Canon 70 - 200mm f4 IS USM

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcess

Nov 25, 2007
Central
Hi all, anyone of u using the 70 - 200mm f4 IS USM?
In your view, do you find it to be a good lens?

Have any pictures to share and which camera model did u use to take the pictures...

Happy New Year!

Thanks!

One of the best Canon lenses in my opinion. There are tons of reviews online. Read up!;)

Yup i have read a few of them online... Wanna know what you guys and gals think of it... =)

It is a good lens of course. It's certainly a class above the rest of Canon's range.

I got no experience in that lens but had been using the 70-200mm f/2.8L USM instead on my 450D. It's extremely sharp and fast in AF. :thumbsup:

Read that it's one of the sharpest zoom offering from Canon. Light too.
Don't think you will need to contemplate too much with this lens, you can't go wrong with it. I have the non-IS version and I am loving it.

great lens, light and good for travel, zoom range was a little short for my 5D, otherwise i would not have sold it :)

Care to share some Pic? I find the f2.8 on the ex side for me... Well haven't really made up my mind yet... Might save extra to get the f2.8...

3117960907_4209744ee6_b.jpg

450D + 70-200mm f/2.8L USM @ 70mm
15sec

3119052458_8bbe125668_b.jpg

450D + 70-200mm f/2.8L USM @ 200mm
1/30sec

Think about whether you really need that extra stop.

Based on a technical review, the F4 version has the highest MTF values on any canon zoom lens.

Last edited:
Care to share some Pic? I find the f2.8 on the ex side for me... Well haven't really made up my mind yet... Might save extra to get the f2.8...

We are on the same boat. But I had decided to get the 2.8 one and saving up now. The one I used to take those pics is borrowed from my friend.

For me, its an excellent lens for travel for candids and portraits.

Light and sharp.

Reading up a lot about it, feel like getting one.

Alot say its the sharpest of all 4 lenses in that range.. also tons of reviews out there saying its damn good. Google it, sure can find one.. But all say the same thing lar, lens very good and sharp.

Thanks for the pic ppl... =) Ya lor all say the same thing... I search youtube but most show the f2.8...

Ok, I posted this elsewhere before. Taken with the lens.

3009599467_e256b295b6.jpg

I am also saving up for 70-200 f4/L the non-IS version.. which is considered the best value for money and best of the group..
IMHO.... after reading a lot of reviews i am thinking as i am not a PRO photographer.. i will settle for this.. certainly f2.8/L IS USM is the best... but i was thinking do i need that as i am not a PRO but just a enthusiast..

@ahbian: woah.. nice shot.. even at f5 you have got a blurred background.. normally ppl achive this with f2.x something more wide open

Last edited:
I am also saving up for 70-200 f4/L the non-IS version.. which is considered the best value for money and best of the group..
IMHO.... after reading a lot of reviews i am thinking as i am not a PRO photographer.. i will settle for this.. certainly f2.8/L IS USM is the best... but i was thinking do i need that as i am not a PRO but just a enthusiast..

@ahbian: woah.. nice shot.. even at f5 you have got a blurred background.. normally ppl achive this with f2.x something more wide open

There has been many threads comparing the various 70-200mm L, IMHO, its basically a matter of budget vs portability.

I've made my decision after renting some and trying, so I would suggest the possibility of renting before purchase, since none of the 4 are exactly cheap.

As for the picture, I guess the background was helped by the fact that the girl was actually standing in a open space far from the back ground. What I was really happy with was the fast AF and sharpness of the lens since its kind of a grabbed shot.

Nice shots man... =)

I recently had the chance to try out this lens briefly at an event thanks to a photographer who lent me his and here's my thots:

Currently one of Canon's best offerings for the 70-200mm range IMO. For the (relatively affordable for most enthusiasts) price you get an all round superb lens, IQ is top notch even wide open. Lightweight and compact compared to its f2.8 brothers. IS is amazing...can get decently sharp pics even handholding at say 135mm range at 1/30s, if ur handholding technique is good.

Pros:

- Superb IQ, sharp, contrasty with great 'L' colours even wide open through the entire range
- Relatively lightweight and compact compared to the f2.8 versions
- IS is a major plus for this lens....the 3rd gen IS (up to 3 stops correction) is even better than the older f2.8 IS version

Cons:

- f4 (may be too slow for indoor unless u boost up ISO...not a problem for current gen DSLR bodies but maybe for older ones)
- Price might be a bit too steep for most beginners and amateurs, but u get what u pay for
- No tripod collar included, unlike the f2.8 versions (must buy separately - $$$)

Verdict: Highly recommended if u are looking for a good quality lens to cover the 70-200mm telezoom range and have the budget. But do take note that f4 maybe a bit dark for certain indoor scenario so make sure u have a faster lens on hand just in case.

This lens so impressed me that I am contemplating a switch from my current 70-200mm f2.8L (non IS)...the savings in weight and the IS are very tempting factors...but as I do shoot indoor events from time to time I would still need the f2.8 aperture, so still hanging on to my current f2.8. Perhaps I might do so if and when I get a current gen FF body. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.