these 2 lenses? I hear 75mm-300mm IS is older model, and has problems. That's why upgraded to 75-300mm IS. Is that true?

Anyone?

The difference between 70-300 and older 75-300?

- faster focusing
- shaper images (included one UD element)
- latest generation IS (2 models: "normal" and "pan")

and of course higher price.

CSlye said:
The difference between 70-300 and older 75-300?

- faster focusing
- shaper images (included one UD element)
- latest generation IS (2 models: "normal" and "pan")

and of course higher price.

Oh ic. Thanks for all those info. But it seems there's some technical problems with 70-300mm that Canon is solving.

Quoted from USA Canon:
"To Customers Who Use the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens:

Thank you very much for your patronage of our products.

We recently informed you of a phenomenon in which some images captured by the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM lens appear in insufficient resolution. This phenomenon may be seen at the edge of the frame at the 300mm setting when the camera is held vertically.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience that this phenomenon represents for customers who use this lens and appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

Affected Products:

We have been studying the symptoms of this phenomenon in order to determine its precise cause and to develop an appropriate remedy. We have now determined the cause and have developed the remedy.
This phenomenon affects all EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM lenses with a "0" or "1" in the third digit of the (8 digit) serial number. Products that have a third digit of "2" or higher in their serial number are not affected."

So Canon users, if buying, do remember to look at serial number and get the "2" ones instead of "0" or "1"!

Just make sure the one you buy don' have this problem lor.. Got some selling one in B&S.. The one I just sold didn't have this problem.. I didn't take note of the serial number though..

genekwek said:
Oh ic. Thanks for all those info. But it seems there's some technical problems with 70-300mm that Canon is solving.

Quoted from USA Canon:
"To Customers Who Use the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens:

Thank you very much for your patronage of our products.

We recently informed you of a phenomenon in which some images captured by the EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM lens appear in insufficient resolution. This phenomenon may be seen at the edge of the frame at the 300mm setting when the camera is held vertically.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience that this phenomenon represents for customers who use this lens and appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

Affected Products:

We have been studying the symptoms of this phenomenon in order to determine its precise cause and to develop an appropriate remedy. We have now determined the cause and have developed the remedy.
This phenomenon affects all EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM lenses with a "0" or "1" in the third digit of the (8 digit) serial number. Products that have a third digit of "2" or higher in their serial number are not affected."

So Canon users, if buying, do remember to look at serial number and get the "2" ones instead of "0" or "1"!

jeryltan said:
Just make sure the one you buy don' have this problem lor.. Got some selling one in B&S.. The one I just sold didn't have this problem.. I didn't take note of the serial number though..

U don't have this problem? Hmmm... I wonder if it affects SOME of the "0" and "1" serial lens only.

Why did you sell you 70-300 IS, may i ask?

genekwek said:
U don't have this problem? Hmmm... I wonder if it affects SOME of the "0" and "1" serial lens only.

Well, if you want to be more "safe" then get the 75-300mm IS (think it may still be available in the market) or the 70-200 f4L non IS (hopefully the weather will turn brighter after a while or just carry a tripod with you). Of course you can always bite the bullet by buying the 70-200 f2.8 with IS (if you don't mind the weight, 100mm less and the $$$). In any case. if you do get the 75-300 IS, try not to use the 70-300mm IS ... trust me! Actually, if you have tried using both lenses (in the camera shop, borrowed or rented etc.), you probably would not have started this thread at all :)

CSlye said:
Well, if you want to be more "safe" then get the 75-300mm IS (think it may still be available in the market) or the 70-200 f4L non IS (hopefully the weather will turn brighter after a while or just carry a tripod with you). Of course you can always bite the bullet by buying the 70-200 f2.8 with IS (if you don't mind the weight, 100mm less and the $$$). In any case. if you do get the 75-300 IS, try not to use the 70-300mm IS ... trust me! Actually, if you have tried using both lenses (in the camera shop, borrowed or rented etc.), you probably would not have started this thread at all :)

Ok,to be fare,i own both lenses 70-200f4 n 70-300 IS.Both produce nice n sharp pics.The only thing is built quality.If u dont mine built quality and need 100mm more go for 70-300IS.But as what they said,check the lens before buying...I still love my 70-300IS n 70-200 f4.Both works well on my 5d n 1dMII..
here are sample pics frm 70-300 at 300mm

1a-1.jpg

I already have 70-200mm f/2.8L and 70-200mm f/4L.. Too many already, buay tahan :sweat:

genekwek said:

Why did you sell you 70-300 IS, may i ask?

ComB said:
Ok,to be fare,i own both lenses 70-200f4 n 70-300 IS.Both produce nice n sharp pics.The only thing is built quality.If u dont mine built quality and need 100mm more go for 70-300IS.But as what they said,check the lens before buying...I still love my 70-300IS n 70-200 f4.Both works well on my 5d n 1dMII..

Wa ... bery sharp! Almost cut my fingers!!! kekeke

ComB said:

1a-1.jpg

WAH! It is sharp and NICE!!!! Is your 70-300 the affected lens as canon mentioned (serial number "0" or "1")? If yes, I don't see any problems leh.... Do you have any portriat shots, instead of landscape shots at 300mm? Wanna see if there's REALLY a problem....

The 70-300 IS lens is an AWESOME lens for its price.

It is only let down by its built. Between this and the 70-200 f/4L, I will certainly pick the IS lens 'cos it is far more adaptable.

I consider the EFS 10-22, EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS and 70-300 IS lenses to be new holy zoom trinity for APS-C shooters in terms of performance to price ratio. And of course, I own all three. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

genekwek said:
WAH! It is sharp and NICE!!!! Is your 70-300 the affected lens as canon mentioned (serial number "0" or "1")? If yes, I don't see any problems leh.... Do you have any portriat shots, instead of landscape shots at 300mm? Wanna see if there's REALLY a problem....

Yes,I do have some potrait shots.I will post when i'm free becos now I'm in Japan working.Mine is the affected serial number.But look like not much diff,maybe very small.

genekwek said:

OK,here are justs sample shots using this lens with 2 type camera body (5D n 1DmII).No special about the pics.No flash used,shots taken at 300mm,shutter at 1/30,1/40 n 1/50sec at ISO 1250 n 1600 handheld...it also produce nice BG(bokeh)..
a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

thw said:
The 70-300 IS lens is an AWESOME lens for its price.

It is only let down by its built. Between this and the 70-200 f/4L, I will certainly pick the IS lens 'cos it is far more adaptable.

I consider the EFS 10-22, EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS and 70-300 IS lenses to be new holy zoom trinity for APS-C shooters in terms of performance to price ratio. And of course, I own all three. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Amen! :)

Hi Comb,

The pics are indded kukkirishita des neh ...:bsmilie:

Cheers!

CSlye said:
Hi Comb,

The pics are indded kukkirishita des neh ...:bsmilie:

Cheers!

Hi,it sound Japanese....:cool:

ComB said:
Hi,it sound Japanese....:cool:

hi so desu ... it means "clear" n "sharp" i think .... :bsmilie: