Canon 70-200L f/2.8 (non IS) vs Sigma APO HSM 70-200 f/2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
kcky said:
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting either of these 2 lens but was wondering how comparble are they in terms optically, focusing speed, etc.
The main difference between them is of course, the price. ;)
Would like to seek the opinions of all users of both lens out there before I purchase one.
Appreciate for any comments. :)

So financially, I presume that u could afford up to the L lens? If so, spec for spec, the L is a better quality one...

I can't squeeze enough to get myself an L, so I got myself the Sigma one... I'm thoroughly satisfied with it in terms of image and performance... I've taken close to 2000 shots with it since I got it in May this yr (u might like to check out my links below to see my shots)... no complains so far...

Buy something u can afford... and let your photos do the rest of the talking... :)

PS: If ever I can afford it, I'd get an L too.... ;p

Someone posted the reply below to a similar question (can't remember word for word) but its very true.

Buy the Sigma and you'll wonder "what if" you bought the Canon. Buy the Canon and you WON'T wonder "what if" you bought the Sigma.

I've used both lenses and the main advantage of the Canon (as others have already noted) is the much quieter - and faster - AF, better resale value and piece of mind regarding compatibility with future EOS bodies.

Buy the L

1x budget (good) - get sigma if want f/2.8. if f-stop don't matter get canon f/4L

2x budget (better) - get canon f/2.8L (non-IS)

3x budget (best) - get canon f/2.8L IS

:)

Hi Jia Wang
Great Pictures. :thumbsup:
Alvin

Jia Wang said:
(u might like to check out my links below to see my shots

PS: If ever I can afford it, I'd get an L too.... ;p

I think the best way to deal with this is to buy what you need, how much you can afford, and what you are gonna use it for. Eg, if your non-pro body cannot stand a heavy shower, there is no use for excellent weather sealing. If you are just going to take some amateur shots of portraits, some short-range shots of birds/wildlife, no point going anal about 20% slower AF and 10% less sharp wide open lar if you are not going to earn from your shots.

Best thing i learnt, buy 2nd hand if you are unsure about usage. :) Let the first buyer take the main depreciation hit. Since you are asking this question, i think budget is a concern, go for the Sigma. Else you'd have just bought the IS version without any thoughts. :)

I have a macro 180mm 3.5, 1 stop down and slightly shorter focal length...

guess I dun need neither the 70-200L nor the 20-200 2.8 right?

I was thinking of getting the 70-200L but 200 is damn short for nature shooting....for protrait mayb ok...

Dun u all think so?

180mm f3.5 is a very good and sharp lens. if intend to get the 70-200 and use it at the 200mm end most of the time, there's no need for it.

Optically they are very close. But there is this heart or vain factor :embrass:
to feel more shiok owning a white lens. Of course quality and reliability are proven.
If you have the budget and treat the hobby seriously, get the L as investment.
Resale is also easier. 2nd hand Sigma and Tamron are not popular.
However, if you are rational and short on budget, Sigma is very good value for money.
Either way you are fine, but you are less likely to regret buying the L.
Cheers!

I've the Canon 70-200 F2.8L and the Sigma 80-400 OS. When I compare them with a resolution chart at 200mm F5.6, The Sigma has resolve more details than the Canon L, I'm quite amazing of the results :what: , at 400mm F5.6, the resolution is almost same as the Canon at 200mm F5.6. May be this is my Canon L isn't that sharp, just for my copy only.

hong2 said:
Resale is also easier. 2nd hand Sigma and Tamron are not popular.!

Don't think this is the case for the sigma 70-200. I have seen some rich guys buying 2nd hand of this Sigma for 1.1k in b&s forum. :sweat: Generally, 900-1k price range would have at least 2-3 buyers. All claimed 9/10 cosmetically. :) Not bad for a $1250 brand new 3rd party lens.

I've had it, loved it and just sold it :( . Not due to any optical deficiency, but simply because I needed IS. If Sigma had this version with OS, I believe it would be a huge seller!

Couple of samples, compressed for web;

StPeters_FromDome2.jpg

StCatharine2.jpg

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.